Sticky request: What's a foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sticky request: What's a foamie

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:16 am

:applause:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 pm

GPW wrote:How my words ^ could be take as uncongenial in any way is an amazement ... And how they can be turned and twisted is only a representation of our new internet society ,now empowering each individual to strongly give Their Opinion , whether they know anything about the subject or not ... :roll:

I’d say we had enough of Naysayers in the past , all proved wrong , so we’re just going to roll on past this wreck without concern ... :beer:

Have you ever tried reading what you wrote as if you were the other person?
Come-on, I asked a legit question and I get, "Foamies work."

I've never seen one, I've never heard of someone who had one where I could ask questions about it in person.
I thought I'd ask folks here who have built or owned one there Pro's and Con's.
BUT HEY, if I'm wrong in asking, say so.
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39373

Not really sure we need a sticky for What's a foamie? This link is our big thread and it should tell all what it is and exactly how it came to be.
My foamie will be 6 years old come March. The last few years it has been sitting out in the blizzards and extreme heat (the first few I tarped it). It is still holding up fine. Could use some maintenance, new paint or to fix the "bubble" but other than that its still a great little foamie tear drop.
Mine also has limited amounts of wood in it, more than I wanted but being a first the guys did not really know what they were building. Could you add more wood, most certaintly, could you take away some of the wood, I do believe so. But mine is what it is and I do in fact love it.

I think all anyone has to do is read these threads and builds from others on what a foamie is and what trials/tribulations they have.

If you read the threads, you will find somewhere about my first outing. It was our maiden voyage. There was torrential downpours for the whole weekend. At the seam where I did not finish it, there was 1 drop of water that came in. This area was finished off and there has not been another leak. My hatch is water proof.

We welcome all here to become a believer in the foamie world. My best advise is to read and read and read. Have fun and enjoy the boards. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:13 pm

I skim read the first couple pages, yes that's sort of what I was looking for.
I was hoping for a little more direct info instead of reading (seemingly hundreds of pages) to get to the meat of the matter.

SURE I can read folks side input, but in all forums I am in (dozens) the thread takes sidesteps A LOT and goes on and on page after page, blah after yada. I also know reading folks side input gets me to sorta know there personality(s), good or bad, smart or not so, caring or.. other.

Off and on I've been here lurking and reading and testing and... OK-ok, since 2010 before I decide which direction and materials to build my (hopefully only) fully contained RV type trailer to haul behind my bike for 2 people and a pooch. I also want this to last years and years with the least amount of upkeep. Lots of checks and balances going on.

The Foamie seems what I'm looking for but as you may or may not know know my vehicle will be unlike all yours here. THAT IS why I asked my question 'trials and tribulations', I didn't want to say my bike because I have always got bad and negative feedback. "You're going to kill your loved one" is the most common phrase. (eyes rolling 3 FT high!!!)
"I KNOW MY" limits as does my loved one knows my limits because she has been with me for 'high 5 digit thousands' of safe miles. I also know the limits of safe weight and size hauling behind my bike. How's 3/4 ton gross trailer wt. grab ya?
Someday I'll tell my (hair raising) stories but for now I just want legit answers before I make unwanted possible mistake(s).
Hope that's not to much to ask.
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:30 pm

If you are saying you have a motorcycle and want a foamie to pull behind, I see no reason this can't be done.
Feel free to ask specific questions and you will probably get a specific answer. But a question like what is a foamie, to me that is just too vague and has been answered in these 10 plus pages in this sub-forum. I am not trying to be rude or blow you off. Reading these threads is where you will find your answers (hopefully).

I don't visit the boards every day like I used to (headed off in another direction) but I am still around. I am not a technical person, never have been, and never made a secret out of that. Technical questions I leave to those that can and will answer. But in general to answer what a foamie is: It is a camper that is made out of foam. It really is just that simple. Some here are using wood and foam, making them a hybrid. Foamies do work and work well. Mine is a very simple build and design. But it works for me. Not sure mine would be a good fit behind a bike, but certaintly one could be made to do so.

The only true negative I have and can remember reading about is the one that was just too tall for the width (I believe turned out to be the reason) that it tipped over. But from what I can remember there was not too much damage to it? Perhaps others could speak on that one before I give out false info.

Are there specific questions that you are looking for answers to?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I sorta knew what a Foamie meant before reading, just needed verification. I now know it's a mix of mostly foam, some wood and "X". Considering what I got in this thread it appears I should have started a new one.
One other person in Europe is building a 100% Foamie/F-Glass but I think his aspiration may turn into desperation. He might find what he's attempting isn't going to work well, but of coarse I wish him all the luck it does. Currently his and my trailer are the same size, he's looking to fold out to near double size. I understand about F-Glass, the amount of material he needs for the size he wants is going to grow weight exponentially. One of his test ride videos he has his wife with. After doing a brisk side wind test (guessing 20-ish MPH), he NEEDED a cigarette before doing anything else.
ANYWAYS:
I know about "Height + Width x Wind = DISASTER" and my design has that figured in, it's less than 10% worrisome.

Specific questions, I may have some but for now, I now know it's going to be multi-laminate Canvas which I didn't expect previous to this week. Which canvas material, not sure yet. Strength vs Weight unknown thing.

My only wish, Balsa wood was cheap. Back in the mid-1970's I sent a request to Weyerhaeuser to make Balsa cored Birch plywood. They replied it was very cost ineffective. So know you know how long I've been contemplating an ultralight travel trailer.
As for this RV trailer, my retirement is my push button for GO. If it works, I may build to sell but first, test-test-test.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Most bike pulled tears are smaller and pulled by gold wing type (large) bikes. A foamie is the best answer for weight, size will be a limiting factor, one that depends on you.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:37 pm

As far as what's a foamie? the simple answer is, a trailer built on a metal trailer frame, with a floor usually made of wood, though some make floors of foam reinforced. The walls are primarily foam, usually thicker for more strength, though some make them thinner. Minimal wood is used to resist rot, most only have it in high stress areas like hinge attach points, and latch attachments. The roof is almost always foam, some use spars of wood to help support the roof and any loads on it, and some find other methods. All joints will be glued, as foam does not retain fasteners with any reliability.
The whole trailer will then be skinned to hold everything together. Most of us use plain old cotton canvas, glued on with titebond II and then filled with exterior house paint (PMF) which makes a very tough permanent skin, that is also easy to repair. Though many also use fiberglass and epoxy as a skin, for various reasons.
Theory- The foam is resistant to crushing, the foam walls support any loads on the roof and air loads when towing. The fabric ties the roof to the walls, and the walls to the floor, much like a cargo strap looped over and under the whole structure and floor would do. Glued together the skin gives extra resistance to gouging and punctures, while the foam keeps the fabric from ripping, flapping, and blowing in as it would in a tent.
Beyond that there are many different ideas about how to do it, each of us has our own way, and the foamie idea is still new enough that people are still coming up with new ways, materials and designs.
There is no "this is the way" other than use as much foam as possible to reduce weight, and avoid rot.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 pm

My testing shows that glued canvas weighs about the same as two plies of 6oz FG and epoxy. Not sure where you are getting the impression that FG is heavy. Build like an airplane, not a boat.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 pm

George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fm-usa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Build like an airplane... that's my plan.
ghcoe wrote:Motorcycle you say.....
http://www.goldbrand.info/motorcykelhusvagn2.html
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=50313

YUP, you got it... well his anyways. That link is his Prototype #2 which is still rather heavy.
His fair sized box, prototype #3 and the way he mentioned, will need more reinforcements and that means weight, No one will know what he's got till it's done, so conjecturing means little.

I'm not making mine as large in collapsed mode so it can/will be reasonably thin skinned.
In the planning stage I started out with 7mm plywood but 20 Lbs a sheet times 8 sheets plus reinforcements, added up to too much.
So here I am now looking into Foamies.
OK, off to more research.
THANKS.

fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 pm

fm-usa wrote:In the planning stage I started out with 7mm plywood but 20 Lbs a sheet times 8 sheets plus reinforcements.

2" foam is 10 Lbs a sheet. Already half the weight. I am experimenting with flashing and beading for hard points on my build, which is lighter than wood. If interested check out the link in my signature.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fm-usa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 am

ghcoe wrote:
fm-usa wrote:In the planning stage I started out with 7mm plywood but 20 Lbs a sheet times 8 sheets plus reinforcements.

2" foam is 10 Lbs a sheet. Already half the weight. I am experimenting with flashing and beading for hard points on my build, which is lighter than wood. If interested check out the link in my signature.

I skimmed through your build, wow, it's taking some time. I planned on 3 to 6 months for mine but then I'll be working on it every day not just weekends.

ALL-Righty Then.
I'm done in this thread.
Again, thanks all.
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 am

Happy now Floyd ??? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:55 am

KCStudly wrote:My testing shows that glued canvas weighs about the same as two plies of 6oz FG and epoxy. Not sure where you are getting the impression that FG is heavy. Build like an airplane, not a boat.

The amount of paint in the canvas is heavy, my foam boats have bedsheets for skins to save weight. One coat of paint vs many. Others have found dried paint is half the wet weight, roughly.
I find bed sheet skins can be punctured easily, no big deal for a boat made of a waterproof material, but a looks and UV concern on a tear.
Fiberglass is not self healing with heat like PMF and TBII.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies