New NT Aluminum Trailer Kits

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: New NT Aluminum Trailer Kits

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 am

WizardOfOdds wrote:Very nice job on the frame and floor so far.
The videos are great, very high quality compared to many of thers I have watched.
You might consider posting (video, here or both) where you purchased the tent top.
I know you mentioned it, but some of us see links better than hear names.
Looking forward to your videos as you complete the job.
Thanks for posting.

I agree - very nice construction and well-done informative videos! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I'm always filing things away for another build and had a question about dimensions for the trailer framing. Could you measure the height and width of the tongue rails, side rails, and cross-members please?

Thank you, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Alan_H » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:23 am

Liked and Subscribed!!
I ordered the same trailer. I just haven't put it together yet.
I had mine delivered to the store (free shipping) and my M.C.O. was taped to the inside of the box that the main frame rails, tongue rails and axle was in.
Thanks for the tip on taking the receipt, as I haven't registered mine yet.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Newbie here...

I just received this trailer yesterday from Northern Tool. Got it for a steal at $570.00 delivered. Was going to go with the 4X8 from HF, but decided the extra 75lbs of weight savings with this aluminum trailer was more than worth the extra cost.

I am going to build my very first TearDrop which my wife and I have affectionately named "The Schmidt Haus".

The plan is to end up with the trailer being light enough to tow with my Honda Goldwing, so I am shooting for no more than #650lbs with #75lbs tongue weight. If it ends up being a little too heavy I will be forced to Trike my Goldwing! LOL! 8)

I have been stalking this forum for a while as I tossed around the idea of building my very own Teardrop. I look forward to documenting my progress and getting advice from you all as I start on this adventure.

Cheers,
Schmidtty
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 am

Great sense of humor ("Schmidt House")!

Sounds like you should consider building a foamie as that style of construction has real potential for being light weight.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:02 am

KCStudly wrote:Great sense of humor ("Schmidt House")!

Sounds like you should consider building a foamie as that style of construction has real potential for being light weight.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been reading on this forum over and over not to "overbuild" when constructing a TD. I am contemplating utilizing 1/4" plywood for the sidewalls, with insulation and sandwiched with an inner and outer skin of 1/8". That would give me an estimated wall depth of 1/2" and with all the roof spars, etc., it should remain light and strong enough to handle to winds, etc. while towing. Thoughts? :thinking:

I know it is a find balance between being light enough and strong enough...guess I will try it out and see how strong she is. If it is just too weak I can make thicker walls I guess.

John
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:28 pm

johnnsheilaschmidt wrote:
KCStudly wrote:Great sense of humor ("Schmidt House")!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been reading on this forum over and over not to "overbuild" when constructing a TD. I am contemplating utilizing 1/4" plywood for the sidewalls, with insulation and sandwiched with an inner and outer skin of 1/8". That would give me an estimated wall depth of 1/2" and with all the roof spars, etc., it should remain light and strong enough to handle to winds, etc. while towing. Thoughts? :thinking:

I know it is a find balance between being light enough and strong enough...guess I will try it out and see how strong she is. If it is just too weak I can make thicker walls I guess.

John

The weight is a sum of all parts, so what is the plan for overall dimensions, inside interior etc.? After you have estimated all that weight, you may want to do another iteration of changing the wall design or something else. I think for motorcycle trailer, PMF or epoxy FG foamie build is a reasonable choice, unless you plan to have soft walls/tent. Another step towards being stronger is thin plywood and/or FRP foam sandwich panels, with glues like epoxy of 3m fastbond. Did you see this build of motorcycle FG foam light popup trailer - http://www.goldbrand.info/motorcykelhusvagn2.html ?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:44 pm

That is definitely an interesting build, but I am not experienced with foam and fiberglass application.

I am building on that 4X8 Northern Tool aluminum trailer and sticking to the standard 4X8 footprint.

The plan is to have the following options in it to keep Mama happy:

A/C: Smallest window unit I can find, floormounted into the bulkhead (galley), with bottom drainage/ventilation.
Sink: Small sink with no water tanks permanently mounted. Planning on using 5 gallon water jugs with submersible water pump.
AC/DC power: Two batteries hooked up to power the 12V system which will run LED lights, water pump, and other minor electrical. Will have capability to hook into shore power if available at campground to power A/C.
Propane stove (Coleman Portable) with small 1Lb bottles
Flip down TV/DVD system used in SUV's
Space for a cooler in the galley. Haven't decided if I want to use old faithful ice carrying or go with 12V powered electric cooler
Spare Tire

Of course there is more to it than that, but those are the big ticket items. I think I can keep it within my 650lb weight limit if I pay close attention to the weight of all the wood, etc.

John
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 am

johnnsheilaschmidt wrote:...I am not experienced with foam and fiberglass application.

Didn't stop me! :D ... and I can't claim that anymore! 8)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mike93lx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:51 pm

How are people liking these trailers so far? I am looking at the 5x8 to replace a much larger and heavier steel landscape trailer for general utility use and love the idea of the light weight.
mike93lx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bogo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:51 pm

I'd worry about long term metal fatigue with aluminum. Especially as it looks like they aren't any larger in frame rail size than the steel ones. Fatigue life is aluminum's Achilles heal.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Bogo wrote:I'd worry about long term metal fatigue with aluminum. Especially as it looks like they aren't any larger in frame rail size than the steel ones. Fatigue life is aluminum's Achilles heal.

Whats long term? AIrplanes seem to last a long time. If you build at 65, do you need to worry?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm not sure, but it will be much shorter than steel.

Aircarft are now made with aluminum metal fatigue in mind. Read up on the failures of the early Comet jetliners. Three fell to earth due to metal fatigue long before the expected operational life of the air plane was up.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby SidneyJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and find the aluminum trailers interesting for weight and maintenance reasons. I stumbled upon an article written by Featherlite trailers about the differences in steel and aluminum trailers. http://www.fthr.com/owner-support/trailer-use-and-care/aluminum-trailers-vs-steel-trailers I know they are promoting aluminum trailers (which I'm not BTW, just researching options), but the remarks about aluminum's modulus of elasticity and yield strength make sense. There is also a mention of using Mylar padding to separate the aluminum from steel parts.
Sid
SidneyJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rivernstream » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14 am

5x8 aluminum On sale now for $689 plus another $20 off coupon and free shipping.
5x8 steel currently also on sale $489 but shipping is 196.
I am considering going with the NT 5x8 because its on sale with coupon and free shipping offered, I can get it it for just $3 less than the cost of the steel 5x8 shipped (shipping came out to nearly $200.

Here's another question, since this is a bolt together, would there be an advantage to having it welded? Seems like many here do go ahead and get their Ironton steel trailers welded. Since I am not a steel welder, if I went this route I'd be paying either way and my understanding is that there is not a significant price difference?
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby jered » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

I purchased the aluminum kit for the same reason. Just assembled the frame last week and have to say I am impressed with the value. I used locktite on the bolts and dont plan to have it welded.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Jered
jered
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets