NOMAD 6'x12' Adventure Trailer **FOR SALE**

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

NOMAD 6'x12' Adventure Trailer **FOR SALE**

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am

[size=150]The NOMAD Adventure Trailer is listed for sale here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=70338
[/size]

This thread will document my process of taking the NOMAD Adventure Trailer from concept to reality!

Image Image

Project NOMAD has begun! As I promised myself I would - I finally pulled the trigger on the NOMAD build the first of this year. This project is already about 4 years overdue (I brainstormed and first designed it back in 2011). I am really hoping to knock this build out in 6 months and take a maiden voyage fly-fishing trip with my dad in June. A quick word about my dad and I... we don't really have any solid construction background but we aren't afraid to jump in and try things. With resources like this forum, Youtube and others available online, we have completed some pretty exciting projects. Here is a pic of us along with an "off grid" cottage with built a few years back. Don't be afraid to jump in and try things!

At any rate, now we're off. I have spent a ton of time deciding on my profile. I knew that I wanted to deviate from some of the more conventional "teardrop" styles and have something unique and more my own. I also wanted my design to be on the larger side with room for all of the ammenities I had in mind. My final plans have a footprint of 72"x128" (roughly 6'x10'8"). I went with a longer trailer so that I could have a very open and relatively large interior. I don't want alot of cabinetry/built-ins hanging over my feet. I want open space to stow gear for my trips. I want a very complete galley in the rear (AC/DC refrigerator, LP stove, sink, etc.). Here is the final profile of the NOMAD (what do you think?):

I want my build to match my hobby interests. I like to get out and hike, fly fish, kayak, run my dogs and just enjoy the outdoors. My trailer won't be doing much actual "off-roading" but I wanted it to look capable. I wanted it built strong and with an aggressive look. After much consideration - I don't think I will haul any gear (kayaks) on top of my trailer so the roof can be build using standard teardrop construction methods and doesn't need extra reinforcements.

I got ahold of some large sheets of cardboard and cutout a scale template of my profile. It is long and low - I've definitely deviated from the typical teardrop styles but I like how it looks. I have already sat next to, stared at and done my best to envision this in 3D. I am happy with the size and think that interior dimensions and galley will be a really good size to fit my needs.

A side note... as I mentioned I originally came up with the idea for the NOMAD in 2011. I also worked on its graphics right out of the gate. I created the NOMAD "logo" in Photoshop and the graphics I planned to display on the finished trailer. As much as I hated to scrap my work, in 2012 - with the rise of ISIS :thumbdown: - my wife convinced me that I may not want to be rolling down the road with these designs on the side... Of course she was right so I got rid of the original graphic. Here are two of my original designs:

So ultimately I got rid of my custom graphic and added one of my favorite quotes from Tolkien "Not all those who wander are lost". Here is what I am leaning towards for my final design:

First step - I purchasing a used custom trailer built to haul a sandrail (small dune buggy). It is built with heavy duty axle/springs and is welded of 3"x3", 2"x2" and 1"x2" steel tubing. I had to remove quite a few components of the original trailer that got in the way of my design. Once I had it stripped down to what I could work with I dropped it off a local welding shop to add the 6" extensions to either side to give the recessed wheel/tire design that I wanted in my final design. They also added (16) 1/4" steel angle "tabs" that would serve as anchor points to bolt my trailer to the frame. I copied this idea from JSS06's "DogHouse" build.

The frame just made it back to my garage and is ready to be primed/painted but the single digit temps outside are delaying that process. I have the ability to warm my garage up by about 10-15° but need the temps to be in the mid 50's in the garage to let the primer/paint properly cure. Next weekend we are expecting highs in the upper 40's - I am ready to go as soon it warms up.

2/5/16

I finally got a break in the weather that allowed me to prime/paint the newly welded trailer on Saturday. 63° temps in late January around here is unheard of but really helped me out. Once the trailer paint had dried, my dad and I got to work on my floor. The most difficult part in building the floor was the shear size of the panel that we had to create to start with. I used a 4" lap joint to join 3 sheets of 1/2" ply which gave me a sheet that was 8'x12'. This had to be moved from floor to trailer a few times to mark, cut, etc. I was really surprised at how strong a lap joint is.

My floor is a sandwich of:
1/2" exterior (not marine) ply on the bottom
1"x4" board frame with 3/4" insulation
topped with 3/8" ply

I bolted the 1/2" bottom ply to the trailer frame with 12 welded in tabs of 1/4" stock and 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The underside of the floor has been coated with asphalt sealant and is now in place and done. My doors and windows arrived today - next step is to start on the walls!

2/8/16

Here is a pic of the luan template cut out and setting on top of the floor. The photo looks like the nose overhang of the trailer nearly extends to the tongue of the trailer - it doesn't. I have a 68" wide tow vehicle and the nose is 31" to the tongue + I have a 6" offset on my hitch. This puts the nose back 37" away from the tow vehicle. I still have clearance even at a 90° angle.

This weekend I got the floor triple coated with "the mix", the floor edge coated in epoxy, the street-side wall framed and glued to the exterior skin. Framing the wall took longer than I expected but I think the second wall will go quicker and smoother. I feel like I am making pretty good progress considering I am really only 1 week into construction. Temps dip back into the teens this week so I am not sure how much progress I will make. I hope to have the second wall and bulkhead wall finished by Sunday - from there I can take my build 3D!

I hope to have my construction completed on this by early April. I figure that is the most likely time that I will get the consistent temps outside to finish the exterior. I plan to cover the trailer in canvas/glue mix and then paint with exterior latex. I think this will make a for a VERY leak proof trailer.

2/10/16

Set one of the (not yet finished) wall panels up to get a feel for how it will look. Everything is going as planned so far. Temps are back in teens so progress will be slow for a few days. I have layed out my interior galley wall and have my rear galley pretty much designed. I will get pics of my plan up soon.

2/19/16

Had a day off and some decent late February weather yesterday so I got some more work done on the NOMAD. Curb side wall is now framed and glued to outer skin. I was able to cut the opening for the door out of the previously worked on street side wall. Up next, boxing in the fenders and building the galley wall.

2/20/16

I was able to get both fender/wheel wells boxed in today. Here is a test fit with the street side wall and fender in place. I was really a bit nervous about boxing these fenders in like this (recessed into the body of the trailer) - worried that it would REALLY complicate the build. So much so that I went through several profile designs that didn't have recessed wheels but always liked this design the best. Building the fenders/wheel wells was really not that big of a chore. Nice when things go better than expected... hopefully the galley hatch will be another pleasant surprise :roll:

2/21/16

Got a bit more work done today with the help of both my dad and my father-in-law. By the way, a special thanks to my father-in-law, this is his building and it is really allowing me to work at a good pace. With the large size of my trailer, each side wall, etc - I have space to move around, store pieces that I am not using to get them out of the way and spread out to work -thanks Jim! Walls are now insulated and ready for wiring chases to be cut. I still need to cut out the door opening on the curb side wall. Once I get wiring chases cut and wires run I will skin the interior wall back to the galley wall. Galley wall is also now built. I will have a pass through from the interior back to the cabin (early morning coffee without getting out of bed :thumbsup: ) so I need to frame that up and cut it out before skinning the inside of the galley wall. I plan to mount a pretty large flat screen TV in the center of that galley wall. Right now I am leaning towards having it mounted to a side hinged solid wood panel that will open out of the way to allow access to the galley behind. Aside from a heavy duty piano hinge and locking mechanism to keep it closed when traveling, etc - I think this will work out really good. Building it this way will also allow me to have a much larger access opening to the galley area, it can pretty much be the size of the TV that I mount. More to come on whether this plan/design will work or not.

I have also been thinking on how I am going to bend the 1/8" birch ply ceiling and two layers of 1/4" ply for the outer roof around the nose curve. My plan is to use my router and remove just a bit of material on the back side of the ply in the area that it will be asked to bend to increase it's flexibility. I experimented with a scrap piece and don't see why this won't work. It seems far simpler than kerf cutting the backside. Any thoughts?

2/25/16

I have settled on a galley design and wanted to share it. As I mentioned early on I want to have a full featured galley with as much built in as possible. I will be using a Camp Chef Explorer 2 for my stove (highly recommended as it offers griddle, grill box and other burner add on's). This stove is awesome - but it is big. Dimensions are about 32"wide x 16"deep x 10"tall with the legs removed and a base stove weight of 34lbs. I really wanted to try to incorporate this into my design in a "swing out" fashion where this large stove would rotate or swing out to a position 90degrees from the countertop. With the combined weight of the stove and the drawer/tray that it would be housed in - I ultimately decided against it. That much weight hanging out 36"+ out the back of my galley is just too much. I could have incorporated a support leg but decided to go with a much simpler pull out drawer design.

Other features of my galley will be
-Koolatron refrigerator/cooler that runs off both AC and DC power and cools to 54degrees below the ambient temp. This should work great for most of my camping (extremely high temps will require a cooler with ice)
-32" flat panel tv on a café / salon hinge. This hing mounts in the center of the tv support board and allows the tv to rotate 180degrees. This will make the tv viewable from both the galley and the sleeping area. I plan to mount a flat panel digital picture frame to the backside of the tv support board. So viewing this area from either side will offer something interesting to see. See below for a video demo of the swivel in action - a brilliant idea that I will be copying.
-two 3 gallon water jugs with dispensing nozzles
-my trailer frame was also welded up with two 10" frame extensions just behind the wheel/fender areas. I will have a small propane tank (11lbs) and a steel jerry can mounted to these extensions. We plan to travel with a small Honda generator - jerry can will hold gas for it.
-I will have access to my electrical area (which is a 14" cavity below the countertop and immediately behind the bulkhead wall) by pulling out the refrigerator.

There are still some things to work out but this is the layout I am going to go with. I hope to start framing this up this weekend.

Here is a demo of the tv swivel:

2/28/16

Interior walls have needed electrical wiring run are now skinned with birch ply, bulkhead wall is done and cutout for swiveling TV is complete. My interior design will have two 13"x13"x30" cabinets on either side of the TV with a horizontal shelf connecting them. Below the TV I will be installing a double DIN car CD/DVD/touch screen media center. I have a 1"x12" in the lower bulkhead wall (beneath the birch ply) that I will be able to flush mount this into. My front area will all be carpeted with the soft indoor/outdoor carpet. Fender boxes/wheel wells will be carpeted as well. I was able to sit in the trailer today and get a feeling for it's space. The front area is 7'long x 6'wide of clear, open space. My extended length allowed me to not use the typical cabinet overhanging your feet/legs design. Not sure what I will do with or what I need all of this space for - but I have it.

I want to leave my floorspace open to allow me to either:
- inflate our queen Aerobed when my wife or kids are with me
- inflate my twin Aerobed when it is just me and my awesome dog Jaeger

This week my refrigerator, stove and sink arrive so next weekend is dedicated to framing up the galley.

3/6/16

The galley walls have been skinned and glued with 1/4" ply and the 1/2" finish birch ply gusset is gut. I am ready to cut the galley side rib next Saturday.... :worship:

I also was able to get the galley area framed up. Nothing is affixed to the side walls at this point - only to the bulkhead wall and free standing on the floor. You can see the basic layout of my galley under the counter- Camp Chef stove in pull out drawer on the right, refrig in the center and cabinet under the sink on the left.

This weekend I also got the interior cabinets hung (attached to bulkhead wall only at this point). These will be connected with a shallow oak shelf below the TV area. I also began framing up the storage/shelving in the front area. As you can see here, the lower area will be simply boxed in - I will have two speakers installed here but nothing else. Above this, I will be making a deep shelf across the entire front with one cabinet on either side. All in all, everything is coming together really nice.

3/16/16

I have finished framing and skinning the half wall in the nose area of my trailer and constructed a few shelves out of leftover 3/4" birch. I plan to make a few of those bungy cord mesh cargo nets for each cubby in the front shelf - I don't want to mess with doors. The area underneath will just be insulated unused space. I will install two car 6"x9" speakers in this area and am debating on whether or not to even have an access panel to this space... A big benefit of not finishing this area is that it eliminated the need for me to figure out how to skin the ceiling ply all the way around that extreme radius in the nose area. Now I only have to bend around half of that radius with the ceiling ply. The outer ply will be easier to bend all the way around because I can kurf cut the inside of the radius. My plan is to take the ceiling 1/4" birch ply and use the router to remove about half of its thickness in the areas that it will bend the most. Once I have it then bent in place and installed, I will reinforce this thin area with a few layers of fiberglass. I haven't tested this yet but it seems to me that if I can take the 1/4" ply down past the core - it will flex more... thoughts?

I also got my galley side ribs/templates cut. The jigsaw that I used (commercial SKIL) has a tendency to let blade "wander" or flex a bit. This didn't happen at all on the my first cut on the street side wall (shown here) and the edge is a clean, 90degree angle.... the curb side is a different story. The blade flexed and created a proud cut on the top half and an undercut on the bottom half. I am going to need to spend some time repairing and squaring off this cut with the belt sander for the proud areas and some Bondo filler for the undercut areas. I can't for the life of me figure out why this saw has the tendency to do this... :thumbdown: You can also see here that the inner "gasket" of my galley wall still needs cut down to about 1/2" - it is extending a full 2" here.

3/21/16

This past weekend was a great weekend to get a lot of work done. I was able to complete the ceiling, remaining birch skin in galley area, final trim out of the TV pass-through and several other odds and ends. My biggest concern was how the ceiling was going to go up around the tight radius of the front (nose) area. What I ultimately decided to do was to remove about 1/2 of the material in the most extreme bend areas of the ply (ended up being two areas of about 5" wide that run the entire width of the ply) with my router then soaking those areas thoroughly and working the bend slow. I did this on Saturday and tacked the ceiling in place to allow it to dry following that contour. I then permanently installed it on Sunday with PL premium and 1.25" stainless staples. I am really happy with how it turned out. You can see where I reinforced the thinned out areas with strips of cotton canvas soaked in Titebond II glue (poor-man's fiberglass).

Electrical is up next. I plan to have one 120AC outlet in the front/nose area along with two 12v DC outlets + two of the four car speakers. I have 5 mini LED can lights for the ceiling, a Fantastic Fan, two porch lights, additional 120AC / 12v DC outlets and switches to wire in the body. Behind the galley wall I will power the TV, car CD/DVD/radio head unit along with a few other 120AC/12vDC outlets and lights on the inside and outside of the galley hatch.

3/28/16

Easter was this past weekend and filled with lots of fun, family time - but not tons of work on the NOMAD. I was able to get a few odds & ends checked off the list including:
-building the TV base and testing out the swivel feature. My plan is to have the TV only turn 180degrees one way - and then back that same direction only. I don't want it to be perpetually turned the same direction and eventually break the power cord off that is fed through the 1/2" pipe in the center which serves as a pivot point. Works great but I need to add a few "stops" to keep it from turning like a propeller!

-cut both of the radiused shelf ends for the galley area and began working on the pull out drawer that will hold the CampChef stove/griddle. None of the framework of the galley area is permanently installed/attached yet as I don't have my flooring down back there. I will be installing 18"x18" self stick vinyl tiles to the floor here soon.

-built a shallow connecting shelf of oak between the two cabinets. I will be installing outlets and USB chargers below this so it will give a nice place to charge your phone overnight.

4/1/16

I was able to get the oak cabinets and trim stained, interior can lights installed, the stargazer window cut out, the galley floor in and a handful of other odds and ends. This weekend I look to get the galley finished, electrical run and possibly poly the interior.

4/3/16

I spent most of yesterday and today working on the drawer that will hold our CampChef stove/griddle. I used heavy duty/100lbs drawer slides and built the frame of the drawer from 1"x6" poplar boards. Once the drawer was installed I "skinned" the rest of the galley framework and drawer face in 1/2" birch ply. The galley is pretty much done at this point. The large opening to the left of the stove is where our refrigerator will slide in - to the left of that will be a small door to access the electrical and offer more storage. I think that I am going to add two sliding doors under the stove drawer. I will use that area for the griddle, skillets, etc but I don't like how you just look into it right now. I am going to mount a 5# propane tank to the trailers rear right frame extension (seen on the third pic). I will need to add a propane hookup port to the wall inside of the stove area to hookup to on the outside.

I also got four of the six speaker cutouts in. Four will be in the cabin area and two will be on the underside of the galley hatch.

4/30/16

After 3 weeks of yard work and around the house projects I was finally able to get back to working on the NOMAD this afternoon. Today I got the Fantastic Fan cutout and ready to install...

...and got the roof finished. The extreme bend on the front/nose section of my trailer needed plenty of time and coaxing with a spray bottle and heat gun - it cooperated. I let the lower front sheet set about half installed and under strap tension overnight and finished the bend the next day. I still need to cut out the opening for the starlight window/Fantastic fan but overall I am really happy with it.

I also got my starlight window in. My ceiling/roof thickness is deeper than the included trim ring covers by about .75" so I am going to have to come up with a way to trim this out. I have a few ideas. Here is a pic without the lower/interior trim ring installed.

5/17/16

Lower galley, side opening doors are framed and skinned inside and out and ready to be installed. I should be canvas wrapping the NOMAD this weekend.

5/22/16

Began fabricating the roof rack/safari basket this weekend. Not finished yet but really looking good.

As you can see here it still needs to be cut to frame out the Fantastic Fan opening.

5/28/16

Both sidewalls have been skinned in canvas/Titebond III glue.

5/30/16

Canvas/glue went on perfectly. It is now fully dried and hardened with no bubbles, blisters, etc. The only thing I had to deal with was seams in the canvas along the roof because my build is 75" wide and you can't buy canvas that wide easily. You can see the two stitch seams about 18" in from either shoulder along the roof. Everything is fully saturated with TBIII and I don't see have I will have any issues - the seams actually don't look bad at all. I really couldn't be happier with how it turned out. This weekend we also got the safari basket fabricated, spekers installed and interior electical pretty well sorted out. We are going to add a guard around the Fantastic Fan to keep it protected. Next up this week we will fabricating the fenders/wheel wells and finishing the welding work. I hope to get it painted next weekend. More to come.. (porch lights are just setting on the roof to test light switches)

6/6/16

This weekend I was able to get the hatch framed and began working on the front storage box. This box won't have a hinged lid but rather a 10"x14" hinged/locking marine hatch. I only plan to store electrical cords, water hose, wheel chocks and some tools in there. I also made the floor of the storage box from 3/4" marine ply which will be framed with welded angle iron and a steel plate bottom. I figure this will take most of the beating of rocks bouncing up and it will serve to protect the underside of the curved "nose" of my trailer from damage.

6/23/16

The tongue has now been extended and reinforced. I have the underside of the galley hatch skinned in birch and the outside skinned in ply (shown just glued - not yet trimmed). My welder has also welded expanded steel in the areas that will hold the LP bottle and gas/water can. I also decided to add a sliding door to the large opening inside the "nose" area of the NOMAD.

And here is the hatch test fitted. No hinges are installed yet. I have some adjusting to do first... :thinking:

I got to take the NOMAD on its maiden voyage today. It trailered really well - I was nervous but pleasantly surprised. Got it up to about 60mph and no issues. I look to have it done here in about the next month or so. I have also decided to dump the paint scheme. I am going to be painting it a solid dark (likely charcoal grey) color - so the black windowos, doors, frame, rack, etc. don't stick out so much.

Tons of work since my last update! For the final stages of the build I have moved the NOMAD from my father-in-laws barn to my garage to be able to complete all of the little things as time became available. I have repainted it (never was crazy about the original two-tone) - it is now "emergency orange". The hatch is hinged, lower galley doors installed, fenders fabricated, and I am ready to put the final coat of paint on (which will be the SIXTH COAT of premium Sherwin Williams exterior latex). The maiden voyage is planned for 5/31/17 and I am on track to be ready.

You can see that I added an ARB awning on either side of the roof rack. These are great. They pull out 8' and will really come in handy.

Pardon all of the black overspray - my final coat of orange will cover all and make the transitions clean.

As you can see I killed the complicated, heavy tv swivel system that I originally had installed. It worked OK (not perfect, it rubbed and stuck and I was unsure about how it would do "on the road as it weighed about 30 lbs... ) but I was limited to the inner diameter of a 1/2" steel pipe that ran up the middle that I had to feed all of my video cables through. With my late addition of wanting to have a coaxial cable connected to the tv I decided to look for other options. I am REALLY happy with this new rotating pedestal TV mount. It wasn't cheap ($60) but it looks nice, works perfectly and allows plenty of room for the addition of other a/v cables if needed.

At this point we are just about ready for the MAIDEN VOYAGE!! :twisted:

MAIDEN VOYAGE!!

And finally with custom 3M decals added!

And finally... after a one year build - some well deserved REST!! :applause:

Last edited by Poorlytiedfly on Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Re: NOMAD Adventure Trailer

Postby Vedette » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Looks like you are off to a running start! :thumbsup:
Use the cold days to get other stuff done (like purchasing parts, drafting, planning, etc.) the things that have to be done sometime! ;)
Thanks for the pictures. :pictures:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby cecil » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Looks like a great project, keep the pic`s coming :thumbsup:
Cecil In NENC , USA
cecil
Teardrop Builder

Postby MidTNJasonF » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Poorlytiedfly wrote:Project NOMAD has begun!...

So ultimately I got rid of my custom graphic and added one of my favorite quotes from Tolkien "Not all those who wander are lost". I am leaving the original design as my TNTTT avatar for now - just wanted you all to know the back-story. Here is my final design:

Congratulations on getting your build started. Your favorite quote is also one of mine and will be incorporated in my build in some way as well. It was a favorite phrase or sentiment of mine long before I discovered it was from one of Tolkien's works. I ran across it in the early days of the internet when we still used modems and BBS boards before I read the original poem. Years later I had it incorporated into some art work that I will now take, quite literally, with me to the grave as it is in my skin.

I am also incorporating Kayak carrying capability into my camper build as well. I need a way to easily transport my WS Commander 140 fishing kayak when I head out to new lakes, rivers, and camping spots.

Good luck with your build, I will be following your progress.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks Jason.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Yea ill be watching with interest too!
Right up my alley this design
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:53 am

consolidated into initial post.
Last edited by Poorlytiedfly on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Breytie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 am

Love the profile - enough curves to still qualify as a teardrop. And I see a bit of the TV profile in there too.
Ward off the analysis paralysis and keep going!
Any internal layout pictures?
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Breytie wrote:Love the profile - enough curves to still qualify as a teardrop. And I see a bit of the TV profile in there too.

Thanks and you hit the nail right on the head with "analysis paralysis"! I am not sure what the "TV" profile is, what are you referring to?

I only have the internal layed out in my head a the moment. With the length I am building I plan to have plenty of space inside for amenities. I plan to have my separating bulkhead run vertically floor to ceiling at 7ft. from the front.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MidTNJasonF » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Poorlytiedfly wrote:
Breytie wrote:Love the profile - enough curves to still qualify as a teardrop. And I see a bit of the TV profile in there too.

Thanks and you hit the nail right on the head with "analysis paralysis"! I am not sure what the "TV" profile is, what are you referring to?

I only have the internal layed out in my head a the moment. With the length I am building I plan to have plenty of space inside for amenities. I plan to have my separating bulkhead run vertically floor to ceiling at 7ft. from the front.

TV = Tow Vehicle.

It does appear that your proposed camper profile does have similarities to your tow vehicle in your posted drawing. :thumbsup:
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:02 pm

I should've known that! Thanks.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Breytie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 am

Poorlytiedfly wrote:

That bulkhead is critical to the structural integrity of the whole build. Design the layout from there.
Try to "fix" the internal layout as much as possible before starting to build. And then build and finish the inside first. I have learned that lesson the hard way. With these things it is damned easy to paint yourself into a corner. Sometimes the next bit to be fitted cannot get to where it needs to go or cannot be fastened properly or simply does not "work", necessitating a great deal of rework in very cramped conditions. Sometimes the profile needs a slight tweak to allow the internal layout to work.
But most of all, keep going.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 am

consolidated into initial post.
Last edited by Poorlytiedfly on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:14 am

What's your target weight for the whole camper, including gear?

I'm guessing you're about halfway there. :roll: (reality check)

I will say that your work is nice and tidy, but if you keep building with such a heavy hand you will be disappointed in the end.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:28 pm

KCStudly wrote:What's your target weight for the whole camper, including gear?

I haven't been too terribly concerned with building an ultra light or even light trailer - just one that suits my needs. From the outset this would be bigger and heavier than most TD's. An overbuilt frame/axle, large size and a bunch of amenities don't add up to low weight. I think I will be under 2,000lbs but honestly as long as my TV can pull it - Ill be fine. (TV= VW Touareg 3.6L V8 @ 7716lbs tow capacity and 690lbs tongue limit). I know my mileage and "towability" will suffer with the extra lbs and size but I am coming from using a 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan lugging around a 31' double slide travel trailer @ 8000lbs dry.... This will tow like a dream in comparison.
Last edited by Poorlytiedfly on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals