Using campground shower/bath house...tips

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Using campground shower/bath house...tips

Postby deleted » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:27 pm

One could sew a loop but even easier, I add a safety pin attached to a pony tail elastic band to the center of one edge of my bath towel. The loop acts as a much more secure way to hook the towel to the clothes hook with your shower tote/bag to keep it from accidentally falling to the ground.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:09 am

dexstrom wrote:I also use the over the door hook and carry liquid soap and shampoo in a Showerline Shower caddy, much easier than bar soap and large shampoo bottles.
https://tinyurl.com/hpy4l6y

I've never seen that one before. Very cool!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:13 am

SO many great ideas! I think I'm going to fasten a large grommet to one end of my drying towels. I'll take a picture once I've done it. Wheels are spinning in my brain! :twisted:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 am

Rick Tyler wrote:The suggestion about towels is a good one -- I switched to nearly-threadbare cotton towels which dry quickly. I've never gotten used to the polyester ("microfiber") towels. Do not go camping with thick, luxurious towels, as they take up too much room and take forever to dry.

At some point I picked up two very inexpensive (okay, cheap) towels at Target. They are quite a bit smaller than our standard fluffy bath towels, probably have a small amount of synthetic fiber and not so many loops. They dry me off quickly (more quickly than big fluffy towels), dry quickly after I hang them up, and take up so much less time to dry in a dryer. I use them at home and camping. (DH still prefers the standard fluffy towel at home, but for camping, it's the lighter, smaller towel for the win). Microfiber never seems to soak up water as quickly.

For shower kit, I use the L.L. Bean personal organizer bag (toiletry kit), that has a hook that can hang over a shower curtain, over a clothes hook, over a towel bar, good for camping bathrooms and motel rooms. All of your stuff is right there and zips closed when you're done. They come in sizes from small to family (cavernous). Link to medium size here.

I worry more about catching an illness from the handle of a shopping cart or door to a store than a public toilet seat. Quick swipe of the toilet seat with TP if feeling particularly fastidious (or not) and I'm "good to go".
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:50 pm

My tote is a 4 or 5 qt plastic bucket. You can set it on a wet floor or bench and it won't soak up the water or get dirty.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 am

I was going to say a quick dry towel and a place for my stuff, but you guys hit and I would say what I learned out of this is the BYO-HOOK is a great idea because I am forever trying to stack my jeans, shirt and goodie bag on top of each other. I do like the travel soap dishes, they work well. Some campgrounds have unisex full bathrooms where you lock the door and the entire bathroom/shower is yours. In these I have thought about bringing one of those small aluminum folding tables in to put my stuff on.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby jstrubberg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Here's what I've gone to for travel towels. Admittedly I'm not trying to dry shoulder length hair, so some of you more follically endowed folks may have different results, but for me I get dry and the towel itself is usually dry an hour after a shower.

https://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Towel-Travel-Beach-Camping/dp/B01178AUR6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1473798658&sr=8-7&keywords=travel%2Btowel&psc=1

A shower caddy is mandatory. Thanks for the tip on carrying a hook for the back of the stall door. The hooks the campground supplies are usually too close tot he shower. Or maybe I'm just a slob when showering, I dunno...
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:43 pm

lrrowe wrote:Maybe the answer is that we should not shower so much. (Sorry, but couldn't resist this).

That is my philosophy. We just plain shower/bathe to dang much.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:34 pm

I did not really know what category to post this in and this one looks appropriate.

Think of this as an alternative if you need to using a shower.

These large wipes look interesting. A little more expensive for wipes then the smaller ones, but after ready the comments at the lower part of the link, I amconvinced that there just might some times when they would be perfect for the occasion. I am going to order the smallest increment I can and give the, a try. I especially am thinking of use when I am in woods and need to clean up.
https://www.thegrommet.com/epic-wipes?u ... ic-wipes-u
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tsn444 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 pm

This is why I added a shower in our CCT.
tsn444
Teardrop Inspector

Postby honeask » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am

Some good tips and timely, we are leaving on Wednesday morning for a 3 night trip at Lake Fayette. I usually put my clean change of clothes (in order) in a grocery plastic bag and when I shower and change I put the dirty clothes in the bag.We always keep several bags for different uses. We also use the LLBean bag for our shower trips.

Also "I worry more about catching an illness from the handle of a shopping cart or door to a store than a public toilet seat. Quick swipe of the toilet seat with TP if feeling particularly fastidious (or not) and I'm "good to go".

My DH got a foot fungus from a park in LA from a group outing that took over a year to control with two doctor visits so we never shower without flip flops, that was a costly trip.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I got a plastic basket at the dollar store and bought small travel bottles of soap, shampoo, toothbrush in plastic case and toothpaste and put it in the basket. I grab that basket, a towel and clean clothes and head to the shower. I like the basket because it dries quickly if it gets wet. If I'm gone just for the weekend I don't shower until I get home. It's camping!

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby SC Campbell » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:34 am

I bring my shower with me.

http://roadshower.com/

SC
WANTED: '45 Kit Kamper
SC Campbell
500 Club

Postby clip » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:44 am

I use a 1/2 day size backpack not as organized as a tote but I have gotten used to it water proof bottom has a loop to hang and hook for door tops. I can bike to shower or still have both hands free to carry a flashlight or laundry bag, it also expands so she can take her hairdryer etc.also handy for a couple beers and a book if I'm doing laundry at the same time.
read a tip from a guy that uses a sponge to squgee most of the water off but?
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 am

Deleted
Last edited by TimC on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion