Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink!

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:23 am

Randy if you have ever had beaver fever (giardiasis) or any number of the other things like the Microcystin from algae (what closed down Toledo) or the chemicals that have leaked into the water system... you might think differently. There are far too many things we have introduced into the environment that I prefer to not be there in water. We do not buy bottled water, we do make sure it is clean.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:33 am

Bottled water is the biggest scam going.
I remember growing up in New Zealand and a friend of mine went to Europe and USA with his family and was telling me with amazement people paid money for water in bottles...
It was the most absurd thing id ever heard.
Uless your in the 3rd world...and even there you should reluctantly ever drink bottled water.
Its like 3 times the price of petrol for a start and an enviromental scurge.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:22 am

Shadow. I did state to beware of natural springs/surface water. I was mostly ranting on about how people turn down tap water that for the most part is safe ( Flint Michigan an important exception ) Or if it comes out of a tap with a tint or an odor. A lot of bottle water is just tap water that has been filtered a bit better and then sold at a huge mark up. I can not remember a time I have ever bought a bottle of water. I do fill up jugs of water from my home well or the irrigation well if it is irrigating season and take with me on trips but I do not fear local water fountains. Or camp ground water taps.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:38 am

I am with Randy and Dale on this one!
I have stuck my face in many of stream , pond, or river throughout my life from Canada to Mexico. And have yet to be sick from Water??? :?
And bottled water......Yes, it is a serious scam in most cases.
And the pollution from bottled water is unconscionable! :x All of those plastic bottles discarded everywhere. And people walking around sucking on them all day? They are just washing all of the protection off of their teeth, causing huge dental problems down the road. :thinking:
So before I start ranting about everyone that comes on my property and leaves their plastic water bottle behind for me to recycle......I would like to fess up to buying bottled water when we go camping in the USA. :oops:
Yes, it costs more than the gas everyone complains about while travelling! :x But, it is just too handy to have on ice in the cooler or beside you in the console while driving. We need something to wash down all of that trail mix! :R
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:20 pm

I've been drinking out of this river and its tributaries––unfiltered, untreated–-since 1977.

It's the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. It headwaters in Stanley Basin. From its mouth, in this pic, for ninety-five miles, there are no roads. No cows. Plenty of bighorn sheep, elk, deer, bears, wolves, lions and of course beaver. And damn good cutthroat fishing.

Drag your 'drop out into the Bruce Meadows country at its head and spend a few days. Late June or July would be prime. Check out Dagger Falls. Perhaps you'll see a Chinook make the leap. And of course, dip your palms and take a sip.

Beaver fever? I'm probably a carrier. :twisted: :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Drinking even clear spring water is foolish without first boiling it or purifying with chemicals. All it takes is the right bacteria and you've got problems than can end in having no more problems.

Pitcher filters really are just activated charcoal to remove bad taste. They do nothing to remove spores and bacteria....the really harmful stuff. Some might have been lucky....but personally I'm not prepared to bed my life on it....or even the probability of having a really s****y vacation.

Life straw, Berkey, propure, katadyn, or just boiling is cheap insurance. Drinking without proper filter is folly unless you have sanitized tanks (starsan or even simple chlorine...1/2 cap (concentrated) to 1 gallon of water is standard) and a clean water source...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cheri832 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 pm

A few years ago, while planning a trip to South America, I picked up a Steri-Pen. 90 seconds to disinfect a liter of water. I take it on every camping trip. It's nice to have off-grid options. It doesn't take away funny tastes but really ups the safety.
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Recently there has been research that shows that the sun is good enough to clean most of the bad stuff from water. Just put a clear plastic bottle of water in direct sunlight for two hours.
This is the recommendation for those without access to clean water in most of the world.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:43 pm

I would imagine a glass bottle would be even better. If you can find one and not break it. :(

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Pixie Susan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:00 pm

I use a sawyer mini when I'm backpacking or traveling light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:45 pm

I take 6 gallons of tap water from home for cleaning ( or drinking if necessary, but I don't sterilize the system so I play it safe). I also bring a 2.5 gallon distilled water container from the store. This is for drinking and cooking. I like to bring distilled because I can always use it in a battery if needed. It feels a little different on the tongue since it lack minerals etc, and its not as wasteful as bottled water. ( ok I do bring some bottled drinks including water), but we also fill bottles from the jug.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets