Electric heater options?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Electric heater options?

Postby vincigj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 am

Update. After camping last weekend. Second time using the little heater, at 40/39 degrees it is too much but the answer was to open the vent more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bamaeagle » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 pm

We are looking at this one.............http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Perfor ... /204318371
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!

Bamaeagle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kayaker1971 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Would love an elec blanket but so many Amazon reviews say theyve turned to unreliable Chinese crap like so many other products. Sometimes even burning up.
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

just got one of the "as seen on TV" Handy Heaters yesterday and so far it looks like it maybe my new teardrop heater. The Lasko 200 watt has worked fine but this one has so many more features and if it works? it could be the new replacement! It has NO power cord - plugs directly into the wall. Has a built-in digital thermostat that can be set from 60 to 90 degrees. Has a 12 hour programmable timer that can be set in 1 hour increments for shutting off. 2 speed fan and is rated at 350 watts - should heat the trailer quicker than the 200 watt Lasko! Is nice and small, about 6.25 inches tall - 3.25 wide and 4 inches deep. The cold air draw is thru the bottom than blows the heat out the front. What I really like is the 'not having a power cord' to deal with, just plugging it into the wall and it being held in place by the wall plug - it weighs just a shade under 18 oz.(17.95 oz./508grams on my scale) It also has a ceramic heating element like the Lasko. It's cost is $30. at my local "as seen on TV" store - same $$$ as on TV where it is also being offered with a second one for free, but you have to pay shipping & handling on both. Will be checking and testing it out for the next few weeks and will try to post my views on it's performance later.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Kayaker1971 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

DANGEROUS? just searched out those "handy heater" and amazon has them, but a few reviews are BAD, multiple reviews saying the fan turns off and the element stays on and is a fire hazard! others say that is just an LED glowing so maybe NOT dangerous?

btw my camper has a smoke detector.

https://www.amazon.com/Handy-Heater-AS- ... seen+on+tv
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 pm

it is the on/off switch lite - when on, it lites up the inside of the heater and can be seen thru the front heating grill - the heating element is NOT left on when the fan shuts off. There is NO fire hazard, in fact, I like the idea of it being lite in the dark, it will let me know I have left it on and need to turn it off when I am done using it. I used it for hours and hours today and it seems to be working just fine and am thinking about buying another. It operated just as it was said too. Turned off and on as the temps when up and down inside the trailer along with shutting off totally after setting the shut off timer for the time I set it for shut down. On the low fan setting it is very quiet and even on high it is not that loud. Whether it will work for everyone in a teardrop will depend on you plug-in location inside your trailer - mine is centrally located between my cabinet doors and works fine - I like it so far!! But like I said - there is NO element being left on when the fan shuts down and does NOT overheat!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:41 pm

also, to emphasize what one of the reviews made on-line about this Handy Heater is that it is a "CERAMIC" element and they do NOT glow red when they are heating/HOT. I have about 5 ceramic heaters and have NEVER seen a one with a red glowing hot element when heating - not even in the 2 with the 1500 watt elements when heating. This one (Handy Heater) is only a 350 watt element and my other 2 are the little Lasko 200 watt elements and they both run until they are manually shut off being they have NO thermostat at all and just heat until shut off. At 200/350 watts neither ever get that hot to the touch - not like the 2 1500 watt ones do and they don't even get that hot - not like the 'old wire resistance' glowing red ones do!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby VijayGupta » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Spent most of the last couple of days doing a "big cook" with a couple of crock pots running. I am wondering if simply plugging in a crock pot on high or low would do a decent job heating a small teardrop. Low (223 watts) and High (312 watts).
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 am

it might work?? you may need something to help move the heated air more than just waiting for the hot air to raise. I do use a Davis Air-Dyer 500 in the off season in my teardrop keep dry the inside which is using the same concept as the crock pot would be doing. It is rated at 70 watts and keeps the trailer inside between 50 to 60+ degrees inside day and day out. I use a radio inside/outside thermostat w/humidity gauge so I can keep an eye on the moisture/temp from inside my house. The humidity seems to run between 45 to 65%. It is a heater that just heats using the convection heat rising method with no fan. Time to do some testing in this off-season time of the year - put the crook-pot in and see if it works!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:27 am

and after a nite of thinking about it, the crook pot may not work? being it has a cooking element, it may have a need inside the crook pot for a liquid for cooling in the cooking process. Without a liquid the cooking element may burn up from overheating being there would be nothing to heat/cook inside it - just a thought/re-think on this subject.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby VijayGupta » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:42 am

Solution: Crockpot breakfast?
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Thinking about trying this http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 81c0ee83b1

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:28 pm

the Handy Heater and the Lasko heater are both hot air heaters and are both very QUITE being they are very low wattage heaters and do not need that strong of a fan to operate. I have also found they both work great for just warming up the trailer some time before bed time and when getting in side for bedtime I usually end up shutting it off being my body heat and breathing seem to keep things warm enough when sleeping in such a small place, even it I need to turn it on for some heat, it is not that loud. Now when I first tried using a regular sized 1500 watt heater (Cube Heater) - I agree!! it was just too much!! too noisy and just too HOT!!! just plain "in your face" HOT!!!! even when just using it's lowest setting at 600 watts - noisy and hot!! The Lasko is only 200 watts and the Handy Heater is 350 watts with a 2 speed fan - the low speed on it is about as loud as the single speed setting on the Lasko but even on the Handy Heater's high speed, it is not that loud. So far the Handy Heater is checking out fine with it's heat settings and timer system and I am really liking it!!!! I really like it not having a power cord - just plug it into the wall plug-in socket and it stays in place and being my trailer has a center located wall plug-in between my overhead cabinets, it works fine. The Lasko has a power cord and a shelf is needed to set it on when using it, also it has NO thermostat and has to be shut off when warm enough being it just has a on/off switch, but being it is just 200 watts, it never gets that hot. What is also nice about both of these heaters is that neither take up much space and can be stored away out of the way when traveling - so little space that I have had to try and remember where I had put it last when I wanted now to use it. The Handy Heater is 6 inches tall, 3.25 wide and 4 inches deep with the Lasko being actually just a bit smaller but with a power cord!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby JonchaVilla » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:02 am

I was thinking the heating option in my project and found out the option of using a floor heater. I need to examine this: http://www.ebeco.com/indoor/caravan-underfloor-heating I need to do some research with it :) Anyone got experience about floor heaters?
JonchaVilla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:13 am

A floor heater under a mattress would be insulated enough to be dangerous and ineffective. Try an electric blanket on top of your bed. The surface area is large enough to heat the air as well as warm the bed.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion