Build a mattress

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Build a mattress

Postby Marton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:06 am

Hi,

I love camping :) A TD sounds like a wonderful idea for me. But I'm not a mattress builder and I don't trust myself to build a mattress myself. So what should I get instead? Preferably something I could use for sleeping right under the stars as well.

I like this one but it looks like something to look for for those who have way too much cash, and I'm not one of them. Besides, it's heavy, and I'm not fond of the idea of carrying it if I need that.

Thoughts, anyone?
Marton
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build a mattress

Postby Dan242 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:40 pm

I bought one of these, have used it 3 or 4 times so far in over a year, big step up from vinyl mattresses and very firm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightspeed-Outd ... 41b45a4706
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby Metaman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:14 am

Go for Intex. You won't make a bad choice that way. If you're okay with an air mattress, that is. Some people aren't, I know a guy who hates them says they're too cold. But those things are made for campers, you know. Of course, there are other kinds of portable mattreses out there, air mattresses aren't the only thing suitable for that. But don't recommend them unless you know it works for you. They are heavy and bullky, alhtough, admittedlly, more durable. But you can always get a pair of mattresses instead of just one.

Or, you could use a sleeping bag. Coleman is the best brand making them. They are great for camping, less so for sleeping in an RV.
Metaman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:28 am

After buying a sleep number bed for our home, I would seriously consider buying another for the camper! They are very lightweight and nothing I've tried has been more comfortable. Don't pay thousands of dollars for one, either. We bought one off of Craigslist recently that looks brand new for $450. The mattress deflates and unzips into several pieces, so it would be a breeze to get into the camper.

The only downside is you would have to store the attached pump somewhere.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby kudzu » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:08 am

Marton wrote:I like this one but it looks like something to look for for those who have way too much cash, and I'm not one of them. Besides, it's heavy, and I'm not fond of the idea of carrying it if I need that.

That is an extremely comfortable pad! It's really just a NeoAir with a thin piece of opencell foam on top, stuffed in a cover. If you're not into DIY, it's well worth the price for the comfort. It's also a nice option if you need something that works well in the camper but doubles as a backpacking pad. You just pull the NeoAir portion out & use it on it's own. At 850g, it's not super light but it is very compact & still comfortable.

Our mattress is a hodge podge of bedding. It went through several iterations, but the most comfortable solution is similar to the NeoAir Dream. We have two Therm-a-Rest pads, set side by side, sandwiched between two layers of foam. One Therm-a-Rest is BF's traditional self-inflating style, either a Luxury Map or a Base Camp. The other is my NeoAir Camper. This gives us something that feels very much like the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed we use at home. Actually, all that camper bedding is held together inside the cover from my original Select Comfort mattress that finally started leaking after 25+ years.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 am

I wish I would have seen your post first. I just posted this thread today

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=67411

In which I share a bed selection chart. It doesn't answer every question you might have, but it's a good place to start. Good luck!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby razorback » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 am

Your chart has a lot of valuable information. On that note, who would want a Shikibuton mattress? It says it is "tick-stuffed"! I get enough ticks walking around the camper!
LOL
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:11 am

razorback wrote:Your chart has a lot of valuable information. On that note, who would want a Shikibuton mattress? It says it is "tick-stuffed"! I get enough ticks walking around the camper!
LOL

That .... is a nightmare :lol:

I've walked through tick nests in the woods a few times. Thought a piece of a bark had fallen on my arm; realized it was thousands of seed ticks crawling around a heap. Don't miss those camping experiences!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Idragon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am

I found a beautiful queen sized futon on Craigslist. It was barely used and only as an occasional guest bed. The Wife redid the cover for decor purposes only. Very Comfortable but they are heavy if that is a concern. They do roll up so they are easy to get in and out of the camper for cleaning either.
Idragon
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Camping Secrets