your camp stove of choice.........

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: your camp stove of choice.........

Postby CynJ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:39 am

I'm really leery about white gas- always have been. I like cooking on propane stoves and grills. But I'm also a big fan of alcohol stoves (backpacking holdover) - my Trangia 25 never lets me down and the fuel (I use Home Depot denatured alcohol) is cheap, easy to get/find, and really easy to store and carry. I sometimes feel guilty about lighting a propane grill just for me if I'm solo camping, it seems like a bad use of propane. Ethanol is a renewable fuel and I can use really small amounts to accomplish my cooking needs.
~CynJ
CynJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby booyah » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

We opt for the good old propane green coleman.

Its worked well for us, I carry a known full bottle, plus any number of known questionable bottles. burn through the questionables, and if I have to get into the full, it becomes a questionable for next time :-)

For backpacking, I have white gas stoves I love, butane/propane mix (both gas and siphon) and alcohol stoves. I used to use white gas for car camping, but since i actually run my stove under my hatch, I fear a flare up and what it could do. Probably being overly cautious though.

The propane bottles are nice though as they also work on a portable grill, incase I want to do brats, chicken, or anything else on that.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby 2leadfeet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 pm

I prefer propane and my Camp Chef pro-60. I did the white gas thing, but ended up with flames up my arm, and a burning can that got tossed into the woods. More on that story later if you'd like.
I'd rather be camping.
2leadfeet
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:07 pm

:frightened:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 pm

So a skydiver jumps out of the airplane over a campground, and the 'chute won't open. As he's falling toward certain doom, there's an explosion below. Coming up at him is an unhappy camper, on fire.

"Hey," he shouts, "do you know anything about parachutes?"

"No," yells the camper. "Do you know anything about Coleman stoves?"
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby arbakken » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 am

I generally prefer gas. The little MSR backpacking stove I've been using lately runs off white gas, kerosene, or unleaded gasoline. Since I ran out of white gas, I've just been using unleaded.

For a camper where you can use a big bottle, propane is the way to go. If you're going to carry it, gas so you can top it off before each journey.
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 am

I've used a couple Coleman stoves and some Camp Chef stoves. Between the two brands, I prefer Camp Chef, but either works. I wouldn't buy anything with less than two burners and 8,000 BTU's per burner, though! I know white gas performs better, but I love the 24/7 access to propane tanks around the country.

Unless ... hehe ... well, if you're not into gourmet cooking and you only travel solo or with a close companion, have you used the soda can stove. Check it out here:

http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol- ... build.html

Burns cheap, clean denatured alcohol. Takes 15 minutes to build, lasts for months, weighs less a couple of quarters and will bring a pot of beans to boiling at 10,000 feet. Not exactly "glamping," but for the price, you can't beat it! 8)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets