What exactly is polyurethane caulk

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

What exactly is polyurethane caulk

Postby dakotamouse » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Could anyone name some common brands found at Home Depot or Menards so that I know what I'm looking for. The Kuffel Creek plans call for using this type of caulk and I don't know what to buy. :roll:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 pm

...why it is a caulk(generally adhesive in nature) that has a polyurethane base :D .....
...the PL brand name is very common...there are scads of others so read the labels since some are made for different applications...
...we used Gorilla Glue (a poly based glue) on much of our build since it doesn't require as much clamp pressure and used TiteBond III for the rest...
...for sealing joints on the AL and Al trim, we used auto windshield sealant (aka Evil Black Stuff), it is a one part poly sealant...very effective...................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: What exactly is polyurethane caulk

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:50 pm

dakotamouse wrote:Could anyone name some common brands found at Home Depot or Menards so that I know what I'm looking for. The Kuffel Creek plans call for using this type of caulk and I don't know what to buy. :roll:

Mouse....I use 3M marine adhesive sealant 5200, it's a polyurethane caulk, probably won't find it at a HD or a Lowes, available at West Marine or probably many of the other marine suppliers....it ain't cheap...12$+ a tube, and 1 is all you'll need, but it is made for above and below waterline sealing...stays sticky for a couple of days, is a pain to clean up, a little goes a long way...but it seals like a champ, stays flexible, white color only...I use it for transom tubes in boats...and since I'm building a woody, I use it to seal the area where my aluminum edging overlaps the wood sides, prior to installing the maple framing....works great!!...not the same thing as a latex or silicone based caulk...just my experience with it....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cracker39 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:53 am

I started out using the PL poly sealant. Right now, I have some OSI Quad Pro Series window/siding/roof sealant. I don't think it is poly based though. It has a synthetic rubber ingredient. It takes up to a week to fully cure and remains flexible.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dakotamouse » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I stopped in at a Marine supply shop and got some 3M marine adhesive sealant 5200 ordered. They said it will be here Wednesday, same day that our aluminum is coming so it works out real well.

Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Make sure you have some sort of thinner for clean up on your hands...ie lacquer, denatured alcohol, paint thinner maybe....it's extra sticky!!! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dakotamouse » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Will do. We have paint thinner around. I like the idea that it can be used below the water line on a boat.

Hmm ...if I do this right maybe she'll float! :lol:

Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques