Yet more new bikes.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Yet more new bikes.

Postby Fenlason » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:24 am

This bike had a defective brake lever. The piston in one was a little over sized, which caused the brake to stick. It is apparantly a problem they have had [Sram not Surly]. They had no parts for me… :cry: My option was to take a lesser brake. November Foxtrot Whiskey!! Or to wait about 3 weeks for the part. :x

I was thinking about ordering other brakes.. but held off. It's not like I don't have other bikes to ride. :NC :roll:

I received the new lever a day before they told me they would receive them. :thumbsup: We have been super busy.. and I didn't get to it right away… and sometimes changing out the parts and re-bleeding the brakes can be a pain. Well I did do it yesterday, and it wasn't that bad at all.

I also did order a fork for it yesterday. I was hoping to be able to switch back and forth easily from fork to fork…but that won't be the case. For I needed a different headset for the new one. [I was hoping for just a spare crown race.]

I am hoping the Ice Cream Truck will become my go to snow bike. In the past I used my Pugsly [4" tire on an 82mm rim] and I ran my Moonlander when the snow was softer. [5" tire on a 100mm rim.] I plan to get a set of 5" studded tires… and maybe lighten the bike a little… and use it for most of my winter riding. Then set up the Moonlander with flat pedals and the lou and Bud tires for when it is really tough going. I use step-ins for most of my winter riding, but there are conditions when flats do work better.
The Moonlander always seems slow. It's frame isn't super stiff.. it's fairly heavy.. and the Lou and Bud are super aggressive. While the ICT is the same 5" tires.. it is a little lighter… and much stiffer and efficient. It's handling is also way different. The 5" studded tires are less aggressive.. so hopefully it will work great for the majority of my winter riding. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: Yet more new bikes.

Postby Fenlason » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:06 pm

I did some further research on the headset issues, and I can just add another crown race. Surly and Cane Creek worked together so this is an easy switch. My order had already been released.. so I still got my headset. It's not really work sending back, I will need another at some point. :shrug:

I have my fork installed and got a little ride on it so far. I think it's going to be pretty sweet. It might take a little time to get it set up just like I want it. Last night's ride the rebound dampening was a little too fast. In real technical stuff a fork can often be a pain.. but I have to say what I rode last night I liked it.

I have wondered about going back a little shorter on the stem.. and a little wider on the bars.. but last night riding.. it seemed pretty good.

I am not sure what I want for a seat post yet… a lighter weight set back post? A suspension post? .. or a dropper post?
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Previous

Return to Bicycles