Yiayias Waggon

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Yiayias Waggon

Postby springdew » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:01 am

Hey I finally feel ready to start my build journal! I already have a blog where I dump all my ideas and stuff at http://casadeprimavera.blogspot.com and I am updating my event in Vardos - The Original Tiny House on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1637135899861666/ but this is the place where the trailer brains are, so here we go.

Yesterday I bought a window! This past weekend I bought a door! Some months ago I got a wash tub for my sink. I am repurposing a dorm fridge I already had and borrowing a cartridge toilet, a propane heater, and a propane tank from my handsome groom.

So... That's everything I have so far. Here's a picture of my door. http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cnf60 ... _2729a.jpg

Right now is the design phase. I want to have all my windows, though, before the design goes too far so that no revisions are needed. I order new materials in winter and build in the spring.
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Yiayias Waggon

Postby Vedette » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:17 am

It is "BIG" :shock:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby springdew » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:30 am

Yup, for a trailer it truly is. For a house it's not very. My waggon fits in the Tiny House category.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:53 am

Windows!
uploadfromtaptalk1445147655920.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445147655920.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 3381 times

uploadfromtaptalk1445147628816.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445147628816.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 3381 times

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Are they all double pane?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby springdew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:33 am

rebapuck wrote:Are they all double pane?

They are! Quite the grab bag, aren't they? Three wood, two vinyl, and one aluminum. Those brackets on the bottoms of two of them are from being mounted in a display. I've since removed them.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:45 pm

One color will unify them.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby springdew » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Here are the SIPs layouts. I've just gotten the quotes and am comparing them now. Some manufacturers include stuff like mastic and tape, some don't, and some supply various amounts of whatever. Getting more information, but it looks like ballpark of $7,500 not counting any sales tax for this 8x16 foot job.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:17 pm

I just noticed that I didn't put the newest windows here. I'm selling the aluminum window and I found two more vinyl ones that are 2 feet tall and 4 feet wide.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 pm

So I made a deal with Artisan Tiny House to supply my SIPs kit. This thing is about as all-inclusive as you can get without going to a builder.
  • SIPs for walls, roof, and floor
  • All connecting splines
  • All fasteners
  • All sealing materials, to include house wrap
  • All joining lumber including bucks for windows and door
  • 16-foot tiny home trailer built specifically for the purpose
The entire kit will be packaged together in Dixon, CA, where I go to collect it. Looking to do that late April or early May. They already do several tiny home kits, but I think I'm only their second vardo kit, and probably the first SIPs-all-around vardo kit they are doing. (Lina Menard's Lucky Penny doesn't have a SIPs roof or floor.) I like being part of development for something that can benefit the tiny house and vardo communities.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:12 pm

There are a hundred things currently on my mind about this build. A few:

Right now, Artisan are working with the factory to finalize the SIPs plans, after which I will cut the check and manufacture begins. Or at least gets scheduled, since I don't want to pick up until April.

Have been watching instructional videos about installing various types of roofing. Have not compared costs, but frankly that's not really the big factor. My concern with a SIP roof is that any damage is going to be far more difficult to repair than in a framed roof. So it is absolutely vital that whatever roofing I use be easy for me to get right the first time. Maximum protection. Especially as applied by an amateur. I see so many professional roofing jobs that wind up leaking, and I want as little risk of that as possible. More and more it's looking like a rubber or silicone coating system is best for this. I have not yet checked out alternatives to GacoRoof, but this is the direction I am leaning. Working out quantities that would be required.

Learning about siding. I would prefer six inch cedar shiplap but it may not be available at that time. It is not available now but has been before. Six inch cedar tongue and groove is an acceptable substitute. I want to buy closer to build date so I don't have to store it long and risk damage. Also want to be able to return any defective bits.

Attaching siding to a mobile project is different than for houses and sheds. Screws instead of nails. Have to plan pre-drilling and screw length.

Working out how to attach half ribs, belly rail, and bottom rail. Since the rails are edge on, just screwing through is not likely to work. Dowels? Brackets? What?

Would love to use spindles in place of ribs. My nephew says he has a bunch somewhere - that would be cool if so. I also know where to get a bunch on discount.

Working out quantities of paint required for siding and trim. I plan on pre-painting the lengths of siding before installation. Same for trim.

Have decided on a decoupage floor. Need to work out quantities of Mod Podge and polyurethane required. Need to also draw out the design. I have some cool ideas.

Have decided on bead board wallpaper for ceiling. Probably will use pre-pasted. Need to decide what moisture seal paint to use and determine quantity.

Have not decided interior wall treatment yet.

Current plan is to hold off installing electric, plumbing, and gas. The SIPs come with chases that make electric (and maybe gas? Too dangerous?) installation easy. I can rough in drains and maybe water supply line opening. But I'd like to be in a suitable state to bring the waggon to Tiny House Jamboree in August, so these things can be postponed to spend more time on interior surfaces.

Idea for awning-style shutters has evolved. I originally wanted shutters that mimic pallets. Now, I'd like to ask my cousin Missy to paint the flat wood with images of various chickens, and then I attach trim and spindles to give the effect of cages that the chickens are in. I think that would be more fun.

Awning-style shutters for all the windows. An extended shutter for the door, along with a flip-down porch. Working on drawings for these now.

Uhm, maybe that's it for now.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Things are getting exciting now!

At the end of April I go down to California to pick up the trailer, SIPs kit, and all connecting lumber. I already received a lot of fasteners and accessories by mail.

May 7 is assembly day. Friends and I will converge on the location and fasten the whole kit together. If it goes up as fast as I think it will, we might be able to get a window or two installed as well.

Then it's all about roofing, siding, interior, etc.

This month, I am educating myself and stockpiling materials. On April 15 I hope to secure a large storage unit with power to be the build area. If that works out, I'll move all my materials there and get started sanding and back-priming the siding.

Decided to go ahead with electric, due to difficulties doing it after paneling has gone up. Water and gas can still wait. So of course I am pillaging the Electrical Secrets thread.

Since we love pictures, attached is one of my current storage unit full of stuff. What you can't see behind the siding are cans of paint, primer, roof coat, polyurethane, etc.
Attachments
12670481_10156626694105461_2814669378803327198_n.jpg
12670481_10156626694105461_2814669378803327198_n.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 2762 times

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:19 pm

Here's one of my paint colors - main, trim, and accent.
Attachments
12038363_10156592213170461_7490763664979895555_n (1).jpg
12038363_10156592213170461_7490763664979895555_n (1).jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TheOtherSean » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Interesting design. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build as it goes forward.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:58 am

TheOtherSean wrote:Interesting design. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build as it goes forward.

I am too! I love the vardo design and have been fascinated with SIP construction for some time. It will be interesting to see the two "married" in a build. Please take lots of pictures!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals