Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby ghcoe » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:21 am

I had been working on a larger trailer design for when I finished #1. Now that I am getting close to completion of #1 I have changed direction on my next trailer build. Seems that I am now in need of a smaller trailer for off road adventures. My current build has made me a believer in foam strength and I believe foam construction will make a great light off road trailer for most trails I will be on.

This build is to be shorter and narrower for easier rough terrain traversing. This drops the body length down to 6 1/2 feet, just long enough to sleep a 6' person comfortably. Width will be 4 feet, a little snuggly for two, but it will have to do. Width is limited to wheels that will need to follow TV wheels for ease of road navigation.

Construction will be drastically more simplified with only one entry door and one roofline angle. No built in galley, but a door for cooking supplies on one side and camping supplies on opposite side. I am trying to keep interior sleep area mostly free from camping gear, except maybe for larger items such as camp chairs/tables that would normally need to be used in a camp area anyway.

Trailer will most likely be a modified HF trailer with a single 2"x2" tube that will extend the tongue and run full length of trailer and have adaptions on both ends for use as a receiver. Receivers will allow use of different hitch types and accessories or pull points. Axle will be upgraded to a #3500 with brakes as well as longer softer springs.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (22.45 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: #2

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:51 am

Perhaps some type of bunk bed configuration would give you more sleeping room ... 4’ wide for two normal size people is actually 44” inside and a bit too crowded for anything but a sardine ... just sayin' ... don’t forget your wall thickness... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mushin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:45 am

I like the look, very similar to what I have in mind, only smaller/lighter.
Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:28 am

GPW wrote:Perhaps some type of bunk bed configuration would give you more sleeping room ... 4’ wide for two normal size people is actually 44” inside and a bit too crowded for anything but a sardine ... just sayin' ... don’t forget your wall thickness... :thinking:

Yeah, I did consider the wall thickness. In a effort to keep it simple and keep the wheels narrow enough to follow the TV's wheels (important for off road maneuvering) I just could not get it any wider. I could place the sleeping area above the wheels, but then the height got out of hand or complications in lift tops and such. The smallest wheel diameter I would want to run with this setup is a 31".

I call this "like back packing with a Jeep". You want to go as light as possible. Have you seen back packing tents? Same thing, real small.....

I do have plans for a addition of a RTT (Roof Top Tent). Then the tent may provide a better environment for two adults while the trailer provides comfort for smaller kid(s) and camp support items.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 am

Mushin wrote:I like the look, very similar to what I have in mind, only smaller/lighter.

Weird. I looked at your build and thought I have seen this before. I just joined the Tventuring site and commented on your build yesterday. Welcome aboard the TnTT. Yes I liked your build and though the same thing. Similar, but bigger, heavier. Check out my current build in my signature. A lot of build concepts there will be included in this build.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Even at this narrow you will be better off sleeping two, after all the walls will be warm instead of cold. Pile carpet on the inside wall will keep the moisture issues under control and make sleeping against them more comfortable.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:30 pm

rowerwet wrote:Even at this narrow you will be better off sleeping two, after all the walls will be warm instead of cold. Pile carpet on the inside wall will keep the moisture issues under control and make sleeping against them more comfortable.

I was thinking the same thing. Tent walls are cold and clammy and when you bump into them they get you wet if it is raining. Plus, if it is raining it is a real pain to break down and stow tents.

I like the idea of carpet to control moisture. Another problem solved. :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:52 pm

I did the same thing as far as making the axle lenth the same as my landcrusier but to get the xtra width i built over the top of my wheels.
The only issue ive encountered is its a bit on the high side to get in and out but thats easily sorted with some fold away steps and the storage gains underneath more than make up for it.
I havnt gone the full width of wheel to wheel but enough so as i can fit a queensize bed inside
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 pm

dales133 wrote:I did the same thing as far as making the axle lenth the same as my landcrusier but to get the xtra width i built over the top of my wheels.
The only issue ive encountered is its a bit on the high side to get in and out but thats easily sorted with some fold away steps and the storage gains underneath more than make up for it.
I havnt gone the full width of wheel to wheel but enough so as i can fit a queensize bed inside

No :pictures: ?
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm

I have on my build thread
"0k here we go"
The first few pages are the trailer and planning it.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 pm

dales133 wrote:I have on my build thread
"0k here we go"
The first few pages are the trailer and planning it.

Looks like a nice build. I would like to get down there sometime and drive the telegraph trail. Looks like a lot of fun...... :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks!
There are some amazing drives down here.
Im yet to do most but i intend to do as many as i can
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:43 pm

ghcoe wrote:
rowerwet wrote:Even at this narrow you will be better off sleeping two, after all the walls will be warm instead of cold. Pile carpet on the inside wall will keep the moisture issues under control and make sleeping against them more comfortable.

I was thinking the same thing. Tent walls are cold and clammy and when you bump into them they get you wet if it is raining. Plus, if it is raining it is a real pain to break down and stow tents.

I like the idea of carpet to control moisture. Another problem solved. :thumbsup:

The following is just a thought for your consideration. If you make the trailer 5 feet wide (w/o changing wheels track width) and position the sleeping area so that you have 5 feet wide flat floor in the area where shoulders and arms are, you probably will have very close comfort to queen bed, since legs require less width.. That way you can let wheel wells to protrude inside the matress area where your legs are going to be. it is only 6" protrusion on each side. I know it makes the build a little bit more complicated, but by not much and keeps the trailer height lower.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 pm

OP827 wrote:
ghcoe wrote:

The following is just a thought for your consideration. If you make the trailer 5 feet wide (w/o changing wheels track width) and position the sleeping area so that you have 5 feet wide flat floor in the area where shoulders and arms are, you probably will have very close comfort to queen bed, since legs require less width.. That way you can let wheel wells to protrude inside the matress area where your legs are going to be. it is only 6" protrusion on each side. I know it makes the build a little bit more complicated, but by not much and keeps the trailer height lower.

I have debated that, but simplicity won out in the long run :thinking: . I am trying to keep it simple so it can be built quickly. Might have to build a few more if all works out as planed. :twisted:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:24 am

Do you have a plan for your spare mount in the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies