Would this work?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Would this work?

Postby cootvon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Just found this great forum a few weeks ago! thanks to ryan, I had the northern tool 5x8 sketchup file to play around with. I really like the shape of the shasta compacts and tried to come close. This was some quick doodling I did. Any glaringly obvious problems with diving deeper into this design? I like the idea of the widgets/puffins etc and think i'd like the same layout. counter space, small bathroom, closet with a/c. foldout dinette etc

thanks,

Jeff
Attachments
ideas.skp
(1005.11 KiB) Downloaded 671 times
cootvon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Would this work?

Postby fm-usa » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Many of us don't have a program to open that.
Any pix?
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:41 pm

This is a SketchUp drawing. The free downloadable version works.

BTW for those without the software, the design has the outer skin with some detail eg door, windows; the trailer in high detail eg wheels, C-channel cross members, tongue detail. The inside has little detail, so hard to determine things like fridge placement, etc.

I think you need a little more on the inside detail to see how things will actually fit. Like the fridge, what are anticipated dimensions? In my planing, I have a range of possible and have created a space for the expected unit. The same thing for the foot well given the current placement of the trailer rails/cross units/tongue supports.

Most people do not design all the details like how exactly will the sides attach to the bottom; details on the hatch and edge water barriers (if you had a hatch ), door installation eg hinges, trim, window; how the inner, outer roof will be joined to the walls and spars; what to do when working with materials that have to be spliced together to get the correct size. One really needs to work on this at some point.

Other things to include : cabinets (currently none?), what electrical system you will have and where will it be contained, water system (?), propane, solar. Many people leave wiring pathways to a more ad hoc solution -- although planning is always good.

Generally the more planning, the more likely you are going to do/remember to do everything in the "best" order.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:52 pm

cootvon wrote:Just found this great forum a few weeks ago! thanks to ryan, I had the northern tool 5x8 sketchup file to play around with. I really like the shape of the shasta compacts and tried to come close. This was some quick doodling I did. Any glaringly obvious problems with diving deeper into this design? I like the idea of the widgets/puffins etc and think i'd like the same layout. counter space, small bathroom, closet with a/c. foldout dinette etc

thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff
I have just downloaded the newest version of SketchUp. When I was in graduate school back in the 11-12 I had to use it for Urban and Regional Planning Masters program. In just a few short years it seems that the interface has gotten better. I am liking your design a lot. I am a single guy who may have a friend travel with me on occasion. I do a lot of traveling in the summertime. 3-5K miles over a month. For me that is a lot. I know folks that cross country travel, they put on a great deal more.

Anyway the fee version of SketchUp will allow its users to download models all ready done. I have been playing around with them, and because I am a born again, I don't know if I can create from the ground up? Is the free version ok if I want to use it all the way through the design or do I need to pony up the cash?
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby pohukai » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Here's his design.

cootvon.png
Here's a screen shot of his design to comment on.
cootvon.png (36.96 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby adjangs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:18 pm

I like the idea of a shasta compact shape on this trailer if the weight can be kept down. There is around 220 sq ft surface area in the walls. Maybe 4mm plywood with .75"x.5" studs every 18", poor man's fiberglass over that?

I liked the idea so much I sketched up what I would do inside there; queen sideways and two bunks forward, top one swings out of the way for sitting. This version is 7 ft wide, 12.5 ft length overall, 6.5' tall (almost the same as the original compact but a foot shorter.) I put in a drop floor between the tongue pieces, there was 4'3" width there. That gives 5.5' headroom on the drop floor. The galley would have to be kept very light given the axle placement, but the placement looks about right compared to the original Shasta compact. I lowered the whole profile onto the trailer a ways to cover the trailer frame.
adjangs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Adirondackersouth » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 am

pohukai wrote:Here's his design.

cootvon.png

Jeff -
I like the way you built your Dawg Haus" and I can see why you called it that from snooping on your Picassa account link. How long did it take to make your camper? I like the design and the size of the door, and the galley touches.

Cheers :beer:
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Return to Sketch up designs