Electric heater options?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Electric heater options?

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:11 am

A few years back I found a 750 watt personal heater, like the vornado sold at target. On low its about 400 watts. I don't remember if I've used it. What has helped in cold camping (20F) for me was to really warm the interior for an hour before bed. Get everything inside up above 70f. Then turn thing down at bed time. I also hung cheap blankets on the walls, that really reduced the chill and the condensation.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 am

Last year camped at a tearjerker gathering where temperatures were at minus 25. Used a small ceramic heater with auto shut off and it worked very well. We used a foam mattress instead of our regular air mattress and heavy goose down duvet with a quilt over top. Slept very comfortably and never had any issues with being to0 cold or too hot. Ceramic heater took up very little room and and was very cheap(I think 10.00).
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Kayaker1971 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 am

Interesting options. May add a cheap little ceramic for quick heat up and a backup.

As far as condensation, my walls and ceiling are just plywood so there will be some, I planned to have a small vent fan running to reduce that. Besides the hanging blanket idea, do we ventilate with fan during cold weather to remove moisture and how to balance that with the heater?

I'm assuming most times this is at 365 campgrounds that have power?

The IDEAL solution so as not to need 120v would be propane, but have not found a safe small option for that. I saw a VW van with a propane heater underneath and thought that could be something that could go under mine but it looked too complex.
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:11 pm

We had very little condensation but we opened the roof vent a crack. People who were using propane furnaces did have condensation issues(these were tabs) but most tears had no condensation issues with electric heaters as it dries the air. Most propane need a electric to operate the blowers. You can get 12v diesel heates that need little electricity and exhaust to the outside infact the whole thing can be built on the outside in the tongue box. I thought compass rose had one at one time.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Kayaker1971 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info, diesel sounds interesting but propane may be better because can cook with it too. But the main thing is simple and safe which means outside venting obviously (vent a flame heater inside, or "no-vent heater" = die!). A nice outside propane (or diesel unit) wont need 120v power source. I do have a Honda EU2000 generator, which is very quiet but not silent and wouldnt want to drag that on a trip for sure. I dream of making a nice simple mini propane water heater unit on the tongue with a nontoxic propylene glycol coolant loop to a small inside radiator.
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:50 pm

But when you use regulator campgrounds, you are heating your trailer on the campground's dime, not yours. The costs of Using propane come out of your pocket.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Kayaker1971 wrote:Interesting options. May add a cheap little ceramic for quick heat up and a backup.

As far as condensation, my walls and ceiling are just plywood so there will be some, I planned to have a small vent fan running to reduce that. Besides the hanging blanket idea, do we ventilate with fan during cold weather to remove moisture and how to balance that with the heater?

I'm assuming most times this is at 365 campgrounds that have power?

The IDEAL solution so as not to need 120v would be propane, but have not found a safe small option for that. I saw a VW van with a propane heater underneath and thought that could be something that could go under mine but it looked too complex.

My trip with the blankets was a boondocking trip. My TD is far from air-tight, but if water will condense on cold surfaces in higher humidity. The blankets I used were $7 each at walmart, they are double thick "fleece" type blankets. My walls are 3/4 ply, and there there was a clearly a chill coming off of them ( and maybe a draft) without the blankets. With out the blankets, the walls were just a tad damp in the am, with the blankets, they weren't and I think the blankets absorbed the moisture and then dried out during the day. The blankets blocked the chill significantly. My body alone alone would only keep it 5 or 10 degrees warmer inside than out side, but it helped a lot when I pre-heated the place with a coleman infrared heater before I turned in.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:15 am

I just ordered on of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T ... UTF8&psc=1

While I have a hacked propane hot water heater, I plan on using the little AC heater while at 120v sites to either replace or supplement my propane heater....just to save propane. I could also investigate adding an electric element to the Suburban Water Heater.

And I like the electric blanket idea.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby vs800rider » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 pm

I have the little Lasko 200 watt heater and it will only heat things set right next to it. :( After some trial and error I found out I could put this heater in a plastic milk carton laying on it's side at the foot of the bed under the covers and it would keep me warm and toasty all night. I also made a kind of tunnel out of PVC pipe that my blanket goes over and makes a cocoon sleeping area. Now I know what you are thinking.. that doesn't sound too safe. Well I have used it for the last three winters without any problems. I turn the milk crate on it's side and put the soda can laying on it's side at the back (the bottom of the crate) and then put the heater in facing the open end. Then the heater is bungy corded in place so it can't fall over. I run the electric cord out one of the holes in the side of the crate. Then the crate and heater is placed at the foot of the sleeping area with the little pvc pipe thing placed on top of the crate. It should alsp be bungy corded in place. Then everything is covered with an old electric blanket. I use an old electric blanket so the heat from the heater doesn't bother it. Then plug the heater into the power strip and it is ready. If anyone is interested in knowing more about this I'll try to take :pictures: of what it looks like. I say try because my camera sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. :cry:

This is the heater I use. https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyHeat-Personal-Ceramic/dp/B003XDTWN2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1474675200&sr=1-2&keywords=personal+heater
vs800rider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 pm

I also use the Lasko 200 watt heater and think it works just fine - earlier this April in Lakeview, Ore enroute to the Shasta Gathering it got down below 30 (saw 26 degrees or so when we got up in the morning) while we all sat around the firepit staying warm before bedtime, I left the heater on inside my 4x8 and a few hours later when I went to bed it was over 60 inside. It takes up very little storage space when not in use along with being very quite when being used - I love it!! along with it only costing about $10 at W-M. PS tried a 600/900 w = 1500w heat cube before the Lasko and it was just TOO MUCH!! and noisy in such a small space. I just set the Lasko on my shelf and turn it on and leave it, the heater itself never even gets hot being it is only 200 watts - I did shorten the power cord being it was just too long. --- haven't found put any thing about it yet, but there is a little heater being shown on TV lately that maybe of interest - it is called the "Handy Heater" it has no power cord being it just plugs into the wall heater - could be something - will have to check it out.
gudmund
500 Club

Electric heater options?

Postby vincigj » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 am

I to use small personal heater. Honeywell HCE100R Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Red.
At 250watts too much. And if I turn it to low, 175watts, it worked fine in a 4x8 teardrop at 30f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:22 pm

vincigj wrote:I to use small personal heater. Honeywell HCE100R Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Red.
At 250watts too much. And if I turn it to low, 175watts, it worked fine in a 4x8 teardrop at 30f.

Actually really glad to hear this, I was eyeing this one, as a solution to my tear, with a small external thermostat.

I wanted something low enough wattage I can run it off my generator (hf 800w) without worry, but warm enough to make it worth it.
As it is the tear is very well insulated, R5 foam in all the walls, roof and floor, foam mattress, insulated doors, etc. We've camped out in high 30s to low 40s and maintained a decent internal temp (low 60s) with 2 people in side and one window and the roof vent just cracked, but I was worried about bringing it out any cooler.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Not exactly the appropriate reply to your answer, but we use a ceramic heater in the side tent of the teardrop. The heater is set to "low fan speed" and "heat" with the temperature at a comfortable setting. We open the one window that the side tent covers, open the roof vent, and the warmed air drafts naturally through the teardrop. Besides good air flow resulting in no condensation, our porta-potty resides in the side tent so the "late night trips" are comfortable when it is cold outside.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kharn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Electric blanket! One of the first camping trips in our trailer was cold. I bought an electric blanket (twin size) from Target. We put this on top of a sheet. The blanket is set on full before we go to bed so when we get in the camper it is toasty. The blanket is turned way down for sleeping, highest was 3 or 4 with mostly 2 or off. It is also nice just to lay on top with the blanket cooking on ten. :-)

T

I agree, we use an electric blanket without any other heat and have been just fine.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby vincigj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:30 am

booyah wrote:
vincigj wrote:I to use small personal heater. Honeywell HCE100R Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Red.

Actually really glad to hear this, I was eyeing this one, as a solution to my tear, with a small external thermostat.

I wanted something low enough wattage I can run it off my generator (hf 800w) without worry, but warm enough to make it worth it.
As it is the tear is very well insulated, R5 foam in all the walls, roof and floor, foam mattress, insulated doors, etc. We've camped out in high 30s to low 40s and maintained a decent internal temp (low 60s) with 2 people in side and one window and the roof vent just cracked, but I was worried about bringing it out any cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion