Jeremy from Janesville, WI Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jeremy from Janesville, WI Build Journal

Postby 5speedsoffury » Wed May 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi all!

My order of lights came in for the trailer! I now have 4 interior lights for the cabin, 4 side markers and 2 stop turn tail reverse combo lamps. I also picked up 2 black plastic 3" hole side vents.

I think 4 interior lights should be sufficient and plan to mount them in the ceiling so this makes wiring simpler. the only other lighting would possibly be 2 reading lights and I am on the fence about this. I may just pick up a couple more of the lights I ordered in and mount them lower and on a separate switch on either side of the cabin.

I need to get the interior wiring wrapped up in the walls so I can get the outside skin on. As far as the sides go I am looking into painting them. I would like some input on techniques that work the best. I know I don't want to have to worry about constant maintenance and the thought of moisture getting trapped in the wood. I could stain the sides too like the Wyoming Woody and do the fiberglass over that. Would it be best to fiberglass and then paint the sides? What paint is the best to use over fiberglass?

Thank you!

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:49 am

Hi all,

I figured I would give a short update. The wife and I are moving soon and the wife is fulfilling her unpaid internship so the progress on the teardrop has been slowed to a halt. I am excited for a 2 car garage and two incomes come August. I hope to make major progress this fall/winter with the extra room and income. I am keeping things in their current state as it will be easy to tow when the moving day comes.

I had hoped to be further along with this process but life happens and money fuels this hobby as well as time. Neither of which I have had a lot of lately. I feel as it is time to do some more reading on the forum. I have not been doing this as much lately as I have been focused on moving and looking forward to the future!

Thank you all for patiently waiting as I know at least a couple of you are watching the build progress!

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Good luck with the move. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 pm

pchast wrote:Good luck with the move. :D

Thank you! I am so excited! I have been collecting boxes and today I taped them all up. I am so tempted to start packing! I think the wife might get a little irritated though :frightened:

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 5speedsoffury » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 pm

pchast wrote:Good luck with the move. :D

Thank you! I am so excited! I have been collecting boxes and today I taped them all up. I am so tempted to start packing! I think the wife might get a little irritated though :frightened:

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Jeremy from Junction City, WI Build Journal

Postby 5speedsoffury » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi all!

Just to update the followers here. I moved 2 weeks ago and it has been a whirlwind of crazy wild fun! I have upgraded my living standards but all also my living upkeep. I am now renting a house out in the country with the wife. We are starting to work with the landlord to get the place back up to snuff on the outside as well as the inside. Luckily they have been great to us so far. I am going to be painting the garage interior a primer of Kiltz oil based primer then following that up with a semi gloss white latex paint. That will sure brighten up the walls from the dreary osb appearance! I am also working on the trees, huge deck and house siding ( pressure washing the both and repairing/refinishing the deck) plus repairing an old Massey 7 lawn tractor.

Where does that put me you ask? Well no progress on the teardrop other than I towed the trailer with my giant workbench and the sides with all kinds of lumber on it to where we now live. I packed the wheel bearings both inside and out with new high quality bearing grease and cleaned the old stuff all out. It towed nice other than it was a bumpy ride so the wife was a little sea sick :? By the time we made it to our new home. That will be the heaviest tow that the trailer will ever have because my workbench plus all the wood is super heavy, more so than the teardrop and gear could even think of being.

I hope now that with the two incomes that come winter I will be able to hash out and finish up the trailer but for right now the priorities are killing all progress on the trailer. I will complete it but it's going to take its own set of devotion and lots of time. Till then I will drop by and maybe post a little but be patient as I hope to have good news relatively soon!

Till the next time
Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Moved back to Janesville

Postby 5speedsoffury » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi all!

I am moved back to Janesville, WI! Central Wisconsin has not panned out as well as planned. Job opportunities for my lovely wife have been bleak and now with her Master's Degree complete she needs hours. Luckily she has found a place to get those hours but that means it is back to Janesville for us. I have found a nice place to rent but unfortunately I am going from a two car garage to a roomy 1 car garage. I do have a large basement to use though and that is very encouraging as that is heated and cooled :D

I have not made a bit of progress on the trailer. I know, I know I need to get the ball rolling again. Luckily I got a few new tools to hopefully get the fire back under me. I also have eliminated one of my projects for now and plan to get back to that later on. For now my efforts are all on the trailer either directly or indirectly. I want to get the walls figured out and finished up. I also have decided that I want rebuild the floor. I have had to use it a few times for hauling appliances and unfortunately the top has some bad water damage. I really like the idea of building the shell off of the trailer and then bolting the roughed in shell down to the trailer. It seems much more appealing than building on the trailer. This method would also allow me the freedom to keep the trailer out of the way and also use it for material hauling purposes. I will explore this idea more as I get time. I would appreciate some input on it though since I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this. I figured I should at least drop in and give an update. Unfortunately it has been a struggle but hopefully with time and persistence things will improve. Looking back I hate to regret but I wish I would have saved up plenty of money and materials before taking the plunge. I am not going to give up now or fret too much it just sucks being stuck at this point for way too long. Hopefully soon I will have some valuable info and some pictures of progress.

Thanks for following along,

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals