Waterproof tape?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Waterproof tape?

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 pm

So lets say I wanted to tape something in, to make it waterproof while outdoors. It might be a window, it might be a roof vent. It might even be a galley hinge.

I've tried duct tape, and it's not waterproof.

What can I use that would be waterproof?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Waterproof tape?

Postby GPW » Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Eternabond tape , and not from the RV dealers , but a roofing supply ( Cheaper ) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Tenacious tape for a temporary fix, Eternabond for a permanent fix.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Eternabond!!! It is thicker than your average duct tape. I've also had good luck painting over the white vinyl variety.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed May 04, 2016 9:30 pm

You know, the duct tape I could get in the late 90s, I actually taped a leaking rad hose with, lasted long enough to get a new one. Also sealed a windshield leak with some for 3 years, but then the sun fried it... by then, everywhere had crappy stuff and I couldn't get anything that would stick for a couple of weeks out in the weather, never mind seal. People tell me to get the Duck brand, but I dunno. Tried other brands supposed to be okay.

"Tuck" tape used for sealing vapor barrier is pretty good, not sure if it holds up to UV long, it's supposed not to have to.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 6:31 am

The new Gorilla Tape is like a really good (and sticky) duct tape ... I’ve had some doing duty as a drip edge on the FoamStream , out many months now in the weather , still looks new ... not even looking like coming off ... One thing about Eternabond , once you stick it down , you’d better be SURE that’s where you want it ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 am

I've also used the gorilla tape to make repairs to a tarp that covers my father's RV when it's at home. I put it on there last September, and so far it's still in place and not leaking.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby prohandyman » Thu May 05, 2016 11:39 am

Another vote for Eternabond tape, used it on almost all my builds. Be careful though...do Not put it where you don't want it. It truly is permanent
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dales133 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 pm

prohandyman wrote:Another vote for Eternabond tape, used it on almost all my builds. Be careful though...do Not put it where you don't want it. It truly is permanent

Ive used a similar product in several places on my build and ive used it alot on building repairs.
The stuff i use is about 2 inces wide and about 2mm thick with a foil face and bituminous center and glue that never lets go on it.
I taped around my fan hole and around the wall to roof edge under the aluminium and trim.
Isnt that cheap but its permanent and self healing to small punctures
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 pm

aha, some good ideas there...

I'm looking for a temporary solution, so maybe the Tencaious... definitely not the Eternabond...

Thanks...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm

My latest intel on this is that boat tape for shrinkwrap is real good stuff. After all it's supposed to be exposed to the elements I guess 8 months between boating seasons in the north.

However, on investigating sources, there appears to be two types, stuff to use on the wrap, and stuff to use to seal the wrap to the hull. I would imagine that the stuff intended to go on the hull is more easily removable. My intel source however didn't distinguish between the two.

Anyway, rumor has it that it's regarded as an "instant repair" for pop-up owners who have their roof crack, and also for sealing around vents etc. Possibly you might have to redo it every few years but it's sounding more durable than other tapes.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion