Rockhopper - Solutions!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Rockhopper - Fiberglass

Postby nathan45 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for that rowerwet, I didn't even realise that cured epoxy would melt in heat.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just asked the question when I saw it.
nathan45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Gary & Trudy came up and we figured some stuff out...

The first thing we figured out was how to get rid of the high spots in the resin. We tried all the obvious stuff... sandpaper, scrappers, chisels... We finally settled on a small block plane. It got rid of all the high spots without gouging the sides. It's still gonna be a lot of work, but I can handle it.

The next problem we resolved was the air conditioner. If you recall, the ac was in the back wall. And there was a wall inbetween the ac and the bed. As a result, the sleeping area never got cold. Jon W came up with an excellent fix. Move the thermocouple. And it worked. But the back area got really cold, while the bed was almost comfortable. We could have tweaked stuff a bit, but we decided to move the ac to the front instead. So we cut a hole...

And put the ac in...

I know you can't see it, but there is a piece of plexiglass blocking off that hole. Well, if you look carefully you can see a screw on each side of the plexiglass! The cold air comes out the top, behind that deflector. You can see that better in the 3rd picture. So of course, the only way to control the ac is with the remote control.

The tongue is quite a bit heavier, but the ac seems to work much better. It doesn't get as cold in the back, but it's nice in the sleeping area...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Oh yea,

Gary showed off his pizza making skills,

Here it's almost done!

Perfect Pizza! Lets eat!

While I tried to show off my smoking skills...

Here I sliced it up, kinda like a pork steak...

And here's the bona fide pulled pork!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Rockhopper - Solutions!

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:07 am

Mike,
You have done that design largely before what improvements have you done with this one that needed to be changed from the last.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:23 am

This one came from Canada

Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:35 pm

I thought the Desert Moose had a lot fit in a small space, but this build takes the prize for including everything in a build including the kitchen sink. If I hadn't built a TD that fits my needs perfectly, I would really consider building something just like what you did. Is it actually bug proof? Those little no see-ems really spoil a lot of camping for me in the warmer weather, although, most of my camping in the TD is in really cold weather when I don't want to deal with the much larger family Travel Trailer. What a great build!!!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby ChrisB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:18 pm

I haven't had to time to read this whole thread...yet. But I do like the build. Did it ever get completely finished? Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Chris
ChrisB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey Chris,

Nope, it's not done yet. It's in the canvas carport for the winter. Next year I have to take off the back end, and reinstall a new back end with new door that I am going to cut on the cnc machine.

It's going to be nice when it's done, but it's definitely turned into a multi-year project. But then, we are on teardrop time, right?

Mike...

ChrisB wrote:I haven't had to time to read this whole thread...yet. But I do like the build. Did it ever get completely finished? Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Chris
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MuddyWolf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Stardate 2217. Subject: History of transportation Volume 7 page: 296
Further developments on the Rockhopper would eventually result in...

MuddyWolf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alohae » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:45 am

I lived in my my trailer last January, living in a friend's driveway til July. It's an 83 Resort 17 footer, and it was doable in an Idaho winter with the heater, and I removed the side window by the table and placed a small AC unit that made it livable in the heat of summer. I was wondering how your AC could have so much trouble cooling your Rockhopper, as this tiny AC unit cooled my 17 foot trailer easily and comfortably. I suspect it's the insulation, or lack of it in the Rockhopper that makes the difference.

I found the Winter Warrior years ago, and enjoyed some nice teardrop dreams. I ended up getting my trailer for $500, the best $500 I ever spent. I'm glad to see it's still around, and has evolved into the Escape Hatch, and the Rockhopper. What a great design.

My next build will probably be a cabover camper, to fit in my 5 foot bed Nissan Frontier. Working out the design, in my head so far, and haven't decided on a 5 foot design or a 7 foot one. I briefly considered a pop up back, like the WW, but still like the cabover design.

Did you ever finish the Rockhopper? Loved reading about the build...
Alohae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Billy C. » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am

Mike I love this design. It's what I want to build but kind of off roadish. Was there any plans drawn or could I get dimensions. And do you mind someone else building it. Did you finish it and did you like it when you were done. Thanks Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Rockhopper - Solutions!

Postby Ned B » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm

I too love this design, maybe on my second drop... the first will be simpler.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 am

The Rockhopper was almost done. Rayvillan has it now. It was too heavy for me to tow.

As for the cooling, the ac was right in front of the bathroom wall. The cold air bounced off the wall and right back into the AC. The AC thought it was cool and cycled. One solution was to put the thermocouple in the bed area so the ac would not cycle so fast.

Ultimately we put the ac in the front, making the tongue really heavy. :? But it worked!

Sure you can build one if you like. I'll have to look around and see if I can find the CAD drawing.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Billy C. » Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks Mike I really think I am going to build it. I have everything to build the frame axle springs and steel. Just need the length and width to start on the frame. You said that it got to heavy for you. How heavy did it get. And do you think the design will hold up to mild off road? Fire roads and the beach for the most part. And I think I'm going to use epoxy and glass with vacuum bagging for the wood. Having built many boats with this method I know how strong and light it can be. And I want to paint the outside with automotive paint to match my jeep. Thanks again Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

Billy,

Page 2 shows the trailer. It's a 5 x 10 with the axle moved rearward.

Some of the drawings of the side pieces are on page 1. I'll look this weekend and see if I can find the turbocad file.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals