My Jig Saw Bit the Dust

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

My Jig Saw Bit the Dust

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:48 am

:( Well, I got 2 days behind because my jig saw (Black and Decker) motor burned up. I can't complain; it served me well. I bought it at a pawn shop for $20 and I have used it on practically every carpentry project for the last 4 years. It's been on the cooling-board on the back porch for the last few days. I have not decided whether to bury it or perform an autopsy to determine the root cause (I really would just like to see what is inside. I may be able to repair it :R . :roll: )

At any rate, I got to Lowe's just before they closed and bought a DeWalt jig saw (Didn't want to, but could not finish cutting out my windows w/o it). I'm taking it back though. It uses the "T" mounting style blades. I have gobes of the "U" knotch style and my local ACE hardward store doesn't sell the "T" style. That makes all the difference when it's before 7:00PM and all I need are replacement blades. The Lowes and the Home Deport are miles away in a Wal-Mart-traffic congested area.

So long tried and true jig saw; you have more than paid for yourself...
:applause:
Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:53 am

...are you sure your ACE doesn't sell "em...they will be labeled as "BOSCH" type or "bayonet" type................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 am

I know the feeling. My old jig-saw came from my old manufacturing business...............then served me well for about 5 years in remodeling homes. I never use it in my custom furniture business, so when I pulled the old dusty thing out of the cabinet to check it out for teardrop work, I realized it had seen better days..........................and they were LONG AGO!!!!! :cry: I've been itching to get a Bosch 1590EVSK for when I might need it in my business. :twisted: So I guess it's off to Home Depot today to pick one up. (thank goodness it's a write-off for my business!) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 am

Yes, I am sure that my ACE store doesn't sell them. Sunday, I went to ACE and one of the guys and I looked over every blade carefully. I didn't want to buy new "T" blades, but the one that came with the saw was too short to cut all of the was through my door.

I wish I could write a new saw off my taxes...maybe as an educational expense...I have definitely gained a great "education" from this tear building experience.

Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Todah
You might think twice about returning it after you use that new Dewalt. My wife got me one for Xmas and I love it. A big vibration difference between it and my B&D. And the blades change out in a few seconds with no tools.
Heres some tools my grandmother gave me 20 years ago when my grandfather passed. They sure don't make them like that anymore. All aluminum bodies and they all still work. They were old when I got them.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:41 pm

Todah Tear wrote:I didn't want to buy new "T" blades,

Todah

TT, I buy 8/10/12 atta time for the very reason you describe...doan wanna run out in the middle of a job...go getcha a wide variety of blades, some spares and keep up with them(sometimes hard to do)...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ogeer3 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:51 pm

I used the TD project to justify a new jigsaw. I got the Bosch 1590 and I got to say it is by far the best one I have ever owned. I think it will cut anything and it is accurate as well. The "T" blades are a little pricy but I am still using the one that came with the saw and it is still sharp as can be. I am not sorry I spent the extra money on this saw.
Good tools are worth the extra money.

:thumbsup:
ogeer3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:00 pm

ogeer3,

I just got home from Home Depot. Tried the new jigsaw I mentioned, and couldn't be any more pleased. Gee, they sure have improved jigsaws since my old one was made 30 years ago!!!!! :lol:

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:21 pm

Growing up, I always used my dad's all aluminum bodied jigsaw. My wife bought me a jigsaw for Christmas about 6 years ago, I told her to get a specific saw. It actually sat for about a year before I used it. When I used it I was shocked, it night and day using the new saw compared to the old saws.

I have a Bosch saw and compared it to the DeWalt saw. They look very similar, I wouldn't doubt it if they are sourced from the same place.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Steve T., more power to you! I think that is great that you are able to get 20 years out of those tools :thumbsup:

Mad Jack, I usually get many blades at one time. That is the reason that I have so many of the "U" knotch kind. :lol: There is a SKILL jig say that has a insert for holding xtra blades.

There is nothing like having stop work, change clothes (get into street-worthy clothes) and go to the store for supplies.

The guy at ACE told me that Black and Decker had bought DeWalt.

Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:00 pm

I recently bought a Skillsaw... It takes both kinds of blades...

Right column, near top...

:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gerald_G » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:26 pm

I have a BOSCH jigsaw too, and find the blades although more costly, are worth the difference in quality. Over the weekend I was cutting through 1/4" steel bars 6" wide without difficulty.
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Another Bosch user here.

I make a living with power tools, and you find very few cheap ones in my collection. There are some brands that I just won't buy, they aren't worth the trouble.

That is my advice. If you are going to use a tool once, buy cheap, but if you are going to use fairly often, buy as good as you can afford.

Promise you the difference between a good Bosch and a cheap B&D is immense!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:31 pm

AMEN to that, Dave. I've got a shop full of expensive tools. I'll usually try to purchase the "Top Rated" tool if I plan on using it a lot or need it to do whatever it does really well..........but have to admit I've some Harbor Freight tools I use only "once in a blue moon" because whatever it is they do, I seldom need to do. The Bosch jigsaw I bought today is the highest rated one on the market today, and Bosch has held that distinction for about the past 4 years, I think.

Chris C

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Todah Tear wrote:The guy at ACE told me that Black and Decker had bought DeWalt.

Todah

I worked with a guy in North Carolina who used to work at a Black & Decker factory. He told me that B&D and DeWalt are made in the same place. That was almost 10 years ago so I don't know what they do now.

I think the B&D has hurt their reputation with all the "affordable tools" that they have been putting out in recent years. They probably kept the DeWalt name separate so it it wouldn't be accosiated with B&D. Don't know that for a fact, but that's what I think they did.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques