Land of Mordor Mud Boggers Expedition May 19th - 22nd 2016

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Land of Mordor Mud Boggers Expedition May 19th - 22nd 2016

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 pm

This is the weekend before the IRG. People that plan on the expedition please let me know here.

Randy ( crazy old desert coot )

Absolutely definite maybe

CapnTelescope Brad
Wolfgang

Wishy Washy Peeps

Robfisher Rob
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Fri May 20, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: Land of Mordor Expedition May 19th - 22nd 2016

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm in!

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby robfisher » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Randy, Is there a way to do part of this Expedition or does the route not make that possible?
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 pm

After we jump off it would be near impossible to join the group as there is very spotty cell phone out there. And map direction may not be all that clear either. And itinerary may and probably will change. Could always leave early of course.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Welcome aboard Brad.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:35 pm

If some do not have a vehicle they would not want to take to the desert I will probably be able to take 2-3 passengers if you like tent camping. I have a 2 person tent. It has been about 10 years since I have used it. Will get it out this spring. and I have some ground pads. You could tough it out and roll up in a tarp. I have done that, in my younger days.

I may even have a 2nd 4X4 running good by then. So we would have all kinds of space.

I now have 2 privacy tents and one prota pot. Have not yet set up the tents or tested the prota pot ( slightly used ).

I have gas cans so nobody needs to bring any long unless they really want to. I also have chains and tow rope. I have one real shovel. A 2nd would be nice but that time of year fire danger is not very great.

I do like to Leave No Trace camp. Though out there I do not mind tossing wash water out and chucking apple cores and such out the window. Sheep like them. leaving paper, plastic, glass and metal is a no no to me. Also do not like to drive off the roads or what passes for roads. There are plenty of roads/tracks already and the desert does not need more.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:24 pm

+1 on the Leave No Trace. I do like to donate my coffee grounds to some deserving looking plant/shrub/tree. Same with the dish water. Everything else goes in the campfire or the trash bag.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:34 pm

There is a road out there that you are driving along and it just ends. Kind of like an Xfiles ends. I drove it twice and Yup it just ends. Went out there once with a friend driving his vehicle and I had him go down that road. I did not tell him about it and "WHERE DID THE ROAD GO?????" It just disappears. No turn around. It has been about 20 years since I been on it. Do not want to drive it to much as that just makes the track extend a bit more. It disappears a few hundred yards from a crossing road.

Really weird.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby robfisher » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:02 am

Wolffarmer wrote:There is a road out there that you are driving along and it just ends. Kind of like an Xfiles ends. I drove it twice and Yup it just ends. Went out there once with a friend driving his vehicle and I had him go down that road. I did not tell him about it and "WHERE DID THE ROAD GO?????" It just disappears. No turn around. It has been about 20 years since I been on it. Do not want to drive it to much as that just makes the track extend a bit more. It disappears a few hundred yards from a crossing road.

Really weird.

I'm pretty sure I know that road. I think it reappears in the Hagerman Valley area near the Thousand Springs. :o
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:22 am

robfisher wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:There is a road out there that you are driving along and it just ends. Kind of like an Xfiles ends. I drove it twice and Yup it just ends. Went out there once with a friend driving his vehicle and I had him go down that road. I did not tell him about it and "WHERE DID THE ROAD GO?????" It just disappears. No turn around. It has been about 20 years since I been on it. Do not want to drive it to much as that just makes the track extend a bit more. It disappears a few hundred yards from a crossing road.

Really weird.

I'm pretty sure I know that road. I think it reappears in the Hagerman Valley area near the Thousand Springs. :o

It could. Really strange. a well beaten track and it just ends. I swear I look out for UFOs out there. Opps. camp fire stories. :D
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Have decided where and when to jump off. I think that about the best place to meet up is Kimama Idaho. On May 19th. And plan to get headed out about noon. For the people coming from the south, Utah way, Kimama is about 15 miles north of the stop like in Paul Idaho. Drive north until you get to a stop sign. Cross the highway and rail road and head over towards the old big black water tower. Don't worry. Not much out there to get lost in that we can't see you. Paul will be the last place to get gas. There are two stations at the stop light. ( only one in Paul ) If you need more food or stuff like that there is a small grocery store about a block east of the stop light on the south side of the street. Name is Swenson's.

Those coming from the west, Boise area get of the Interstate at Bliss and head to Gooding-Shoshone. Stay on Idaho Highway 24 heading east. It makes a jog in Shoshone. Fuel up in Shoshone. There is a Grocery store on the south side of Shoshone. It is the Sawtooth. It is west from the Newish looking Shell station at the corner where ID 24 turns east again. When to get to mile marker 30 or so you will start seeing the big black water tower appear. It is about Mile marker 33-34, Any way, Cross the Rail Road to head over there.

Any body else have some of those FSR radios we can use to keep in touch while traveling?

First day itinerary is to head up the Kimama-Arco desert road and at the air port turn off towards Laidlaw Park. In Laidlaw park we will be in prime sheep grazing area and will probably see some sheep bands and sheep equipment. Go up to Snow Drift Crater and then to the Road going across the lava flow. And depending on what we find there think about spending the night there. Should be very interesting.

Oh, dogs are ok to bring but if we see some big white dogs that usually travel in pairs try to get your dog on a lease. Those white dogs are sheep guard dogs. They think they are sheep and their only job is to protect their heard. They do not herd the sheep. Boarder Collies are usually used for that.

Any questions, thoughts?
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:30 pm

The Kimama Area, Where I lived for many years

Kimama Lights

Wes in the story is Wes Stoler. And his son Lynn. Same age and me. We lived about 1/2 mile from them.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby robfisher » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Still making room in my schedule so I can go on this adventure. Barring unforeseen problems I'm sure I can get off work. Here's to a great year of camping.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Tell your boss to lighten up. ;)
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:25 pm

I found the spot on google maps. It's an old Union Pacific water tower, not one of them funny looking city water towers. I'll be coming in from afar, so will probably camp nearby the night before. See you all there.

I've got a pair of FRS radios that I'll bring. Pack extra AAA batteries. Also bringing a CB.

Rob, if the boss doesn't lighten up, try whining or :cry: .

Randy, are you going to Burn this year? It's ticket registration time, right now. I'm thinking about it.

This is going to be fun!

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Next

Return to North West