When the time comes, just bury me in it...

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

When the time comes, just bury me in it...

Postby Buckster » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:06 am

This is a continuation of a build idea that I have been working on for 6 years. I had the original post in Member Designs http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35068&p=637484#p637484 In the mean time, I have used Sketchup to modify the original design I aero streamed the body (which gave me more internal space) and the fender flares. I'll add a couple of computer fans for ventilating, powered by a small 12 volt battery. I hope to build this winter. I have gathered all the frame components. Check out my design, any comments are welcome.
Just to recap, my main goals are:
1. Low weight (250# or less), tow behind a 1200cc motorcycle
2. Foam/epoxy/fiberglass body 38" wide x 96" long x 40" high, single door, small trunk
3. Steel frame so I can weld it up myself
4. Torsion half axles (425#) with 5.70-12" tires and rims
5. Vacuum bag the flat panels before gluing together
Attachments
body 22.skp
Buckster teardrop
(731.55 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Time vs Money
Perfection vs Progress
Buckster
Teardrop Inspector

Re: When the time comes, just bury me in it...

Postby razorback » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:12 pm

We have camped with this guy several times at the LCG gathering. Here is his trailer he pulls behind his bike.
http://www.grossepointegothic.com/Event ... rce/51.htm
This was at the LCG V gathering.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:42 am

It just takes determination to make your dream a reality- For goodness sake, it's not like you are trying to build a flying saucer. ;)
Hoosiers are the best!
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Buckster » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:05 am

Thanks for the encouragement. This project is going to happen, just got a full cylinder of argon/co2 to get the welding started. I may extend the rear supports rearward about another 3 inches so I can bolt thru in the trunk area rather than the sleeping area. Still trying to decide how to construct the floor. I'm leaning toward 3/4" foam sandwiched between frp sheets glued with epoxy. That will give a water proof underside and easy to clean floor. Then I'll overhang the exterior layer of the walls over the exposed floor edges. I'll need to glue some hard plastic plugs at the through mounting holes. Once the frame and floor are completed the rest of the body should come together quickly. Plus getting the frame and floor done with increase the excitement of getting it done...
Time vs Money
Perfection vs Progress
Buckster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am

Another option for thru bolting would be to drill oversize holes in your foam before skinning; fill these with thickened epoxy; skin; and then drill the correct size bolt holes thru the whole assembly. That way you have a sleeve of epoxy around the bolt that won't crush, and the foam would be totally sealed.

Yet another option would be to drill the foam oversize; install the bottom skin with correct size holes (transfer mark the locations from the holes after drilling them in the trailer); insert waxed threaded rods from the bottom with a T-nuts near the top and use thickened epoxy to pot them into place; once the epoxy has cured remove the threaded rods; and then skin the top. This would leave no sign of the fasteners thru the top skin and would allow you to run bolts up thru from the bottom. By setting the T-nuts down in the hole a little ways and leaving some run-out space above, you can be sure to get full thread engagement in the nut without having to resort to special length bolts, or worrying about poking up thru the top skin. (I did something similar in a more traditional ply/foam/ply construction).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs