Camp Capsule Foamy

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Camp Capsule Foamy

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 pm

GPW wrote:...just about the only thing that’s yet to be fully utilized as part of the design itself, until now...

I beg to differ. The cabinetry in TPCE has been a planed part of the structure from day one. I have been preaching unit construction all along. Granted, ScottE tied his in a little differently, omitting the hybrid wall panels, but the basic idea of setting blocking into the foam goes way back. In fact, wasn't it something that you (GPW) suggested in the first place? :lol:

Must be terrible getting old my friend. :lol: (kidding... ;) :roll: )
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes , yes, of course ... on both counts ... might be time for me to go away and leave all this to others ... seems I’ve outlived my usefulness and have merely become a source of repetitive irritation to most ... :roll: I have my EVAC trailer so It’s all good ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Oh come on now. Don't be so hard on yourself. (That's my job. :lol: :lol: :lol: ) This place just wouldn't be the same w/o your creativity and crossover hobby interests, which are all a never ending source of inspiration.

And the forgetful "jab" was as much a poke at myself, too. I can't seem to recall what I've said to whom, or where one build thread begins and another ends.

Anyway, too much drifting OT. Sorry Scott.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 pm

It's all good, guys. Similar to KC I also been relying in my build on internal furniture panels being fixed to walls to improve structural strength of the trailer, overall. It comes from the sum of parts. I agree with ScottE and think that using a plunging router and also a template like KC did for the wood embedment would be probably the best way to create hard point on add hock or regular plan basis.

A thought: perhaps a typical size(s) template for a router with specific bid and dimensionally matching block of wood insert with matching router-rounded corners could do a nice job for all hard points required in a foamy trailer construction, making this task an easy no-brainer, creating as many hard points as you need anywhere at any time. A small and light palm router (even battery operated) probably would be the best for this purpose.

It's interesting how a design can change after the trailer walls are up and you come up with some better idea that you never thought before while just designing this on paper or PC. Good thing the foam can be re-filled with other foam and then rebuilt or reinforced in so many ways. Thank you for good discussion.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:20 am

Upon seeing ScottE’s statement about cabinets , it ignited a picture in my head of an interlocking “ egg crate” sorta' cabinet/wall/foam thingie ... perhaps to provide a rudimentary “arch" effect ... and allow for many useful “hard points”, with out more routing ... Lke we did on the FS where the framework /ribs provide many attachment points and holes to hang things .... Very Useful !!! :thumbsup: That’s what I was “seeing” , not just utility cabinets , but a Foam/cabinet System ... :thinking:

Starting to realize , there’s only so much you can say about a Foamie trailer ,( and we’ve certainly said most of it eh ? :R ) and when the new folks show up , we end up repeating ourselves , to the annoyance of some others , who take it as early dementia , or curmudgeonly .... All I can say is , yep ... maybe ??? :roll:

And now for something completely different .... back to ScottE and his most excellent Camp Capsule ... :thumbsup: 8) :beer: I’d like to see more pictures .... never enough pictures eh ??? :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby SamIAm » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Fantastic work on this build, it is giving me some inspiration.
SamIAm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary C » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:52 pm

??????????????They make a palm router?????????? Well I'll be. just never heard.......

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Mary C wrote:??????????????They make a palm router?????????? Well I'll be. just never heard.......

Mary C. :)

Maybe it is now off topic, but for info, they used to call them laminate trim routers, they just one hand lighter routers that are easier to control with one hand and actually easier to see the work piece under it. Some of the models are: Bosch PR20EVSK, Craftsman 11583, DeWalt D26670, Freud FT750T, Grizzly H7791, Makita 3707FC, MLCS Marvel 40, Porter-Cable 310 and 7310, Ridgid R2400, and Ryobi TR45K and P600 (List is from woodmagazine.com)
Last edited by OP827 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:30 pm

I have the compact Rigid and I like it a lot. It is very handy for doing those "out of position" cuts, such as trimming the edges of a galley wall or hatch edge.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:32 pm

That's exactly what I meant, KC.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:11 am

We used a cheapo Harbor freight trim router , to do all the kerfing on the FoamStream and it was a LOT of kerfing ... :o The little router did fine , was easy to handle , and survived to cut more foam ... Typical of all routers it still made a Big mess ... :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ScottE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 am

Since we'll be using a single burner butane stove, I needed a place to store the butane cylinders. I made this rack to fit in the wasted space under the sink, it holds 3 cylinders perfectly and they roll down as needed.
This setup works perfectly!
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ScottE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:18 am

I built lightweight racks to store firewood and a pop-up and mounted them on the frame under the overhang on both sides.
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ScottE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 am

Installed the counter top, faucet, edge banding, and door for the butane cabinet.
Getting close to completion, I only need to install flooring, toe and some edge molding, and curtains. Looking forward to a shakedown run!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:22 am

That’s really looking GOOD !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D :applause: :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies