Inspection in WA and L&I requirements

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Inspection in WA and L&I requirements

Postby RetchedOne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:23 am

So i was planning on buying a new 6'6"x12' trailer in January and building my trailer on it. Then I found a local guy who parts our motorhomes/trailers and has what I need for much cheaper, granted it is older and used but I'm not too concerned about that. I know how to inspect bearings, grease/fix etc. It does have a title so that is a plus as well.

Given the fact that it will be a trailer becoming a travel trailer, I will need to get it inspected and probably a new title issued... Ok...
On the WSP site they say one requirement is to get it inspected by L & I

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/170_129.pdf
http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/che ... ehicle.pdf
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=296-150R

But what is L & I inspecting? Will it be like a home inspection, where they want to see the electrical, plumbing, propane etc?
Before walls are sealed, pipes wrapped?
The L & I site talks about needing approved plans...???

Am I better off NOT adding my stove till after the inspection?
Same with the water heater/tank/pump/sink?

I thought it would be fairly straight forward, but looking at the L & I website was a bit frustrating with lack of what that want to see, and when they want to see it.

So, What will L & I want to see if I have water heater/propane/electrical on a home built travel trailer?
DO they need to see stuff prior to being sealed up, or just make sure the "guts" are visible?

I've plummed/wired additions on housees so not concerned abotu doign it correctly, just dont want a "rip it apart so we can see it" mess on my hands.

Thanks in advance!
RetchedOne
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Inspection in WA and L&I requirements

Postby RetchedOne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:54 am

Maybe this is the way to go... ?

Main registration -
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=43004
RetchedOne
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:15 pm

I see your address is Marysville, I would stop by the State Patrol office just west of Donna's Truck Stop on 116th north of Marysville and see if they have any info you could use. You also may be able to find out some info on the "Access Washington" website. When I bought(had it built in 2012) my teardrop in Oregon and got it licensed here, they told me being the trailer base was built on/by a certified trailer builder it was fine and no inspection was required and they licensed it with no problem being it had all the proper certification labels/stamps on it's frame. Just paid for the license tabs along with the sales tax being it came in from another state (and yes before I went down and picked it up in Oregon, I also went to the State Patrol asking questions first being I had heard so much about them inspecting trailers)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby RetchedOne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 pm

gudmund wrote:I see your address is Marysville, I would stop by the State Patrol office just west of Donna's Truck Stop on 116th north of Marysville and see if they have any info you could use. You also may be able to find out some info on the "Access Washington" website. When I bought(had it built in 2012) my teardrop in Oregon and got it licensed here, they told me being the trailer base was built on/by a certified trailer builder it was fine and no inspection was required and they licensed it with no problem being it had all the proper certification labels/stamps on it's frame. Just paid for the license tabs along with the sales tax being it came in from another state (and yes before I went down and picked it up in Oregon, I also went to the State Patrol asking questions first being I had heard so much about them inspecting trailers)

I'm about 2 miles from Donnas, east side of I-5. I'll stop in and ask some questions after work one day.
I'm most concerned about the L & I inspection (if needed), it's not clear what they need to see; Perhaps they can clarify that for me.
RetchedOne
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Old Coyote » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Check the thread Danny wrote about Wa State reg requiements at top of this group under announcments.
Herb
Old Coyote
Teardrop Builder

Postby Skammers » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 pm

There is an easier way.

Build the basic trailer with finders, floor and tail lights. Gather up recipes and have it inspected, if required. Then a new title will arrive stating you have a trailer. Go and licence your trailer.

End of story, build what you want on the trailer, as far as any regulatory concern, there are none or ever will be.

It’s just a trailer, no drama.
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Skammers wrote:There is an easier way.

Build the basic trailer with finders, floor and tail lights. Gather up recipes and have it inspected, if required. Then a new title will arrive stating you have a trailer. Go and licence your trailer.

End of story, build what you want on the trailer, as far as any regulatory concern, there are none or ever will be.

It’s just a trailer, no drama.

I posted this in 2012 in this sticky.
They have dropped the "Travel" in the description since it doesn't have a bathroom so it's just a "Tear Drop Trailer"
The word travel costs $15 more per year for dump stations in Washington State.
:D Danny

Today I had my #4 teardrop inspected by the Washington State Patrol in Tacoma.
First off the officer who did the inspection loves teardrops and had to have the whole tour, the other officers joined in.
He started his inspection and noted it was a Teardrop Travel Trailer.
I asked why not a utility trailer as before and he said I couldn't haul gravel in it and it could only sleep two & it has a clam shell hatch in back so it's a Teardrop Travel Trailer

During his inspection I asked what the state considered a utility trailer converted into a teardrop.
He said that it's no longer a utility trailer but a teardrop travel trailer and if an officer ran the plates and found it was different he'd run the risk of a ticket and a required inspection.
He said it comes under a different classification and needs to be changed to the new classification.
He also noted your insurance would only cover a utility trailer if someone was to rear end you.
On my registration is states Ser/Body as 14/TEAR , make as HMDE & use as TLR.
He shook my hand and said they would be here for my next one. :thumbsup:
Finally we have some respect and a classification of our own. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Vedette » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:16 am

Thanks for sharing that Danny
So Glad to hear Washington State is making it easy for the honest people that are doing a good job of building trailers that will pass inspection :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:51 am

Government can be a pain in the butt. I've gone through it with two teardrops in Idaho and this is what they are looking for:

1. A check for the sales tax on items purchased out of state. (Wouldn't you know...)
2. Is the trailer stolen and is this registration process an attempt to launder it?
3. Were stolen parts used? (The same inspectors here inspect the parts-built semi-trucks and apparently that's been a problem)

I can whine about the sales tax, but the checking to make sure it's not a stolen teardrop... not so much.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:04 pm

when I bought and licensed mine in 2012 I got stuck with the RV/travel trailer license which included the extra fee for the dumping station and the "large" car sized license plate. Just over $40 for tabs each year. Middle of last year after replacing the tail-lites with 28 Model A ones I went in and found out I could now get the smaller license plate. So after re-doing the title being it does not have a stove/water tank-sink or toilet in it along with state law stating that RV vehicles weight 2000 + lbs. It now says on the reg. that it is a teardrop and the tabs now are (for now anyway-being the $$ is always going UP!!) under $30 per year now.
gudmund
500 Club

Return to North West