Need help fixing leaking hatch hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need help fixing leaking hatch hinge

Postby Erik-the-red » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:08 pm

It doesn't rain much here in Idaho during the summer, except every time I go camping with my teardrop trailer. Aside from tearing the hatch off my teardrop and putting in a different piano hinge, does anyone have an easy fix for me? Perhaps a piece of vinyl riveted over the hinge? Putting an awning over the teardrop only helps when I'm stationary, not driving down the highway.
Erik-the-red
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Erik,

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you now have a piano type hinge installed, is that correct? If so, there's no way it's going to protect you from water infiltration........EVER! There are ways to cover a continuous hinge with rubber, but you'd be better off changing to some other type of hinge. Run a search on "hinge" and you'll find a lot of opinions. Personally, I'm going with a plastic hinge. No water will ever penatrate it! But there are a lot of people using huricane hinges with complete satisfaction. Check around, you have a lot of alternatives.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:10 pm

I had a similar problem with my 49 Kit, about 26 years ago....at the time I had no extra dough, so did a quick fix...cut up a truck innertube and installed it with 2 narrow pieces of aluminum flat stock using silicone as an adhesieve...like 3" total width, and I did trim the rubber off with a razor blade...didn't look so bad...and shot in a bunch of screws, counter sunk into the aluminum...that's the basic technique...but I'm sure you could do it a lot cleaner...anyway...it worked fine...just wasn't real pretty, but then neither was the tear.....don't know if the hinge was an original or not...it had been worked over pretty extensively when I got it....I've learned a lot since then....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby emiller » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 pm

A few of us buy that non skid tape from Home Depot 4" wide and put it over the hinge. It works great.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby MarksMG » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:41 am

I put a piece of inner tube under the hinge on mine and glued it down with contace cement. Glued it to the trailer only not the hinge. No leaks and have been in lots of rain. I have the same luck everytime I get ready to go camping it starts to rain. :thumbdown:
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

Postby Erik-the-red » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 am

emiller wrote:A few of us buy that non skid tape from Home Depot 4" wide and put it over the hinge. It works great.

Are you using the foam-type tape or is it something different?

To answer a previous question: yes, I have a stainless steel piano hinge on the hatch now. Ironically, the place I bought the hinge from said they use it on submarines for storage bays. I hope they don't use the hinge on the outside of the sub!
Erik-the-red
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby emiller » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Erik-the-red wrote:
emiller wrote:A few of us buy that non skid tape from Home Depot 4" wide and put it over the hinge. It works great.

No it's the tape for floors or steps. Ask the person in the paint supplies.

Are you using the foam-type tape or is it something different?

To answer a previous question: yes, I have a stainless steel piano hinge on the hatch now. Ironically, the place I bought the hinge from said they use it on submarines for storage bays. I hope they don't use the hinge on the outside of the sub!
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Piece of tube UNDER the hinge sounds like a great fix.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Endo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:06 pm

I have a stainless steel piano hinge.

I covered it with rubber roofing material held in place with some flat aluminum.

It has never leaked!

It should be a very easy fix.

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:12 pm

just get a hurrican hinge, you cheap #*^&%.. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby swissarmygirl » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Endo wrote:I have a stainless steel piano hinge.

I covered it with rubber roofing material held in place with some flat aluminum.

It has never leaked!

It should be a very easy fix.

That doesn't look half bad! Glad I found this!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:36 pm

Endo,

Where did you get the rubber for your hinge? How wide is it?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Mike, I don't know about Endo but check with most any commercial roofing concern...they should have plenty of left over rubber roofing membrane scraps...should be perfect for this type of application.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dean Williams » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:37 pm

I did similar to what others here have done. I used a piano hinge with a strip of bicycle tube cut the same width as the hinge. I put silicone caulk on both sides of the inner tube and placed it between the hinge and the teardrop.
You couldn't make it leak if you wanted to. Been in two gullywasher rain storms and nary a drop.
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques