Some painting ideas !

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Some painting ideas !

Postby An Ol Timer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:27 pm

I am submitting the following url from a boating site. I use a lot of the info myself but I don't make any reccomendations to anyone else. A painted teardrop and a boat that is put in the water only during use have a lot in common. Both see some water and a lot of sunshine. They share the need for protection from both.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:45 pm

...interesting food for thought, OT...thanks.......................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sunny16 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Great.....and I just painted my trailer with OIL BASE PRIMER! No what do I do??? I guess I will just paint it with oil base exterior paint like I was going to do. :cry: :cry:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby rainjer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:35 pm

sunny16 wrote:Great.....and I just painted my trailer with OIL BASE PRIMER! No what do I do??? I guess I will just paint it with oil base exterior paint like I was going to do. :cry: :cry:

If you want to use latex paint, there is not problem going over oil primer with latek paint.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby jplock » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:50 pm

My father in law has been a carpenter and cabinet maker 50 years +. He recomends using oil base primer thinned with paint thinner as a base coat (being thinner it soaks into the wood better), and the top coats with a good latex paint. So you should have no problem. I have used this method on my house. I will do the same on my teardrop. I think I will go with this first to see how it lasts, then maybe put aluminum on later.

jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby EZ » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 am

Ol Timer, I posted a link to the same article a few months ago

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=6870&highlight=

I really believe that latex paint can be used as a final finish on these campers, but only time will tell. I am coating my camper in epoxy and painting with latex primer and color coats exactly as I did on the cheap lauan sailboat I built. Just remember to wash off the blush from the epoxy and scuff sand a little before painting. As was mentioned, if it doesn't work out great you can always cover with aluminum or any of the other materials that folks have used.

I am sanding the outside skin and almost ready for a coat of thinned epoxy. Soon I will know what the finish looks like. How durable it is remains to be seen.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:24 am

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the timely post. I have heard from every lumber dealer in this area that Baltic Birch is not exterior grade.

I plan to epoxy the edges and the roof because it will recieve the brunt of the weather. My house is on it's 16th year of paint and could use trim work.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Great Post Ol' Timer

Postby Guy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Superb post since I am at that stage.

It seems that technology has advanced to question old cliches. I once heard the definition of technology was "something you did not grow up with."
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:41 am

Miriam,

If you are using epoxy for the edges and the roof why not just coat the entire camper? Epoxy mixed about 3/1 with acetone will make a very brushable/rollerable viscosity that will soak into the wood and seal it up tight. My theory is that it also binds the wood fibers to make the ply stronger.

I never tried using a roller, I just use disposable brushes. A light sanding afterwards and you have a very tough and smooth surface to paint. I am coating my entire camper for about $39. Oh, and the $3 can of acetone.....

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Loader » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 am

Ed,

Explain more about your epoxy mix if you would please. I'm very interested, however, not sure I fully understand what you used.

Thanks!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:48 pm

EZ wrote:Miriam,

If you are using epoxy for the edges and the roof why not just coat the entire camper? Epoxy mixed about 3/1 with acetone will make a very brushable/rollerable viscosity that will soak into the wood and seal it up tight. My theory is that it also binds the wood fibers to make the ply stronger.

I never tried using a roller, I just use disposable brushes. A light sanding afterwards and you have a very tough and smooth surface to paint. I am coating my entire camper for about $39. Oh, and the $3 can of acetone.....

Ed

I rolled my epoxy on without thinning it, West Systems with slow catalyst. I used a roller designed for epoxy, I bought mine at West Marine. After you roll it on, it will have a textured look, just dry brush it with an cheapo foam brush and it will flatten nicely.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby EZ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Earl,

I am using some epoxy that I purchased from Fiberglass Coating Inc (www.FGCI.com). It a 1 to 1 mix that is very easy to use. I am sure other epoxies can be thinned as well, I just happen to find a 1 to 1 ratio easy and I have used this product before with great results.

The epoxy is mixed per the instructions and then a thinner (I use acetone) is mixed in (about 2/1 - 3/1 epoxy to thinner) to make it more easily brushed and also to allow it to better penetrate the wood. When it hardens it is scuff-sanded a little just to roughen up the surface and then painted. This is referred to as encapsulation and is commonly used when building stitch-and-glue boats (although there the boat really is encapsulated, coated inside and out.)

You can also thin the epoxy by heating it but then it doesn't go as far when applying. You can, as Asianflava suggested, skip the thinning and use a less viscous brand of epoxy.

I don't claim to be an expert on this at all. I have used this method before and it worked well and will allow me to really seal the cheap plywood I used for my roof and strengthen it a little as well. Paint really seems to stick to it too.

Hope this helps a little. There seem to be a number of folks on the forum who have used epoxy for one thing or another that probably know more than I do. Also search the web for amateur boat building. This is what works for me and believe me I wouldn't spend the extra $$ if I didn't think it was worth it for longevity and waterproofing.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Because I didn't find epoxy and hardner for $39.00 and didn't know I could cut it with acetone. Thank you
Aunti
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby EZ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Miriam,

I hope you can find the epoxy locally. I couldn't (I admit I didn't look super hard) but at www.fgci.com it was only $39.99. That was shipping included. I think it is enough to coat the whole outside, but I will find out this weekend I hope.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Loader » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:10 am

Thanks for the details Ed.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Next