Non-gas rear hatch struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Non-gas rear hatch struts

Postby sunny16 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:26 pm

After long suffering and pondering, I came up with some non-gas struts for my rear hatch. I found some 3/4" aluminum tube (inside diameter) in the aluminum parts section at Lowe's. I then found that 1/2" copper pipe (outside diameter of .0625) fits nicely inside the aluminum tube. I then added some wood blocks and drilled thru the sides and used a carriage bolt, nuts and washers to make a stud to mount the tubes to. I still need to find a pin that will hold the tubes and hatch open. I capped the copper pipe for looks. It seems to work good so far. I will stain the blocks to match the wood and will cut the bolts down to the nylock nuts. I used ideas from others on this forum. Thanks! :thumbsup:

And I can still open the galley cabinet doors! That was a bit of a problem but it all worked out.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Someone back several months used coiled springs and short pieces of tubing. The middle portion was open so the springs could be bent and the hatch closed. When you opened it, the springs straightened out.... very simple and effective idea.....

Lots of neat ideas here, that's why I hang around with you guys../g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Steve_Cox with that spring extension idea, but some said it could catch a strong wind and close by itself .

SUNNY !!! BRILLIANT!!!! I have some sticks of metal conduit in the shop (left over from dad) and will have to check the size of it.

Does the copper tube slide easily inside the other metal tube, when you close the hatch? I've seen lots of people use a simple cotter pin to hold things in place, but that means you have one hand above you holding the hatch up and trying to put the pin in a little hole with the other hand.

I'm picturing some kind of "pin" or like a small bolt in place and it still lets the copper tubing slide out, then after the copper tube passes the correct point, the tension from the pin or bolt like thing would -snap- thru to make a stop for the tubing, therefore keeping it "up" ....

Guys, do you see what I'm talking about? I'll do some thinking , I would like to have non gas struts too, less maintenance. The only other idea I've pondered is something just like yours, bolted at the counter level, but not attached at the top. Then bring it down at 90* to lay across the counter while galley closed. When you open the hatch, then swing up the pole , and could have that block with the bolt extending out to slide it onto , then it will stay there, while you put on a wing nut or something.

Just brainstorming...

I'll be watching this thread! Great idea!!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby homeroast » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 pm

I will probably do like you have done, and go home-made w/ pin. I notice you chose neither a piano hinge nor hurricane hinge for your hatch. How's that working out? They look like standard plated interior door hinges to me. Do they provide enough strength?

Also, I saw some springs this weekend and considered that idea to keeping the hatch open but am afraid of accidentally nudging the spring and having it collapse on my head.

Has anyone used all thread on the end of a windshield wiper motor to automate the opening and closing of the hatch? Not terribly practical, but hella cool.
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Sunny16,

KISS is a good way to build a teardrop. You can make 'em as fancy or as simple as you like. Personally, I plan on using KISS when it comes to hatch props. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby sunny16 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:48 pm

The hinges work great as there is not a lot of weight in the rear hatch. I will cover the gap with a piece of rubber wide enough to cover the gap, hinge knuckle and use some aluminum strips to seal and hold it on. I will also use some gasket underneath. Can't be too careful when it comes to water.

And the pins will be something simple and easy to install and remove by one person. I can hold the hatch up and put one side in and then install the other pin with little effort. This also helps hold the hatch in place if there ever is a good wind. It won't fly up and drop on me! That could hurt. I thing Madjack had this same idea. I didn't come up with it on my own. Lots of reading here and experimenting. This IS a great bunch here.
:applause:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Sunny,

Looking good :thumbsup: The combination of you came up with looks like a perfect fit. Now all you need are a couple of Lynch Pins. The pin goes through the tube and the wire bail goes over the end of the pin keeping it in.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 pm

sunny16 wrote: I didn't come up with it on my own. Lots of reading here and experimenting. This IS a great bunch here.
:applause:

Hey, "creative thievery" is what this site is all about. You've just given Madjack the ultimate compliment. :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:59 pm

Arne, are these the springs that you are talking about?
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/329290035.htm

I need the hydraulic assist, my hatch weighs a ton! I still need to play with positioning though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:19 pm

yes, but I think there was a section of tubine top and bottom so only the middle bent...... very neat idea, and I don't think the wind would affect it much.... the only way it could was if the wind bent the spring... lifting the hatch would not bend the spring.... it would just settle back down.

I suspose there is the possibility of the hatch sail area overpowering the spring and going flying.... not good.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:22 pm

asianflava wrote:Arne, are these the springs that you are talking about?
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/329290035.htm

Rocky,

Those boat hatch springs are too short for a TearDrop hatch. They are only 11 1/2" long and pretty small diameter.

Here's the ones that worked really good. 1 inch diameter and 21" long.

Hatch closed photo
Hatch open photo

Sunny - sorry for the thread hijack.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:54 pm

I don't trust anyone who gets inside the galley and closes the hatch... it just ain't right/g/..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:04 pm

How about the pin that holds your trailer hitch in place? It's like a cotter pin with one straight side and one wiggly side....... :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:57 pm

Micro469 wrote:How about the pin that holds your trailer hitch in place? It's like a cotter pin with one straight side and one wiggly side....... :lol:

John,
You'd think that might be called a "Hitch Pin"? :lol: :lol:

But I think it's called a "Bridge Pin". But not like the bridge pin on a stringed instrument.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:15 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
Micro469 wrote:How about the pin that holds your trailer hitch in place? It's like a cotter pin with one straight side and one wiggly side....... :lol:

John,
You'd think that might be called a "Hitch Pin"? :lol: :lol:

But I think it's called a "Bridge Pin". But not like the bridge pin on a stringed instrument.

That's the one...... ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques