Getting Supplies, Plans in hand,...Help?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Getting Supplies, Plans in hand,...Help?

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi again! Still trying to figure out mother nature before I start my build, but obtaining supplies is coming along nicely. Foam, adhesives, jacks for the trailer, canvas, flashing, and windows so far. Speaking of windows; I have acquired the crank out awning windows, and the dilemma I have at the moment is that the windows are much thinner than the 2" think foam they're going into. Any suggestions on how I can 'build' them out? Any pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!
Toby
Teardrop Builder

Re: Getting Supplies, Plans in hand,...Help?

Postby Don L. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 pm

So do the windows just screw on from the outside, kinda like a storm window does on a house? Is there any kind of a jamb and how far will it go in the opening? What will the inside wall be covered with?
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:16 pm

There is a 3/4" trim on the outside of the window that allows the windows to be attached via screws or rivets, to the opening in the door. There is no inside trim ring available. Think of how the vents are installed,... these windows will be done the same way except that there is no internal ring to attach. So, I have to "build it up" somehow according to the makers of these windows.
Toby
Teardrop Builder

Postby tac422 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 pm

You could glue a wood frame to the foam and then screw the windows into the wood.

tac422
500 Club

Postby Don L. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm

If the inside walls are canvas just turn the corner with the canvas and then go over it again like a jamb to smooth things out. You would have to make the cutout neatly so the canvas will follow.

As to what to screw the window flange to, I have an idea for mine that you might like. I was thinking of getting some of that acoustic ceiling tile metal grid stuff. It is shaped like a T. Once the cutout is made for the window, cut a groove in the jamb part with a soldering gun and glue the T into it, that will give something for the window mounting screw something to hold on to.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks Don. Another thought when I get to that portion of the build. I'm considering using 2x2 flashing too.
Toby
Teardrop Builder

Postby RRJR » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 am

During my build when i found myself needing to mount something to the foam where i had neglected to install wood blocking(it happened more than I'd like to admit) I used these drywall anchors.

I squirted some glue on the plastic part and screwed in into the foam flush with the surface. After it dried I attached whatever it was that I was working on using the metal screw. I even used this method after my build was completely covered with the burlap outer skin and the final coat of paint was put on. Worked like a charm. They come in several lengths and sizes of screws.

Kind of hard to see in this picture, but i used this method to attach the aluminum drip edge above the vent in the lower rear side of the trailer. The vents were added after the outer finish was completed.

RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies