My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

Postby booyah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am

If you're looking at a fondue burner, look seriously at a pressurized alcohol stove. The photon stove is what I have, and 1oz alcohol will boil 2 cups (1pt) of water in about 5 minutes in a wide bottom pot. If you make your own stove you can direct the heat better wherever you want.

if will do 2 pints in a bit longer (8 min or so) with less than 2oz

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/photon-stove/
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Though it would appear from the differences in energy content that the fondue burner would probably perform about the same as that with everclear in it vs methanol based fondue fuel. (Edit: or to put it another way, if I put methanol in that it would take as long as the fondue burner.. Everclear would be about $30 per 500ml where the Fondue fuel is $1.25.)
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:25 pm

In the US, denatured ethanol (with nasty stuff in it so people dont drink it) can be purchased for very little at most paint supply locations (including your big box stores)

that or the non Isoprohol based HEET gas line antifreeze is what I've run in my alcohol stoves

why burn the Everclear? thats for the fire inside!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby ZugZug » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 am

My husband loves his morning coffee
I bought him an AeroPress for Christmas and he's a very happy camper
Quick, easy, unbreakable, lovely smooth coffee

http://www.aeropress.com.au/
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:27 pm

booyah wrote:In the US, denatured ethanol (with nasty stuff in it so people dont drink it) can be purchased for very little at most paint supply locations (including your big box stores)

that or the non Isoprohol based HEET gas line antifreeze is what I've run in my alcohol stoves

why burn the Everclear? thats for the fire inside!

Denat is hard to find up here, mentioned everclear because that's what testing was done with. non-iso HEET is methanol. Which btw, you shouldn't use as a gas line antifreeze if you've got ethanol in gas, use the iso-HEET, because mix of methanol and ethanol lowers the amount of water that can be held in solution, i.e. it separates out, collects, freezes which is what you're trying to prevent. However, I never buy either and use costco 99% isopropyl in the gas tank because it's cheaper. Though up until 2005ish when we got E10, I used fondue fuel in the tank instead of methanol HEET. Do keep wondering what an ISO-methanol blend would burn like though. Methanol is off from ethanol one way and iso is off the other, so you'd think a blend would be about the same. Tincan stove testers dismiss Iso because it burns different, I say it's just you need a different stove design or tweak (More air probably) ... interestingly copper is catalytic to ethanol and methanol dehydrogenation at about 85C or so, so if you wanna soup up your stove, think copper mesh or something.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 am

I am still very happy with my all purpose redneck water heater and the coffee singles. Some one walks up to visit and I just hand them a cup of steaming water a coffee "teabag" and point out the sugar. You can steep it as long as you want and make it as strong as you want to suit your personal tastes. The beauty of the red neck water heater you have other options such as hot chocolate, hot tea, heck you can even make quick oats or soup and still have hot water to wash up with :D

ImageImage
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ZugZug » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 am

HI Slow - in relation to your question (and I'm not a coffee drinker so only know what my husband tells me on this subject, and from observing from the sidelines)
A french press pushes the coffee grounds to the bottom, i.e. out of the coffee so you can drink it without the grounds.
An aero press is more similar to a benchtop espresso machine, in the sense that it pushes the hot water down through a disc of compressed coffee, and out through a tiny hole into your cup. So it's more like an espresso, and uses a finer grind of coffee.

A benchtop espresso coffee machine uses a motor to push the water down, an aero press uses your hand to push the water down using a plunger. But the idea is basically the same.

Don't ask me about those machines with the capsules of coffee though. I have no idea - we've never had one.
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:33 am

The keurig and tassimo pod machines are more or less similarish to the espresso disk in that they shove hot water through the coffee.
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed May 04, 2016 7:07 am

Test ran my perc pot alcohol fired "coffee appliance" yesterday... have several issues to solve...

First off, test runs have misled me about rate of fuel consumption, 15mins fuel only lasted 10, I think this is probably due to the burner not getting to "terminal heat" in the short runs, thus when it's hot hot, it evaps the alc more rapidly and burns more fierce. That's sort of a good thing, means it's a "higher power" burner than I thought...but...

Most of the burner heat was wasted heating up the stand... yeah I suspected this problem, it's quite a lump of metal, with unnecessarily large "vanes" of legs, and has as much surface contact with the pot as it lets the pot expose to burner. Not sure at the moment whether I'm going to hack away at it to remove "heatsink" surface, and limit contact area with pot, or start afresh, make a replacement... don't think I have any suitable wire, would like a little more robust than coathanger... Not sure if I mentioned I found a perforated metal "basket" to use as a wind shield... I may just integrate with that, put some long bolts in to hold pot.

So stand got super hot in 10 mins, pot not so much, so transferred it to kitchen stove, took a minute to boil from there, let it perk 3 mins, which I have been told is max not to kill the coffee, and turned it off... Coffee was meh, I'd filled pot to 5 cup level and put 5 scoops of Folgers in. It was weak, so not sure if I should have perked longer, or used more coffee... however, the Folgers we have been getting recently has been disappointing in our drip machine, on the weak side in that, so not sure how much to blame the coffee at the moment. Yeah I gave up on trying to find a cheaper commercial medium grind for now, not paying $15 for a pound of custom coffee, though if I find a cheap grinder I might pick beans up from bulk store, I just rattled the folgers to make sure all the dusty stuff went to the bottom and used that, not a heck of a lot got into the pot, just a bit of dust, and the pot design helped prevent it from coming out in the pour.

Anyway, upshot of that is, I think I've got enough burner and I think the pot might make reasonable coffee with some adjustments to coffee fill.
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:52 pm

The "exact right" bit of stuff to redo the perc stand hasn't turned up yet...

However, meanwhile... Turned up a 300W Single cup that will run off a power box or 350W inverter I've got... By Salton. Garage sale find.

Just today, grabbed a banged up but functional looking aluminum drip pot set, with a reservoir with small holes in, filter basket underneath and pot, that all fits together neat. Nice and light. Think I still need additional vessel to boil in though.

Camping prospects for this year look more off griddy than last.... getting access to some rural property through contacts.
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I've got my own hybrid system now too. I use the french press to brew the coffee, but I don't use the "Press", I pour it through a drip filter. Its smooth and strong like the FP makes, but reduces the clean up significantly.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Nice!
My solution. They fold flat if you are pinched for space.
http://amzn.to/2lUdr50

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby booyah » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 am

I really like my french press, water usually isnt an issue for me being in Michigan

This is my goto for this year
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P91SBK/

I've been using a standard glass french press for the last few years, but I always worry about it bouncing around in the trailer and breaking... :oops:

if you arent afraid of getting your hand a little messy, just a paper towel or two will clean out the vessel, with a little water on another to clean the filter and you're golden for cleaning up a press... :D

My kids understand the importance of coffee, until coffee is made no one gets breakfast... Coffee is so dad doesnt murder everyone :thumbsup:

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby jim mcdermott » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

As my wife doesn't drink coffee, I have a Keurig single in the back of mine. My wife got me a basket drip system but it had little weight to it and tended to fly around a bit if not properly stored. The Keurig unit has a decent center weight base and Ican secure it pretty easy.

Jim around Hilton Head

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
jim mcdermott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cosmo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes its becoming clear coffee is the glue that holds the universe together. That realization is probably a clear indicator I need more coffee.

Another one cupper is this one with a built in filter. http://amzn.to/2mxPqEh
Stainless more steel models
http://amzn.to/2m0KLYd
http://amzn.to/2m0XKJj
http://amzn.to/2lZzMQx

The true coffee aficionado will settle for nothing less than their own coffee roaster too. Roasted beans start oxidizing quickly. Green beans keep stay fresh much longer.
http://amzn.to/2mffxi5

In case you need a camp conversation starter just take out your rotary roaster...
http://amzn.to/2lEvCLh

Grandma used to roast in a pan. I have used a hot air popcorn maker and it worked fine.

Warning - the smell of roasting coffee will attract sleepy campers.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion