How many teardroppers does it take to...

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: How many teardroppers does it take to...

Postby Dale M. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 am

All the objection and counter thoughts to ideas presented indicates to me, that where you want to put trailer is bad idea and maybe a better location needs to be found... If it takes a lot of "just" people power to locate it, them it is most likely to get abandon there because trying to assemble enough people and coordinate effort to move it is probably not going to happen on your scheduled... Sound more like you are boxing it in and making it less accessible for use... Think if its this difficult, better option is to rent a space in local RV storage yard...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 pm

This is a very good point. My friend went to the trouble of putting a steel beam and electric hoist in the loft of his barn so that he could store his motorcycles there. He hasn't ridden any of them since. It has been years. Just wasn't as convenient as it seemed when he had the idea.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:45 am

I'd really like to have the trailer close by, so will try to figure out some way to keep it in the yard. Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll let you know what I figure out.

Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby ArtMini » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:23 pm

catinmoon wrote:...no, not screw in a lightbulb, but I'm open to suggestions on that. I'm asking how many to push a teardrop up a hill.

I just wrote a long post and the draft disappeared. So I'm going to shorten my original post. Basically my ask is:

If I roll my teardrop down a slope to the back of my house, to a patio under a deck, how many people will it take to roll it back to the street so I can hitch it up again?

Approx. 40 feet from the back of the drive to the patio; approx 8feet maybe less in elevation change over that 40' or so.

Do I need a friendly neighbor? or a football team?

Anecdotes? The one time we got in trouble we used a pickup truck to pull the Tear up a slope out of the mud.

thanks
stephanie
A teardrop should be light enough to push yourself. I have to push my canned ham uphill in my driveway all the time to get it out from under the carport.
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:07 am

I am wondering how do you plan to get it safely down the hill in the first place. If it rolls out of control people can get hurt and the tear damaged. Just a thought, maybe I missed this part.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 am

It's really not that big of a drop off, just one that is enough that I want to think it through before I do it. I was hoping to get the TD here before winter, but it now appears it won't be here until spring. So I have a bit more time to contemplate. Another option is to dig into the back retaining wall and create a platform. Maybe better to ask one of my neighbors to store. Thanks for the ideas.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am

I think the first two things to consider would be the tongue weight and the type of wheel on the jack.
Heavy tongue weight and a jack wheel designed for smooth surfaces would be the very first obstacles to overcome.
good luck
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lthomas987 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:49 pm

As a person who parks their trailer occasionally down a pretty good drop in the back yard, I'll give you the answer for my house, your mileage may of course vary. My teardrop is really light, but I can do it with 3 people (more like 2+ a bit). I don't have a jockey wheel up front, but I do have feet on all 4 corners. So I leave the front feet down but not extended. Back feet up. To go down hill hitch first two people hanging onto the tongue end and one behind steering/watching for snags.

To go up hill tongue first we reverse the process a bit. One person holding up the tongue and providing most the motive force. Two people in the back pushing and each watching their side for snags.

Of the people in question *all women) only one is probably as strong as an average man, one has serious lifting restrictions but mostly is there to provide spotting and a wee bit of push force.

If things get out of control we just set it down, since there is no jockey wheel drag stops us quite quickly.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:59 pm

lthomas987 wrote:As a person who parks their trailer occasionally down a pretty good drop in the back yard, I'll give you the answer for my house, your mileage may of course vary. My teardrop is really light, but I can do it with 3 people (more like 2+ a bit). I don't have a jockey wheel up front, but I do have feet on all 4 corners. So I leave the front feet down but not extended. Back feet up. To go down hill hitch first two people hanging onto the tongue end and one behind steering/watching for snags.

To go up hill tongue first we reverse the process a bit. One person holding up the tongue and providing most the motive force. Two people in the back pushing and each watching their side for snags.

Of the people in question *all women) only one is probably as strong as an average man, one has serious lifting restrictions but mostly is there to provide spotting and a wee bit of push force.

If things get out of control we just set it down, since there is no jockey wheel drag stops us quite quickly.

Thanks, this is helpful. Of course I understand it's important to be safe, but I have worked with one other person to maneuver the td out of various places with slope, so appreciate that you have had success with 3. I do have some feet for the back but didn't think of leaving them on while moving. They would do a good job of grabbing the ground if need be.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles