First build "Rocinante"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Looking good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Finally, some visible progress after all the tedious staining and varnish work.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EastTex » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
EastTex
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 pm

I concur, looks really great! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm sure it's a common question, answered many times. I apologize for that. My searches did not render the question/answer I was seeking. I've decided to abandon the woody sides and skin in aluminum entirely. I want to seal the wood before skinning in aluminum. I know epoxy or CPES is a preferred method, but how about "the mix"? any success stories using it under aluminum? Being diluted, it should have decent penetration. If I do go with CPES, what options are there in filling the screw holes and plywood seams?

Unfortunately, my build has slowed due to my work schedule changing to overnight shift. Using the peel and stick tile produced mixed results already. On the front lip of the counter, the vertical pieces are beginning to fall off. I guess the adhesive isn't strong enough or too flexible for a vertical application. I will be trying some contact cement using the same pieces before I resort to plan C, whatever that may be.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 am

Today I ordered all the aluminum trim from Frank. I ended up opting for CPES under the aluminum. I read on the forum that drywall mud/filler should work fine when applied before CPES so that's what I'm going with. I ordered the 2 quart CPES kit, hoping it's enough. Anyone care to share their experience in quantities used?

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 am

I also got the exterior underlayer on, and framed out the gallery hatch. I'll be adding two more horizontal spars to each side. I'll sheath the hatch with FRP to help prevent springback, which will be covered in aluminum. The sheet aluminum should be the last major expense, and I'll be doing locally for it this week.

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:34 pm

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Looks great! Loving that countertop! :applause:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:48 pm

:thumbsup: The cupboards and galley are looking good!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby HarleyCamper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks for the compliments. I still have to get some contact cement for the front edge of the counter. The peel and stick linoleum tile I used isn't holding well enough on the vertical edge. It is holding well so far where I used it as backsplash along the walls. It was kind of a eureka moment when I was looking at formica, and how quickly that would have gotten expensive.

I'm glad I had the foresight to start this thread as by first build, as I'm bitten by the bug and keep having ideas for the next one, even the next two. Maybe I can convince a couple of friends to help them build theirs since I can only sleep in one camper at a time.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Spent today at the DMV. :x Went in with MSO, receipts for the trailer and building supplies and waited...and waited... :frightened:
Said I needed to get the MSO signed by the manager at NT, fill out an Affidavit, a reconstruction statement, and a new VIN would be issued. :roll:
Not sure why a new VIN would need to be issued since the trailer had one. Anywho, got back to NT who didn't want to touch it because I ordered the trailer online, but convinced them to do so since I picked up the delivery from their store. Back to DMV and waited...and waited... and got my tag! Then I got home and my extruded aluminum trim and galley hinge was sitting in my driveway from UPS. :applause:
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Getting excited to finish up. Coated with CPES before I head to work tonight. On the way home in the morning I'll order my sheet aluminum. Hoping to finish on my next weekend off.

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toconnor602 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am

HarleyCamper wrote:Getting excited to finish up. Coated with CPES before I head to work tonight. On the way home in the morning I'll order my sheet aluminum. Hoping to finish on my next weekend off.

I found this company that sells 5x10 sheets of aluminum. Not sure if you already found a source...if so, please share

http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sites/www. ... _chart.pdf
toconnor602
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 am

I got a quote from Ryersons who is happy to take my money in exchange for a product, but no more. No help with suggestions their products, etc so I'm on my own in that department. Is 3003 (H14) .040 good to use?

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals