Hatch shelter solutions

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Hatch shelter solutions

Postby kookenotes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Has anyone on here had any experience with the Kelty Tailgater? It looks like it would be an excellent fit over the hatch to provide a nice sheltered cooking area in rainy conditions. It also looks like it could work as a side tent if attached to a roof rack. It's on my Christmas wish list so I will give an update on its effectiveness if I receive one. I would welcome any positive or negative input. I hope everyone on the forum has a wonderful and safe Holiday season.
Bill
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hatch shelter solutions

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:57 pm

I do not know about the Kelty . I did camp once where one of the teardrops had something like that around their galley and it made a nice area and was very usable to get out of the wind a bit and to keep warmer. It was a cold camping weekend but we had a good time. It went around the back of the trailer and the hatch was able to open pretty good.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby felixx » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 pm

This thing?

If so it looks AWESOME!!!

edit:
(I need to build my teardrop first)
felixx
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 pm

My sis has one for there 4-wide.

Here's what the bro-in-law said about it:
"It’s a fast put up and pretty intuitive. Maybe 5 minutes? I can only guess because we only did it once and that was the first time. Not much to it. The picts don’t show for some reason the tie off at the back of the fenders on each side. I was thinking of just attaching a couple of hooks on the end of the tent ties there so I wouldn’t need to tie around the fender arm.

It’s not a lot of space underneath. Less than it looks but enough to get a couple of chairs under."

I'm toying with one for my 5-wide. I think there's enough room. It'd sure be good for that drizzly dinner. I'm going to hold off and wait for a spring rendezvous trip with them before I pull the trigger.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 pm

The one I saw was like a tent. With one side able to open up to take the back end of a van/teardrop.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby kookenotes » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the input folks. The one I'm looking at is the same one pictured by Felixx and Tony. I will be putting it on my 5 wide and it looks like it will work as I look at the fit on that 4 wide. My biggest concern was whether it was tall enough to fit with the open hatch, and it looks like that will be fine. Randy, I have one of the Napier 82000 series SUV tents and I like it a lot. I'm hoping the Tailgater will be quicker and easier to throw up and will still have the open feeling. I will do a review of it for sure. If the elves don't bring my one, I may have to gift one to myself.
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Java Jack » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 am

We have 2 different canopy solutions.

For fair weather camping, we use the Quickshade Summit 170. It's a 12x12 with extensions that can be folded down on 2 sides for 1/2 walls or extended out for extra shade.

For wet/rainy camping, we have the Northern Breeze Screen Tent. It is also a 12x12 tent with extensions that can be put down for full walls or extended for extra shade.

We only bought our trailer back in Oct. so have not really done any wet weather camping and therefore not yet used it...there are several others with the CampInn trailers that swear by this shelter. However, it is pricey at $400.00 for a new one. Ours came with the trailer so we did not need to buy one but it is light and fairly easy to set up. The quick shade is easier but it is also way heavier.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:14 pm

I use a 12' X 16' tarp and a couple of REI Tarp Poles.

Click on the picture to see larger.

The tarp is held to the teardrop hatch cover with spring clamps and is guyed and staked out all around.

I spent about 11 days and/or nights under this in June 2013 on a trip up the Oregon and Washington coast. Spacious, dry, and inexpensive.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:26 am

When I had my tear I used a pop-up over the hatch area. however Kelty had a similar product which I used as a privacy tent over my door. It was not perfect for some things but allowed me to get up and dressed without the world watching.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Tucguy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 am

While not the least expensive solution for a hatch shelter, I love the comfort that the SUV tent adds and it extends our camping into true three season ability. We also own the side tent for the little guy by PaHa Que. Depending on the trip we decide what to take along for the particular conditions. I do not cook in our galley but do make hot drinks there with the stove. Keep greasy cooking etc outside the tear galley. Keeps it clean and keeps the critters away at night also. We can heat the SUV tent with our Coleman Cat's Eye heater. It has a vent at the bottom and top on the same side. I would not use the heater except to sit in there before sleeping in the tear. The only draw back is that on days when it is cold and you want to be in the tent rather than outside, the windows need to be zipped closed to stay warm and there is no view out then. I think since we have an upholstery shop in the family, we will add a clear vinyl window and another zippered flap to cover it for privacy if needed. I have used our Coleman Event Shelter with all the side panels installed and had the tear completely covered to stay out of steady wind. I do still erect tarps using ropes, poles, bungy cords, and stakes to make more shady areas. Some like the teardrop to escape the need to set up a tent or tents but I have always enjoyed them and still bring them along. It's all good!
Attachments
Comfort in the Forest but still camping! Campsite 4 at Lake Robert's Upper End Campground in the Gila National Forest, New Mexico.jpg
Comfort in the Forest but still camping! Campsite 4 at Lake Robert's Upper End Campground in the Gila National Forest, New Mexico.jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Rain fly of SUV tent rolled up to expose door. Very Cozy indeed..jpg
Rain fly of SUV tent rolled up to expose door. Very Cozy indeed..jpg (112.53 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:31 pm

I know this is an old thread but I'll show the 'hatch room' we use for a 3x4 standing area to change clothes. Cheap as it is just two small tarps tied at the sides and the front. It kept us dry in a thunder storm with strong wind and heavy rain. The bad, it will be difficult to close the hatch quickly if a storm or bear comes around. Obviously a camper would need to be built the same to have this feature.

T
Attachments
IMG_20151014_111310.jpg
IMG_20151014_111310.jpg (255.61 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
IMG_20150909_103151.jpg
IMG_20150909_103151.jpg (131.88 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I know this is an old thread T

Everything old is new again. Great idea

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:36 pm

I have the Texsport Spinnaker Autoshade.

It works nicely to keep shade or a slight drizzle off, but no sides on it.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets