My First Cook is Complete - OR - A DO virgin no longer......

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

My First Cook is Complete - OR - A DO virgin no longer......

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Well, I musta been good this year cause I got a Lodge 12" DO this morning for Father's Day. Well as soon as I was able, I got a fire started in the BBQ grill and went inside to wash and scrub the new oven with hot water. Before long, the oven was a nice dark brown/black color inside and out and I was ready to think about cooking.

After all the great looking cobblers I have seen here, I decided pretty quickly that I wanted to try my hand at one, so cobbler it was. Fresh strawberries, butter and batter were soon combined and the cooking was underway.

All was well until about half way through the cook when I looked up and I saw this:
It looked like my first cook would be ruined. God however must have intervened and all was well until the cobbler was ready.

I gingerly lifted the lid(thinking about every story I had ever read about dropping ashes into the food) and this is the sight that greeted my eyes:

Oh man does this smell good. Even my wife thought it was good. As a matter of fact, she volunteered me to do lots more cooking :D

Sound like a good reason to buy more iron. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:33 pm

yummy !!!! Share the recipe...
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: My First Cook is Complete - OR - A DO virgin no longer..

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:53 pm

IndyTom wrote:...my wife thought it was good. As a matter of fact, she volunteered me to do lots more cooking :D

Sound like a good reason to buy more iron. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

Tom

Tom,
That's your ticket to the candy store for sure!!! :thumbsup:
Awesome looking cobbler! :thumbsup:
Wait 'til you take the family camping and eat stuff like that out in the woods! :twisted:

As far as Lodge's go... 16", 14", 14" Deep, 12", (Cross that one off the list) 12" Deep, 10", 10" Deep (If you hurry, you can still get one) and the 8". Also, (Most Important) Keep an eye out for that ellusive little 5" Lodge... It's the Holly Grail of Dutch Ovens. :o
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:01 pm

Looks good! nice color on the top. Send me some!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby IndyTom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:48 am

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. That was easier than I thought it would be. I think I let my coals go a little to far before I dumped them out. Some of them were very small when I started. But not bad for a first try.
Now, next I wanna try baking some breads. Biscuits tonight or tomorrow. Then, I have a recipe for a really simple french bread that looks like it would be perfect for camping. I will have to see how that comes out. I will share my efforts with everyone I promise.

Dean, I have already been working on my list, trying to decide which one I wanted next. This recipe would have worked better I think with a smaller oven, so, I may try an 8 or 10 next, depends on whats available locally. But now I am having to rethink the galley on my TD/TTT. How many of these things can I carry and where can I build their custom travel compartment. :D

Julie, I am going to try to recite the recipe from memory, This is my wifes recipe. She let me use it and luckily it was pretty simple.

1 1/2 c AP flour
1 1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 tbs baking powder
1 tbs kosher salt
2 tsp vanilla
4 c fresh berries ( I used strawberries this time cause we had just picked 'em)
8 tbs butter ( I think you could get by with less)
1 1/2 c milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients. With the oven over 8 coals, add butter to the oven to melt. While the butter melts, add the milk and the vanilla to the dry ingredients and whisk to a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the melted butter and scatter the fruit evenly over the top. Top the fruit with an additional 2 tbs of sugar. Bake at 350 for 40-50 min, until brown.

The Michigan blueberries will be here next month, I can hardly wait.

Tom

PS Now I know why you cook on a flat surface. I didnt have a non flamable surface to cook on, so I thought I would just use the fire grate in my grill. Wrong answer. I thought I would never get the thing to sit level. I gotta find something before the next cook.

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:01 am

Tom looks real good, I made my first cobbler yesterday also (pineapple-cherry) turned out great all the kids loved it. we're on our way :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:00 am

Tom,
The 16" and the 14" oven are what you want for breads...
I'd have to say the 14" is becoming my favorite oven.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Archer_1 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Tom,

As far as a cooking spot goes, head over to the garden section of your local Home Depot and pick up one of the clay 'catch-trays' that go under the large clay patio pots. Solid, flat, fire-resistant, and inexpensive. Use three bricks to get it off the ground if needed. :thumbsup:
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IndyTom » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:07 am

That is a great idea Archer. I will get one of those one afternoon this week. I am already planning more cooking in the thing.

Dean, from what you wrote, I am assuming that Lodge has discontinued the 10" Deep. Maybe that is the one I need to think about next so I can grab one before they are all gone.

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Mike B » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:43 am

IndyTom wrote:Now I know why you cook on a flat surface. I didnt have a non flamable surface to cook on, so I thought I would just use the fire grate in my grill. Wrong answer. I thought I would never get the thing to sit level. I gotta find something before the next cook.

You can get a feeding pan from a farm supply or co-op and use it to cook on. You might have to prop it up on bricks to keep the area under it from burning.

The feeding pan is basically like an oil change pan, except you can't get metal oil change pans now. It is about 4" deep and about 16" in diameter.

The pan also makes a great place to hold still-hot coals.

I was using a pizza pan I picked up at Walmart until I found this feeding tray.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:08 pm

Hey Dean,

Any idea where I might find a 10 deep DO without paying a small fortune in shipping? I have found 2 on the internet, but the shipping just makes them too precious.

The 12 was a little too large for the cobbler, unless I was going to make a really big one, with lots more fruit than I had, so which is your favorite between a 10" and an 8"?

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1