First build 5x10 Rimple design

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build 5x10 Rimple design

Postby mariannf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:21 pm

I was able to finish framing for the front facing window (and with that finish the roof spars). I bought this 15 x 18 crank out window:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01347 ... DV687MEABS

I bought it not knowing if I would be able to use it, but it looks like it will work for my purposes. the installed crank only allows the window to open about 7 inches. see pics: I was able to remove the crank push out arms from the window frame channel. this just required a push or two with a flathead screw driver to remove a plastic spacer. Once the crank arm mechanism is removed from the window frame channel the window can be pushed out either fully (to a 90 degree angle to the frame) or be taken out completely (which is what i did while getting the framing done).
because of the curvature of the front end I had to cut 5 inches down into the front bulkhead wall to assure that I had enough flat surface for the window. from that cutout i completed the framing using 1x2 (across top and as a final spar since no screws go into the top or bottom of the window, there is also no internal trim ring) and 2x2 for the side framing since the screws are on the sides of the window. it is seated in the wall cut out which is 3/4 ply and 1x2 frame.
I bought this window air conditioner http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-5 ... /206734522

it is 16 wide by 12 tall, and fits through the fully opened window. so when not using the a/c I will have a functional window (the crank bars are easily reinserted back into the window frame channel).
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (40.77 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (45.58 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Last edited by mariannf on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:23 pm

pics of detaching the crank out arms from the crank window so that it fully opens to accommodate a/c.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (30.01 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (35.32 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Last edited by mariannf on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:11 pm

That looks exactly like the ones that Grant Whipp used to sell at Little Bear, before he retired. If it is like that, it has auto glass in it; so, if the window ever breaks, the pieces won't fly everywhere. Also, I was told that it is easy to get the glass replaced, if you ever need to. Those type of windows let in a surprising amount of air and, because they are awning windows, they can be left open during a rain. To make the crank out work better, I rubbed a little bearing grease into the track that the arms run in; wiped off the excess; and then, cranked it in and out a couple times. It works much better now. :thumbsup:

How will you secure the window closed when the air conditioner isn't there or will the AC unit always be there? Is it easy to put the arms back in the track?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Sharon and thanks. Yes those windows are sold by a few different places.
Right, the little arms go right back in the track so the window can be secured and closed that way. I'll only take the a/c when needed. It is good to have another window. With the two doors, two windows on the sidewall, and the vent fan this new window makes six points of air ventilation and light.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi all,
I will post some pics and detail of the completion of the interior skinning a bit later.
for now a question: the top from front to rear will be aluminum skin .040, but the sidewalls are plywood that I want to paint. What is a recommended way of water sealing and painting the ply exterior sidewalls?
I have seen folks use regular exterior oil based primer and paint and others use epoxy sealer followed by exterior (oil based?0 paint.
what do you think?
also what is the best way to water seal the plywood edge? it will ultimately be under the aluminum, and the edging but i'd like to water-seal it anyway.
thanks in advance!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby steve cowan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:43 pm

There is a sticky topic in the "foamie" section called [waterproofing your wood] that goes into a lot of detail about this.I would think after saturating the plywood with the "mix" that a good oil base enamel would last a long time.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:57 pm

steve cowan wrote:There is a sticky topic in the "foamie" section called [waterproofing your wood] that goes into a lot of detail about this.I would think after saturating the plywood with the "mix" that a good oil base enamel would last a long time.

Hi Steve. is the mix: 75% paint thinner and 25% polyurethane? I see someone indicated 1 gallon of mineral spirits and 1 quart varnish. can i use thompsons water seal..is it the same thing?
for the plywood edge i'd liek to make it hard non-porous seal...so i am thinking epoxy.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:28 pm

I don't think you can paint over thompsons water seal with anything. But check it out first.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 pm

My mother has been a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports. When they were having to redo their deck for the second or third time, Consumer Reports did a test/review of deck sealers, and the most well known brand that everyone trusts, yes Thompson's, scored the worst.

Not my personal experience. I've never used their products, but this memory has always stuck with me. Just saying. (The obvious question is, which brand scored the highest? Sorry, that piece of info wasn't what stood out for me, so I don't recall.)

But what I have learned is just because a company spends a lot of money on advertising and have flooded the market, doesn't mean that they have the best product. (DR mowers are another example, their ads are everywhere and their products are usually under engineered, IMO.)

For painted plywood many have been disappointed when after a short period the paint splits (actually, the wood splits under the paint) and the deterioration begins. Granted this is most common on bent wood that is under stress. The problem is that the wood fibers are only strong in the long direction, and don't hold together side by side that well. The solution is to reinforce the fibers across the grain using other fibers; such as cotton canvas saturated in glue and paint, or fiberglass cloth saturated in epoxy (or perhaps polyester if you aren't going to be working near any foam insulation... polyester resin eats foam).

Then paint.

Other opinions may vary, plenty of people have gotten useful service lives out of plain painted plywood, but weather conditions vary across the land, so take that into consideration, too.
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 am

KCStudly wrote:My mother has been a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports. When they were having to redo their deck for the second or third time, Consumer Reports did a test/review of deck sealers, and the most well known brand that everyone trusts, yes Thompson's, scored the worst.

Not my personal experience. I've never used their products, but this memory has always stuck with me. Just saying. (The obvious question is, which brand scored the highest? Sorry, that piece of info wasn't what stood out for me, so I don't recall.)

But what I have learned is just because a company spends a lot of money on advertising and have flooded the market, doesn't mean that they have the best product. (DR mowers are another example, their ads are everywhere and their products are usually under engineered, IMO.)

For painted plywood many have been disappointed when after a short period the paint splits (actually, the wood splits under the paint) and the deterioration begins. Granted this is most common on bent wood that is under stress. The problem is that the wood fibers are only strong in the long direction, and don't hold together side by side that well. The solution is to reinforce the fibers across the grain using other fivers; such as cotton canvas saturated in glue and paint, or fiberglass cloth saturated in epoxy (or perhaps polyester if you aren't going to be working near any foam insulation... polyester resin eats foam).

Then paint.

Other opinions may vary, plenty people have gotten useful service lives out of plain painted plywood, but weather conditions vary across the land, so take that into consideration, too.

Thanks KC, as always!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 pm

I finished the interior skin, electrical, bunk and front shelf. The skin is 3 mm birch. Front to rear roof used four panels that are cut to 56.75 wide. 3 are 60 long and one 50 long. I had done the sidewall skins earlier. They are secured with 1/2 inch screws. I didn't glue since I may want access to wiring later. The bunk is built out of 2x2 screwed through the inner framing and into the exterior ply. There is 1/2 ply laid on top of and screwed into the 2x2. For the electric there are five loads: vent fan, cabin light, reading light, USB port with rocker switch, and 12 volt cigarette lighter style outlet. I bought a group 27 deep cycle battery. It is sealed led acid maitenance free am has about 105 amp hours when fully charged. The front wall shelf holds the fuse box. It has a negative bus bar on it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.64 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (159.7 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 pm

I also painted the interior. The girls each picked there own bunk colors and helped paint. They already love spending time in the camper! The pic of the fuse box doesn't show finished work.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 pm

The bunk are 38" wide, so to accommodate the width of a twins mattress. I bought two twin size 3" foam pads and will cut their length to 57". The diagonal created is 68" so I think the bunk will accommodate my young ones for several years.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 am

Painted the exterior sidewalls. I used oil based primer and rust oleum oil based paint. It was a beats to work with the oil based paint. It is very thick so it am sure it will create a very protective shell. I put on four coats using a pro sprayer I rented from Home Depot. In hindsight I would have just used a good bristle brush. I primed and painted the top edge of the sidewalls for water proofing and protection.
I also carpeted inside. I used a carpet pad and indoor/outdoor carpet that I cut to fit. It warms up the interior and is very comfortable.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.23 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 pm

I've been gone for a couple weeks and it looks like I missed a lot on your build! You've been busy!
I like the idea of letting the girls pick their colors and help with the painting. They'll remember this project their entire lives. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals