Coleman Stove and Tank Gift

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Coleman Stove and Tank Gift

Postby lrrowe » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 pm

My neighbor today gave me this Coleman Stove and Coleman Propane Tank.

Stove and original Box...looks almost new, but was probably purchased in 1969-1970. In better shape then my regular one I use now.

Stove works

Coleman Propane tank and original Box

Unique Fitting...Just snaps on

And she would not take any money for them. I did some googling on them and was shocked over the eBay prices being asked. The tank is called "rare" and I seen prices ranging from $125 to $229. I cannot in good faith keep them as a gift. I am sure she was not aware of the value. I will go back to her tomorrow and show her the values (that is just the way I am...if it was a flea market find, well that is a different story). I would like to keep them, so I will try to give her something for them.

But I am pretty sure I cannot get the tank refilled (but it still has propane in it....47 years later). I would not think it is a good thing to have it retrofit with recertified plumbing (if possible at all).

What do our Coleman collectors think of this?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Re: Coleman Stove and Tank Gift

Postby swoody126 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:25 am

too special not to put into service in a tiny trailer

have the local lpg folks put a compliant valve on it and use it

GREAT CONVERSATION PIECE!

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby friz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 am

You might want to have that bottle recertified too.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby bobwhite215 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Legally, I don't think it can be filled without being certified. Once it's 12 years old, it needs to be recertified. That certification is good for 5 years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 pm

I am considering to recertify it. I have gone through the process before. I like the recommendations to go ahead and use it rather then let it be a collectors item which just sits there and looks good. To me, it is sort of like finding a 1963 Corvette in "as new" shape and trying to decide whether to save it to look at and show off or just get in it and drive it as much as you please everyday. And can you imagine the attention it would get at our camping gatherings.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 pm

:D Bob, you have a Gem there! I would do the same thing, re-certify the tank, and give some money for it, even if you have to slip an envelop to her! 8)

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks Bob.
Yes, I am kind of glad I have it. It is different for sure. I think I will get it certified and have a new valve added. By the time I am done, I would guess I will have spent more then it would cost to buy a new 20 lb'r. But that is not enough of an issue not to do it, is it?

We bought her a bottle of her favorite wine amd went to offer it back or at least wanted her to take money. But she is a good friend and would not hear about it. So I guess we will find ways to thank her.

Too bad she does not like vension or wild turkey as I am on a roll this year with a doe, 7 ptr and a Tom turkey. And I have 7 weeks to hunt. Oh, and BTW, this Wednesday I am taking the trailer to the National Forest for a week of camping and hunting. I teaching my son and grandson all about hunting. I also get a chance to try out my new awning.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 pm

That is great Bob. Start that family tradition going and bonding. Glad to hear the freezer is stocked.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby RubberGypsy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:33 pm

lrrowe wrote:My neighbor today gave me this Coleman Stove and Coleman Propane Tank.

Stove and original Box...looks almost new, but was probably purchased in 1969-1970. In better shape then my regular one I use now.

Stove works

Coleman Propane tank and original Box

Unique Fitting...Just snaps on

And she would not take any money for them. I did some googling on them and was shocked over the eBay prices being asked. The tank is called "rare" and I seen prices ranging from $125 to $229. I cannot in good faith keep them as a gift. I am sure she was not aware of the value. I will go back to her tomorrow and show her the values (that is just the way I am...if it was a flea market find, well that is a different story). I would like to keep them, so I will try to give her something for them.

But I am pretty sure I cannot get the tank refilled (but it still has propane in it....47 years later). I would not think it is a good thing to have it retrofit with recertified plumbing (if possible at all).

What do our Coleman collectors think of this?

I got one of those little tanks from my father, can't wait to get it recertified, tx for sharing this!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
RubberGypsy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion