Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Security & Camping alone

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:08 am

celticquetzel wrote:One thing I haven't seen yet on this thread is battery operated outdoor motion sensor lights. You'll get early warning, and it might even scare away skunks!

I have a solar-charged motion sensor light; but, one needs to be careful with those. Camping neighbors do not like lights shining in their windows or on their tents. I put mine on the trailer tongue, behind the tow vehicle, where it shouldn't disturb anyone but I will see it go on as it glows in my trailer's front window. In my case, I use it to discourage critters, looking for food, from trying to get into the car. (I usually keep the ice chest in the back of the car, unless there is a bear box.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby gypsy97 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

I remember asking a couple of Toyota mechanics about towing with the Highlander, and neither one seemed to think it was a good idea. Also, the cost of having a hitch installed is really high - can't remember exactly but something in the neighborhood of $1500+.
Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 am

Gypsy, I am sending you a PM with more information.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Abaker50 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Much of the reason I want to have a trailer has to do with security as well as comfort. I will be traveling alone with my son some of the time, as DH isn't really a traveler & I want more than a tent between us & danger - if only to slow it down some.

DS & I recently took a trip through parts of Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky & Illinois. We rented a minivan & slept in the back the whole way, alternating between Wallydocking & inexpensive campgrounds. This worked really well for our purpose, since the goal was to see the country rather than camping for the sake of camping. We employed many of the strategies mentioned in this thread, the most important being awareness of our surroundings, keeping the keys & cell within reach at all times & not leaving the van for any reason after bedding down for the night (we had an emergency "toilet" - a bucket with kitty litter - that we didn't need, thankfully). I bought a can of wasp spray at the 1st Walmart.

It was good to know that we could take reasonable precautions w/o letting the potential dangers prevent us from having a great experience.
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:55 pm

celticquetzel wrote:One thing I haven't seen yet on this thread is battery operated outdoor motion sensor lights. You'll get early warning, and it might even scare away skunks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzA1OTY0NjciLCJza3UiOiI5MzA2OCIsImlzIjoiOS45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0AOiIyNTI1In0%3D%0D%0A

http://www.harborfreight.com/led-motion-sensor-light-95276.html

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have used the small HF light for years. Amazing how wonderful it is. It also is nice to be able to step out of the TD or into the PP TP and have light. :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ramblin' Ruby » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:07 pm

I am just fixing up my Teardrop for lots more camping and have a strange lock on the door. It only locks on the outside, and someone could turn it without locking it, and I still would be stuck in there. Does anyone have some suggestions for a lock for the inside (when I'm in there) and a lock for the outside when I'm pulling it. It's kind of a battered up door. Maybe just a dead bolt on the inside? and ??? on the outside.
Ramblin' Ruby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Dead bolt or a hook on the inside.

What is the exterior lock? Some of us with cargo trailers install a bracket we can latch and lock the mechanism to to disbale the locking bar. Other types of catches may need other disabling. A description or photo would help provide advise.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby razorback » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:19 am

I found this on HIghlanders. Please check your manual to make sure this is correct:
Four-cylinder Highlanders can tow 1,500 pounds, or up to 3,000 pounds if you buy the towing prep package
V6 Highlanders can tow 2,000 pounds, or up to 3,500 with the towing prep package

The prep package includes an upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ramblin' Ruby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 pm

2-IMG_2160.JPG
First photo - outside - 2nd photo = inside
2-IMG_2160.JPG (51.91 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Since I haven't gone out and camped alone yet.....it's interesting reading all of your posts. I have a dog and don't ask about firearm :twisted: My problem is what kind of lock on the "bedroom door" of my teardrop? The lock that's on it, can only be locked on the outside.!! Scary.!!! I'm thinking I'll take that off and put a deadbolt on the inside. How do you ladies do that? Do you trust the latch that's existing? Should I plan on getting a newer door?
Attachments
1-IMG_2159.JPG
1-IMG_2159.JPG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Ramblin' Ruby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

A sliding bolt type on the inside for peace of mind when inside. Also that outside hasp should have a way to disable it, a way to lock it in the open and unlocked position so there is no danger from a jerk locking you inside.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:22 am

That hasp lock is on wrong anyway. The screws are supposed to be covered by the hasp when closed. It needs to be folded under the hasp.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ZugZug » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Still on the countdown to picking up my teardrop, and trawling these threads to keep me occupied in the meantime.

My husband is a sometimes-camper (and sometimes it's just me that wants to go). So I'll go camping alone from time to time.

Here is my security system, for those occasions: 129692

While admittedly he's very friendly with people, he has a good serious loud bark and he is (when it all boils down) a big black dog who could do some damage if he ever needed to.

Of course, he loves the outdoors and is multi-talented. He can not only act as a guard dog, but also as a very efficient means by which sand can be transported from the beach to the bed area.

It is unfortunate that he also farts a bit at times. But none of us are perfect, are we? No metwurst for him while we're away!

We're luck to have some great campsites in SA that allow dogs. Most of them are caravan parks, some of them are just great camping spots. Obviously he won't be able to join me on trips to National Parks, but that's ok. That's probably something I'd rather do with hubby anyway.
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:16 pm

ZugZug wrote:129693

It is unfortunate that he also farts a bit at times. But none of us are perfect, are we? No metwurst for him while we're away!

I recently read that they have found that smelling the sulfur from farts actually boosts ones immune system. Now, I don't mind it so much when my dog lets a smelly one! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Patti » Sun May 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Do women who camp alone get hit on a lot? I'm not worried about safety. But I have wondered how much of a problem guys can be, just wanting to be 'friendlier' than you do.
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby minstrel » Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 pm

I've only been out a few time but haven't had that problem.....However, I'm not near as cute and perky as I was about 30 years ago!!! :lol:
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers