Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Security & Camping alone

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Patti wrote:Do women who camp alone get hit on a lot? I'm not worried about safety. But I have wondered how much of a problem guys can be, just wanting to be 'friendlier' than you do.

Not that I have found. If you stay in a well-defined campground, especially if there are camp hosts, you shouldn't have many, if any, problems. I've read that, supposedly, you are safer in a campground than you are in your own home. However, do take precautions such as carrying pepper spray and wasp spray. Keep things locked up, too. Another one that I have learned is to stay within eye-view and ear-hearing of other campers. Don't stay in isolated areas. This may discourage mischievous behavior.

Two years in a row, I have been surprised by "lurkers" that have come to the Dam/Shasta Lake Gathering to meet me; but, both of them have been very respectful and not a problem. Of course, I look sort of like a short football player with shoulder pads that fell to her chest. That might have something to do with not getting hit on. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 08, 2016 10:01 pm

minstrel wrote:I've only been out a few time but haven't had that problem.....However, I'm not near as cute and perky as I was about 30 years ago!!! :lol:
Liz

I've been camping for about 40 years and used to be fairly attractive. ...Never got hit on in a campground because of my looks. Of course, you need to use common sense, such as, don't camp next to a bunch of partying and/or drunk guys. Heed the other precautions that I mentioned above, too. Another thought is to try to not camp where beer is readily available. I used to prefer primitive (think outhouses) campgrounds for that reason, too. It's been my experience that people in primitive campgrounds tend to be more serious about their camping.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Patti » Tue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Thank you for your responses!

I wasn't thinking so much about busy campgrounds, but more about about less busy campgrounds and boondocking--National Forests and BLM areas, for example. Of course common sense is always the bottom line!
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby 3GKnight » Tue May 10, 2016 5:10 pm

S. Heisley wrote: Of course, I look sort of like a short football player with shoulder pads that fell to her chest.

I actually LOL'd at this...
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:29 pm

Old thread

Any new suggestions? Any new divices? Ideas? Experiences?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:44 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:Old thread

Much has changed over the years, yet there's still that element out there we all need to be aware of. The question becomes: What part of security are you trying to improve?

I'm always looking at personal (family/friends) security and how I can improve. This is my greatest area of concern.
Since my camper (truck camper) is always with us, camper security is basic for us, though I do watch for new ways and if they apply for us.
Site is a strange issue for me and look at lighting mostly as it leads into personal security. One of those for me I like improvement.

So, what is it you wish to improve?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:09 pm

Safer than the city. Grab a can of bear spray and you'll not fear man nor beast.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 pm

I believe you on the bear spray!

While Christmas shopping I found something for my grown kids. Kid 1 doesnt have an alarm the car. Its a 1995. I found a personal alarm. I put it in the stocking. Got one for kid 2. Kid 2 is a kayaker. Hopefully someone can hear it somewhere on the lake or river. I will have the kids test them.
On my TTT I have reuger stickers on the windows. And I do carry. I trained, practiced and was brought up to use a fire arm carefully. And I also have an alarm on my vehicle. Triple warning! Oh! And a dog!

Im thinking of addjng those rechargable motion sensor lights. This one has been debatable due to me enjoying the dark sky and star gazing.

I could go old school and run some trip wire with cans attached??? :thinking:
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:27 pm

I could go old school and run some trip wire with cans attached??? :thinking:

And a deer pops it off and scares the crap out of you.

I think you should quit worrying about this and go camping. It's not a problem.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers