Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

godskid wrote:Pennies -- washers --- I'll have to remember that one!! I wouldn't have thought of that - very clever!

Well the washers were 2 cents each and I had a drill ! :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Fri May 20, 2016 10:20 am

Lookin good Bob!
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby Old Rookie » Fri May 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Bob, we don't know each other but I just finished reading through your post and amazing story. WOW! You are a man of great courage and stamina. You refused to take "no" for an answer. Congratulations on standing up for what you believed in and in the end you won. :applause: :beer:
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the kind words Ken !

Well once again life has dictated my path. I have been looking and studying how to finish some of the walls in the caboose shower and cooking areas. My tiny house is placed where it will hopefully stay (baring any overzealous zoning inspectors) so I am now looking at ceramic tile. Yes I know its heavy and yes I know it can crack and yes I know it is not totally waterproof in and of itself but it was decided for me. I lost my buddy of 30 year about a month ago, and having know all his family almost as long, they know I am a packrat. He had somehow amassed a huge collection of ceramic tile. If you need to know how huge think 3 pick up loads or how about a 8 x 8 foot cube 3.5 foot tall. All the trim pieces as well ,and everything in a rainbow full of colors. I was offered the mess by the family and I took it. So the shower area for sure and maybe the whole bath area ! The back splashes are another possible project in the galley kitchen. I have three stacks of the fiberglass faced osb each about 6 foot tall so it will become the backer board for the tile. The current counters are nice Formica tops but they don't match perhaps a little creativity with tile there as well. Again total cost zero ( until I go to buy the application supplies) . I really had no plans such as this and yes I may live to regret it but life is an adventure so why not at least try and take the road less traveled. :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mezmo » Wed May 25, 2016 1:53 am

Hi Bob,

Good to see you're still perking around so well. I came across this faux caboose in some
general searching and thought you might find it interesting...

http://tinyhometour.com/2016/05/13/chec ... &pid=49998

Cheers,
Norm
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 25, 2016 10:23 am

Hey there Norm :

Yep going like a steam engine and feeling better than I have in the past two years.

Had a new milestone arrive last night. I stopped at the little general store and got some goodies for dinner. Some ground chuck , a nice big fat potato, and a can of spiced French style green beans. Went straight up to the caboose and started dinner. Stood staring at the bean can for a moment or two after realizing I was ill prepared for cooking (NO CAN OPENER) so I pulled out my pocket knife plunged it in the can and walked it around the edges. Memo to self "sharpen pocket knife"

Only had one skillet so I let the burgers get a head start and when almost done just dumped in the beans to warm them as well. I had already placed the potato in a freezer bag with a few tablespoons of water and plopped it in the microwave.

Even turned on the air conditioner to cool out a bit. seated myself on the futon couch and watched a little TV while I ate my first whole dinner that has been cooked in the caboose kitchen. :thumbsup:

Decided its time to move out the remaining tools and building supplies and get to living in the tiny house.

Oh the big hurdle ~~~~~~ Told the boss I want to go 1/2 time ! This ought to let him know I am serious about retirement and he might want to get a replacement trained while I am here to do it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 25, 2016 10:52 am

This old boy had a few more bucks in his pocket. He started with a real rolling chassis and built the rest. I am so jealous !!!! :x

But it is Beautiful !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 am

Well it's kinda neat general camping information but it is an addition to the compound up at the caboose so here is my latest

A ROCKET CAMPFIRE

How you gonna keep someone from stepping in the intake ?

Easy use a hollow log for an intake chimney

Found an old dying patio chair and took the grinder to it

fire grate layer one the back

Fire grate layer 2 the seat

You have to take my word that the smoke from the smoldering stick was being drawn down into the log intake.

AND the most important picture the fire was forgotten :x
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 am

I was at a yard sale this weekend and at the curb was a yard glider. The folks asked me if I would like it before the trash man picked up. I replaced 2 boards and used a remaining 1/2 a can of spray paint and I have a good looking free yard glider. I celebrated yesterday by setting, swinging, and enjoying a cold beer.

I'll dust off the camera A.S.A.P. promise !

Pulled down the rubber roof for the final trim and spent 2 hours mowing picking up and weed eating the site. I really looked great as I sat in my new (to me) glider and surveyed my little kingdom.

As the temps bumped 100 this weekend I let the AC run for the entire weekend and despite not having all the roof insulation in place and a portion of the side walls still without insulation ( waiting on plumbing) it was quite nice inside. I had set my $40.00 9000k AC unit on 71 degrees. I took a couple breaks and while cooling down I monitored the ac unit. This was the hottest part of the day and it was cycling in and out running the compressor only about 2 minutes every 6 minutes. So It was cooling about 20 minutes an hour and not running flat out. I was quite happy with that. I can't wait till all the insulation is in and the ceiling and wall sheathing is finally in place to check it again. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:50 am

It screamed caboose at me. Goodwill for $2.99 :D

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 pm

What a great find. And so appropriate for the caboose!!! :thumbsup:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:11 am

Summer shot of the caboose with all my yard sale and free finds.....Image

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

I did set down this weekend and look at my last couple electric bills for the caboose...... :D

Electricity used was $7.38 and the other bill was $8.43 (of course there is that damn service charge but we won't go there).
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjo129 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am

Awesome! Are you living in the caboose yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 am

The commute to work is the problem it's almost 75 minutes from the caboose and 20 from the house in a house so I stay closer M T W T nights then at the caboose on the weekends to get work done. The caboose is still crude but livable. I cooked out Monday night ( I know Monday is supposed to be at the HIH but the Tiny houses shows were all on for a few hours so I went to the gal pals). The fare was Pork cutlets on the grill, steamed veggies out of the microwave, and a garden salad at my new free patio table. It was a gorgeous night to "picnic". The commute to work problem is about to ease up as I am stepping down to part time on the 1st and going 3 days a week as a partial retirement. So I will be at the HIH only 2 nights a week when that happens. I needed the time to get the solar and rain water harvesting systems in place at the caboose. I have yet to get the plumbing in place either and can't button up the walls until that is done so in short I just needed more damn time to work on MY projects instead of the employers problems. They have refused to allow me to train another project estimator so maybe now they will take my departure seriously.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels