Yet more new bikes.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Yet more new bikes.

Postby Fenlason » Fri May 13, 2016 6:36 pm

There have been many bikes on my radar.. but we were not going to get any this year. I had purchased the Krampus about a year ago.. and am really loving it. I did recently get one for my wife. Her's will be keep the flat bars vs the drops. While loving the drop bars on mine, I have been intrigued with the flat bar version.. really wanted one.

I am not sure what Surly is doing bike wise.. they are running much of their inventory down.. and marking stuff down. They had no Krampus in my size. I have lusted after their Ice Cream Truck since it came out. They were 25% off and I had worked extra at work soooooo…. :twisted: The Ice Cream Truck is a super fat bike like the Moonlander. 4.8 inch tires on 100mm wide rims. The ICT is not an asymmetrical bike like the Moony and Pugs. It has a much stiffer frame and more modern trail bike geometry. It has through axles, and has suspension compatible geometry. I could also put 29er + wheels like the Krampus. Although I would have to build a new set. for the ICT has much wider hubs than the Krampus.

I just got it built today… and I went for it's first ride this afternoon. It's a pretty sweet bike… I still have a few things to adjust.. fit wise and such. It is yet to be determined if I will keep all 3 fat bikes or not.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: Yet more new bikes.

Postby Greg M » Sat May 14, 2016 11:50 am

I too was trying to hold out, but then a friend of mine gave me this:Image
I'm going to need a storage building at this rate.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 15, 2016 6:21 am

Greg M wrote:I too was trying to hold out, but then a friend of mine gave me this:Image
I'm going to need a storage building at this rate.

Wow! That is pretty incredible. Nice bike. :D

My space is getting tight. I am doing serious work on it this year. I have 3 roofs that need replacing.. among lots of other work… and some clean up and organizing.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Sun May 15, 2016 8:43 am

:thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 16, 2016 4:50 am

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 16, 2016 5:00 am

Laurie's new Krampus on the left.. mine on the right.

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 16, 2016 5:12 am

Laurie's is mostly stock [so far anyways]. Her's is a 1x and I switched out the 34 tooth front ring for a 30 wide/ narrow that I had on hand. I also cut her bars a little, although it needs more.

My Krampus… has had much for changes. I have a Woodchipper dropped bar, and a different stem so that fit is better. A lighter more comfortable carbon seat post I had on hand, and a lighter racier seat [also from my stock]. 10sp Dura ace STI levers [off my road bike.. which I upgraded to 11sp]. I switched out the single crank for a double.. and of course added a front derailleur. The rear derailleur needed to be switched out. Newer Shimano mountain derailleurs aren't compatible with the road shift levers. I had an older XTR derailleur that was. I also had to switch out the brake calipers, road and mountain have different cable pulls, so while having to switch I also upgraded to the new TRP calipers.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:46 pm

I have ordered wheels for my Ice Cream Truck. I want to try 29er+ on it. The 29er+ Wheels from my Krampus won't fit. The ICT uses a 150mm front hub vs the 100 on the Krampus. It also uses a through axle. The rear uses a 197mm through axle vs 135 regular q-release.

The wheels I ordered use DT Swiss. I opted for a WTB rim vs the Surly Rabbit holes.. despite the RH being on sale. The WTB rims set up tubeless much easier.

I was hoping to receive the wheels Friday, but tracking says Monday. [although later Monday] Hopefully I can get them set up before our Monday night ride.
Once I get my wheels I will check their clearance on the Bluto fork. If they fit ok, I suspect I will also get one of those.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Cool. Post up when it's complete. Would like to see it.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:04 pm

So what are we up to? 50?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:38 am

cigarsnjeeps wrote:Cool. Post up when it's complete. Would like to see it.

Will do. :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:40 am

mikeschn wrote:So what are we up to? 50?

Mike...

I don't really know any more... :oops:

I do need to get ride of some.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I finally got my wheels [and such] for my Ice Cream Truck.

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Nice. I sometimes miss my hardtails, but my back can't handle it. My new Hightower is great except I seem to have more pedal strikes now because of the low bb height. We have alot of rocks around here.

cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:20 pm

I have DT Swiss hubs. WTB i45 Scraper rims, and Maxxis Chronicle tires.. set up tubeless. The main reason I went with these rims vs the Rabbit Holes [that are currently on sale] for their ease in setting up tubeless. I used WTB tape and valves. I first inflated them without sealant.. and they inflated as easily as if they had tubes. I put new brake rotors on these wheels. It will make the seasonal change over easier, but the biggest reason was at the moment I could only get the hubs with center lock rotors vs the 6 bolts set up of the stock hubs. So basically I will just need to switch over the cassette when I switch the wheels out.

I am debating getting a pair of 5" studded Dillinger tires for it, and let this bike become my regular winter bike.

My Pugs is normally my go to snow bike, and when I really need the float.. I use the bigger tired Moonlander. So maybe my ICT for my go to bike.. and when there is a lot of softer snow.. I can ride my Moonlander with Lou and Bud tires, and platform pedals [vs my normal step ins.]

I am not sure If I will try a suspension fork on this or not.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles