best way to do steaks while camping.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Re: best way to do steaks while camping.

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

slowcowboy wrote:just a quick bored poll how do you all like your steak.........when camping? slow

I have 2 go-to recipes. The easy way, is let the steak warm up a little, smear some olive oil and montreal steak seasoning. Grill to the temperature you like ( really hot grill works best)

Option 2, Take fresh rosemary and chop it up with some minced garlic. Mix it with some olive oil. spread it over the steak and let it soak in for an 30 minutes or so. Grill as above
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Slow:

Try cutting some green willow sticks and throw on your coals. Three or four about 10" long and maybe a 1/2" in diameter. Put your steaks on after they start smoking.

You'll end up with a barbecued but smoked flavor of steak. 8) :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Seared over as hot bed of coals (600 degrees plus in Komodo) for enough time for mayard reaction. For a good start size steak (1.5 inch) about 4 minutes each side. Plus more minus. Let rest for 6-10 minutes. Top with a little a1 and it's done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Warm up to blood temperature (very important for anything from rare to medium imho)
Season and oil...add garlic and herbs ect if you want,
Then either.
1. Cook in a cast pan or on a grill hot as it will go 3/4s done one side then briefly the otherside.
2. If youve got a covered bbq then indirect until around 125f then sear one side only over direct heat for colour then rest for 5 mins.
That should give you perfect medium rare.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

best way to do steaks while camping.

Postby aggie79 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:29 pm

I like the reverse sear method. Season meet with black and white. Place On the smoker - with hardwood charcoal and hickory or pecan chunks - at 225-250 and cook to 20 degrees below desired temp. Sear about a minute total on both sides on kamado at 600+ degrees. Add a little garlic butter and let rest in a tent for 5-10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:48 am

aggie79 wrote:I like the reverse sear method. Season meet with black and white. Place On the smoker - with hardwood charcoal and hickory or pecan chunks - at 225-250 and cook to 20 degrees below desired temp. Sear about a minute total on both sides on kamado at 600+ degrees. Add a little garlic butter and let rest in a tent for 5-10 minutes.

My wife is winning me over a bit with that method, only instead of Komodo to use water...Sous vide. I wasn't even remotely interested until we went to a "resort hotel" (Vinnoy in Tampa) where they made scrambled eggs with Sous vide....my goodness.

That doesn't fall into "camp cooking" in my opinion though. Part of camping is reenforcing "water discipline" and using minimalist tools and techniques.

-G
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I'll take mine medium rare with home grown tomatoes and a beer.

The gas grill is always packed and riding on the tongue.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikerueve » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:53 am

I keep a small grate from an old grill, about 9 inches by nine inches, in my tongue box and a couple of disposable aluminum casserole pans. Start the coals in the pan and put the grate on top. We then just throw away the pan when done.
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Don't make things so difficult...

You know that fire you always make when you go camping? Just throw the steak over that fire... Turns out wonderful!!!

For example...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Reverse sear is the best way to go, but I don't have the hardware when I go camping to do that... :cry:

Mike...

aggie79 wrote:I like the reverse sear method. Season meet with black and white. Place On the smoker - with hardwood charcoal and hickory or pecan chunks - at 225-250 and cook to 20 degrees below desired temp. Sear about a minute total on both sides on kamado at 600+ degrees. Add a little garlic butter and let rest in a tent for 5-10 minutes.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby greygoos » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Fire grilled are the all time best. Sprinkle with a little Kosher salt and black pepper. When they are done to your liking tent loosely with foil for 5 to 10 minutes. This will allow the juices to to be reabsorbed in the meat. Hit it with a knob of butter just before you serve. If you cant afford a good steak completely cover the top of the meat with kosher salt. Let it sit at room temperature an hour for each inch of the steaks thickness ie 1 hour for a 1 inch thick steak. Rinse the steak off with water, pat dry and lay it on the fire. When the salt is gone you will see holes in the top of the steak. That is a sign that the meat fibers are breaking down.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Here at home I reverse sear everything from super thick ribeye to santa maria tri-tip...

Love it... the meat is typically red all the way through...

This is not the best example, but it was good none the less... a santa maria tri-tip...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Westy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 am

I like a steak cooked, briefly, over red hot coals. Roughly 2 minutes each side.

Then lay 3 or 4 asparagus stalks on the steak and layer thin slices of blue vein cheese over the asparagus. Allow the cheese to melt and serve.

That is somewhere near manna from heaven.

Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:21 pm

How does one reverse seer while camping? I never heard of this method before this thread.
From what I found on Google is that you put the steak into a 275 degree F for 45-60 minutes. Who has an oven like that available in a camping trailer?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Just use a weber mate.
I reverse sear pretty much everything to and the Go Anywhere is a great camping bbq.

Theres a lamb rack i reverse seared the other night
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1