Yet to be named build log

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Yet to be named build log

Postby MIB66 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Here is is with 3/4 ply ribs on 8.5" centers.
Attachments
Front ribs.png
Front ribs.png (96.41 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:29 pm

Seeing it that way on your long arched front, compared to my high and tight front radius, makes it look like a lot more work and a lot more wood with little to no advantage. Sorry if I sent you down a rabbit hole, but for your profile I would just use regular spars. :roll:
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MIB66 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Thankfully that was only about 15 min worth of effort. In some way the ribs are preferable to spars in the nose area. I would probably have to hand plane the spars to shape one at a time for a good roof to side fit. I'll already have a template made for the ribs as I need it for the roof edge. Would you fasten the wigglewood down, or just glue? I'll probably do the multiple ribs for the hatch too. I could do 4 ribs at 12" centers too if you think that would be enough support.

David
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:23 pm

I used screws with small temporary plywood washers (about 2x2 cut from scraps of the same 5mm ply I used for my ceiling skin) and glue.

The washers prevent the screws from pulling thru, spread the load, and also keep the screw from sinking in fully. This allowed me to do several dry fits and train the ply a bit w/o wallowing out the holes in the thin-ish ply. After it cured and I pulled the wooden washers off, I chose to put the screws back in (some people like to leave them out for weight savings and to avoid rust staining later... I used SS). The fact that the screws went a little deeper on the final seating meant that they grabbed a little better than if I had driven them all the way each time.

If you decide to go with the front ribs, why not just two with spars let in? Note that I lined my riblets up with my cabinet face frame stiles.

Don't forget that there are plenty of successful campers with similar profiles to yours that got by just fine w/o these extra ribs.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby blentz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 pm

MIB66 wrote:You don't want to try to deal with IDOT, the one eyed idiot. In a state that is bankrupt it will take me multiple attempts and many fees to get the home built trailer licensed.

I didn't know about that.
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Postby MIB66 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:46 am

This looks a little better:
Attachments
front ribs.png
front ribs.png (251.76 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby MIB66 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Alright, a few more questions for everyone.

I'm looking at a tremendous amount of drop in building the side frames and ribs for the nose and the hatch if I make them out of poplar. I'm beginning to think that skeletonizing some inexpensive 3/4" ply might be the easier and quicker rout to go for the side frames and ribs. What would the disadvantages be with this idea besides slightly more weight?

Thanks,
David
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby MIB66 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:32 am

I have finally started making saw dust!
In the past several weeks I have acquired almost everything for the build with the exception of the wood for the walls, headliner and roof. Yesterday I routed my pattern ply for the lap joints, and this morning I glued up one joint. Hopefully, I'll get the other done tomorrow. Once that is done, I'll start drawing some ellipses. Feeling excited!

David
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Congratulations on the first milestone; getting started. As my friend Karl would say, "you're almost done!".
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MIB66 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Proof of the build commencing:140863
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaveMann » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:02 pm

MIB66 wrote:I have finally started making saw dust!
In the past several weeks I have acquired almost everything for the build with the exception of the wood for the walls, headliner and roof. Yesterday I routed my pattern ply for the lap joints, and this morning I glued up one joint. Hopefully, I'll get the other done tomorrow. Once that is done, I'll start drawing some ellipses. Feeling excited!

David

As Mary Poppins said " A job well begun is half done."
DaveMann
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TheOtherSean » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Congratulations on a great start. 0.01% down, 99.99% to go. :lol:
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby MIB66 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:04 pm

I have the outline done, and it is rough cut to shape. My bulkheads are drawn out too. Wed. I'll get a belt sander and finish the outside edge. I need to fashion a bar that I can use with a protractor or similar to mark the offset for the roof spacer and the inner frame. I have the ellipse centers marked out so I can maintain the right offset. The door is marked out, but won't be cut until all the offsets are worked out, as two of the centers are in the door opening. I'm thinking I'll use 3/4" x 1.5" for the framing around the bulkheads. Now I'm starting to feel like this thing might actually get done!

David140876
MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby MIB66 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 pm

I spent about 4 hours working on the profile today. I finished the outside sanding. I also fitted the door to the opening. What can't be seen is the lines for the headliner spacer as well as the hatch. It actually looks lire a teardrop! The next step will be to cut off the hatch rib. After that I will clamp this to the other sheet and route the final outside template. Once that is done I will start cutting and assembling the frame pieces.
David

MIB66
Teardrop Builder

Postby ELM » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:30 pm

It's looking great and your moving right a long. I've hit a slow spot on mine. I've been working on pluming and electrical that takes more time, but I'm almost there and I just keep plugging along.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals