recommendations for a comfortable camp chair...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

recommendations for a comfortable camp chair...

Postby jakofin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

The chairs we have are old and are not very comfortable. I really don't like a bar across under my legs, and most bag chairs are too slouchy and squeeze my legs uncomfortably or my legs dangle...I'm 5'4". And, of course, it would be nice if it wasn't crazy expensive!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Julie
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: recommendations for a comfortable camp chair...

Postby Rick Tyler » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:00 pm

My wife and I just bought new ones last week!

For her: https://www.rei.com/product/847136/rei-camp-x-chair

For me: https://www.rei.com/product/847137/rei-camp-xtra-chair

I'm never buying cheap camp chairs again.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:14 pm

we have two zero gravity chairs, the most comfortable chair I know of for regular old sitting, with the ability to recline like a Lazyboy. I"ve taken many naps in mine by the campfire.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby 3GKnight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Ditto on the gravity chair. They're still not cheap but are cheaper than they used to be. I wanted one years ago but just now got one this year on sale for ~$60.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:17 pm

3GKnight wrote:Ditto on the gravity chair. They're still not cheap but are cheaper than they used to be. I wanted one years ago but just now got one this year on sale for ~$60.

That's what we use too. Besides being expensive, they're heavy and take up a lot of room but...there is nothing like them for comfort.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 pm

aggie79 wrote:
3GKnight wrote:Ditto on the gravity chair. They're still not cheap but are cheaper than they used to be. I wanted one years ago but just now got one this year on sale for ~$60.

That's what we use too. Besides being expensive, they're heavy and take up a lot of room but...there is nothing like them for comfort.

Ditto everything.

I'm cheap. Got the zero lounge chairs from Cabela's before I knew who/what Cabela's is when I was living in San Diego. On sale at about $50 plus shipping.
More than I really wanted to spend, but I did it anyway. That was 5 years ago, and I can honestly say that was a good buy for me.
Great chair and real comfortable. Yup, and heavy.
But we take them with us for very trip. Great chair for kicking back. :D :lol: :thumbsup:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby jakofin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm definitely leaning towards the zero gravity chairs. There are so many brands of them, tho....I'm not sure which one to buy. I think I will go to Cabelas and try theirs out to see if I like them. The brands on Amazon that I am looking at are Best Choice, Caravan, OutSunny, etc. Many of the reviews say these rust quickly and the cording frays and rots. How have yours held up? I plan to keep them inside garage when we are not camping or using them outside.

Thanks, again!
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Camp4Life » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 am

I buy the 4-legged camping chairs. Those chairs with the horizontal bar on the ground are no good on uneven ground where we go. They're more of a "lay by the pool" type of design, and I'd be worried about the stress of bending on uneven ground...

The chairs we get are Woods brand, and depending on sales they're between $60-80.

Here's mine:

And the wife's, with lumbar support:

They're really tough and well built. And they fold up nice into a bag that they come in.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:25 am

We have had it with those awful bag chairs. I restored an old director's chair we had laying around and bought another. Camp fire comfort and fold flat. I also made a beach chair that is surprisingly comfortable. Very light, folds flat but difficult to stand up once you're in it.
Attachments
IMG_20160323_114037.jpg
Nice for sitting in the camper as it is low.
IMG_20160323_114037.jpg (132.83 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Cosmo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:35 pm

I upgraded the chairs from the saggy $10 Dicks sporting goods model that forces you to slouch to this one which has firm no-slouch butt support and back support. The bottom does not sag at all and encourages good posture! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084 ... UTF8&psc=1

-Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:29 pm

That's a nice chair Cosmo. It appears to fold well. Mine are the traditional wood director's chairs like you find at Pier One. They are very comfy portable chairs.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:42 am

bing WOODEN RENDEZVOUS CHAIRS

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=woo ... ORM=HDRSC2

http://www.vcr-inc.com/lc1.htm

the RENDEZVOUS CHAIRS are quite similar to the wooden beach chairs, are DIYable, travel flat and are very comfortable

even a semi talented DIY guy/gal can take some used oak pallets and make them for the price of the screws

if the wooden seat is of concern make/buy a seat cushion

for the vertically challenged, the length of the legs can easily be taylored

for those who want to just buy there are several sites that offer this type of wood products, like

http://www.vcr-inc.com/products.htm

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR QUEST

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 am

I didn't know the chair I built in the picture above was called a rendezvous chair. A couple of hints I can give a builder. The back has to be canvas for comfort. The back should be tall enough for a stretcher across the top or the sides will bend in. Amazingly, this hasn't broken my chair, yet. Oh, the seat needs to be long enough to slouch, some examples shown are too short.

These designs are very comfortable for such a simple chair. I won't hesitate to suggest hobby builders to try this design. A person can knock one of these out easy and fast. I took this chair to a four day, three night motorcycle event and one of the guys was always in this chair. We went camping this weekend and I figured I'd try it. Works great around a campfire! Comfy and low so the smoke isn't as much bother. The big negative is getting out of such a low chair. I need the exercise. :-)
T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby brx017 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:35 am

I don't know if you have them in your area, but I bought my wife and I a pair of zero gravity chairs this Summer at a store called Ollie's Bargain Outlet for $38 each. I have seen them at Big Lot's this year for $40-45 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 am

This has been a great thread. It has me considering improvements to what we bring whereas I probably would not otherwise think about it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion