Tigin Linn - Little House and Us

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tigin Linn - Little House and Us

Postby McGuffin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Your material is certainly thicker than the skin I used. Probably used for shower installs maybe? With the thicker material you should be alright... I'm anxious to see the end result! Good luck!
:thumbsup:

Thanks Michael,

It is rather stiff material - typically used over here for the roofs of horse boxes. I pulled the straps off tonight (after 5 days) and the thing seems to be pretty well stuck.

You can see where the glue has gripped it in squashed "dabs"

I left the FRP at the hatch end unstuck:

The reason for this is because I want to fit the hurricane hinge underneath the FRP so it deflects the rain better - something like this:

The FRP is held on the cross members and the edges with the glue, in between (where it goes over the insulation) it is floating and depresses slightly when pressed down but reforms and flexes back OK. I don't know at this stage how it will hold up to temperature extremes so ....... fingers crossed.

I have a bit of work to do now sanding back the edges of the material and sorting out the edgetrim. I plan to fit and temporarily fix all the trim etc and then take it off prior to the spray job.

Thats the plan anyway :)

Sláinte

:beer:

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 am

Something I would do... Pull it outside while the sun is shining and see if anything happens. Hopefully not but it would be better to know now before you get deeper into it. :thumbsup:
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 am

Hey Larry! Been awhile since we heard from you... Impatiently waiting to see your build progress! Hope all is well.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McGuffin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Hey Larry! Been awhile since we heard from you... Impatiently waiting to see your build progress! Hope all is well.

Hi Michael,

Yes Thank you. I'm grand! I was away for a couple of weeks. Got to Chicago to visit as well. What a great city. Had a fantastic trip and came back with a few nice bits and pieces for the Tigin. There has been a bit of progress....

I made an aluminium rim and fitted the hurricane hinge so that the hatch can now be assembled and fitted into place.

Here are the hatch "ribs" I made about a year ago:

Here is what they look like now after the expert (my local cabinet maker John) has put them together:

I'm also working on the mudguards. I have two retro looking fenders in fibreglass that are meant for a Morris Minor Traveller. They need to be fattend - but I have decided not to do this because I think the big boxes will made them vulnerable.... so I have decided to plank them straight on to the sides of the teardrop and manufacture two simple arches in steel which will be neater. Something like this:

and this is what the proposed rear bumper will look like in order to protect them:

Here is the real life mock up:

Some more news ... Ireland have just qualified a few days ago for the European Cup Finals in June next year. The pressures on to finish this baby so I / we can do our bit to support the boys in green.

Thats the plan anyway...

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 pm

That's great that you had a good trip! Good to see yoh back on you're build and a lot accomplished! Keep up the great work! And thanks for the pictures!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 am

Looks like good progress is being made now. Hatch is looking like it should be strong enough & fit well. I second what Michael said about the temperature change. If there's any sun in the next few months (I know, not really likely now that it's winter), it might be worth rolling it out to see what happens.

Green paint by any chance? It might be a good choice.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McGuffin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Atomic77 wrote:That's great that you had a good trip! Good to see yoh back on you're build and a lot accomplished! Keep up the great work! And thanks for the pictures!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for dropping by and your kind words of encouragement.

I had a great trip thanks. I always love visiting America and the people in Chicago are so friendly and (rightly) proud of their great city. Our daughter and her husband have made their home there and they love it too. And .... our grand daughter Thea was born there too this year so we've a lot to be thankful for.

Here's me shaking hands her at a week old...

I'm a life-long fan of Bonnie Raitt too so I'm hoping in time Thea will be as fond of American Blues as her grand daddy is. I'm trying to give her a head start...

Anyway ... back in the Shamrock Shore, I had a bit of a chuckle to myself when you and Tim were suggesting that I wheel the Tigin outside to see how the sun effects the FRP. It's been raining cats and dogs here and howlin' gales for this past week. There'll be no sun worth talking about here now 'til about May - so I'm afraid we'll just have to wait and see! It'll be grand ... :roll:

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McGuffin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm

noseoil wrote:Looks like good progress is being made now. Hatch is looking like it should be strong enough & fit well. I second what Michael said about the temperature change. If there's any sun in the next few months (I know, not really likely now that it's winter), it might be worth rolling it out to see what happens.

Green paint by any chance? It might be a good choice.

Hi Tim,

Green paint? Maybe. It looks lovely on the Tucon Tortoise so I'll put that idea into the mix.

I nipped over to have another look at what John was at today. I had to drop him over a few little bits and bobs and he set up the boot lid to give me an idea of the fit.

He is doing a great job. I admire every one like yourself who can do this work solo but I'm glad I left this bit to an expert a lot of the clearances are 3 and 4 mm - here she is shaping up...

I'm thinking of skinning the exterior of the trunk in steel for strengh on the overhangs and then sticking the FRP on to that. I'm not sure. There is a guy locally who cuts it off a roll it's only about .5 mm thick. So it's light enough.... jury is still out.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lincolnlerner » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:35 am

About 25.9 lbs by my estimate. Greetings from Chicago! A two meter by one and a half meter piece.

Looking great! Any questions or things you want from Chicago let me know!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McGuffin » Sat May 07, 2016 2:48 am

lincolnlerner wrote:About 25.9 lbs by my estimate. Greetings from Chicago! A two meter by one and a half meter piece.

Looking great! Any questions or things you want from Chicago let me know!

Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for that estimate and the offer of help - Chicago is one of my favorite cities - so you never know ... and if you ever get as far as Ireland let me know too.

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McGuffin » Sat May 07, 2016 4:31 am

Hi Everyone,

Apologies …. its been a while since I posted some progress shots and information on the Tigin. Things have been just so busy and progress slow but so here are a few update shots which brings it right up-to-date.

I used this stuff:

which is readily available aluminum stair tread edge to make the door reveals. Here they are done.

This is the hatch made and in position. Here is a couple of snaps before it was skinned with FRP. The top strip is a piece of "dibond" which I thought would be more durable at the placece that abuts the Hurricane hinge, more so than the flexi plywood that the rest of the hatch is made with ( I have her skinned now):

Eventually the doors were trimmed with edging (I forgot to take photographs of this) the dinky wee windows fitted and the little beauty is at last starting to shape up. Here she sits on my hitch:

This triangle of plywood will eventually be covered in Aluminum Checker Plate.

I was going to put a box here but it is actually a great place to carry bikes so that is probably where they'll go. Something like this without the box:

Here's what the doors look like from the inside:

Here is the kitchen finished. I used some scrap FRP to line the inside of the lid (I'll get this sprayed the same colour as the outside when the time comes):

I got her weighed yesterday. With all the cabinetry now installed she sits at 600 Kgs - which is great because I elected to have her unbraked and the law here is that a trailer without brakes need to be under 750Kgs. That little detail caused a few sleepless nights:

I'm now concentrating on the wiring and getting the remainder of the aluminum trim sorted and other bits and pieces

:wine:

Soon to be camping Larry

By the way ... I just made the big Six Oh the day before yesterday - ya'll missed a good night in Wexford

This thing was planned a few years ago as a special gift to myself for an occasion that's coming 'round in four weeks time. Here's a hint - I might stick one of these on the back :)

McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 am

Great progress & the weight looks to be reasonable for towing, which is always a concern. Detail work is coming together now & planning is paying off. Any more thoughts on the paint scheme?

Looking forward to more pictures of the progress, but it really looks nice now. How's the FRP doing with sun & changing weather? Is the glue still holding well?

Congratulation on 61! My retirement is this year, actually next month, & we're taking a little trip for our celebration in July.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McGuffin » Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm

[quote="noseoil"]Great progress & the weight looks to be reasonable for towing, which is always a concern. Detail work is coming together now & planning is paying off. Any more thoughts on the paint scheme?

Looking forward to more pictures of the progress, but it really looks nice now. How's the FRP doing with sun & changing weather? Is the glue still holding well?

Hi Tim,

I'd love to be at the stage where I was choosing the paint color - I've a ways to go yet. I'll probably go for a flat gray or perhaps a metallic aluminium.

The FRP is grand. The glue has stuck fast and there is no issue with wrinkles. However I did put another skin on the roof because the first one was ridged slightly because I stupidly put glue cross-ways on the roof spars.

These "caught" the FRP and when you stood back and looked at it it looked a bit like one of those old skin canoes where you can see the supporting ribs through the canvas. I "floated" on a second sheet and this has sorted out the problem OK.

The aluminum roof

Cheers,

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi Larry,
Congratulations on your impending retirement! :thumbsup:

That tear looks usable right now. You need to
get out and use it as soon as possible. Enjoy.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:36 am

Things are looking good! Any more progress?
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals