Roof edge basics

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Roof edge basics

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:19 pm

I've done a off searching and probably have just not used the right terms.

It seems the extruded aluminum edge, some with vinyl insert, is pretty common and reliable. So:
Do most builders go all the way around, even when it turns under like a new cub shape? Would require sealing to walls and roof of course, a debated point I read.
How do you seal a joint - just a tight butt joint and caulk?
No problem bending to a 24" radius?
Any other more economical options that will perform a similar function people here have used?

Thanks!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Roof edge basics

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 am

I have not used the type with the vinyl insert, but what I do use is dead soft.

I dry fit it (be gentle with a dead-blow or your dent it) and then remove it and lay a fat bead of good sealant on the inside edge of the trim and screw it down. Each screw hole gets a bit of sealant also.

24" curve? I can't say for sure that I've done it but I think it's doable. But maybe I have?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 am

Is dead soft a generic tern for the stuff or a brand name?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 am

And did you avoid joints? The longest I've seen is 12' and pretty sure I'm longer than that - under front "bulge" and back to hatch hinge.

Thanks.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby les45 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:04 am

Mine was a little different with the straight lines of the weekender profile. I used the trim with the vinyl insert. I cut an angled butt joint at each break and used butyl tape under the trim all the way around. The real issue of sealing under the trim is making the skin underneath waterproof at the edge. In my case I used fiberglass tape and epoxy over rounded plywood corner and then lots of paint. Each screw hole for fastening the trim received a drop of silicone since that was the only place that water could get in under the trim.

les45
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:41 am

Is dead soft a generic tern for the stuff or a brand name?

It's the condition. Any trim you buy at a teardrops supply source will come "dead soft."

Joints? I think those that live in larger cities can find the stuff with vinyl trim in lengths to 12' or so. If you have trim shipped, I believe you are limited to 8' strips so on the drops I've built, there's a butt joint. Functionally, it's fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:51 am

QueticoBill wrote:I've done a off searching and probably have just not used the right terms.

It seems the extruded aluminum edge, some with vinyl insert, is pretty common and reliable. So:
Do most builders go all the way around, even when it turns under like a new cub shape? Would require sealing to walls and roof of course, a debated point I read.
How do you seal a joint - just a tight butt joint and caulk?
No problem bending to a 24" radius?
Any other more economical options that will perform a similar function people here have used?

Thanks!

I didn't have economical access to deadsoft aluminum trim (shipping more than doubled the cost and local RV dealer didn't want to take the time to see if he could order it). So, I ordered some cheap aluminum trim from somewhere that was discontinuing the product and learned how to make it deadsoft. There's probably better ways, but, this was successful. About the middle of this page I describe how I did it. I only used this trim around my cabin doors. The rest of the profiles were PMF.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575&start=60
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Try a Rockwell American outlet near you. They sell longer lengths, 12' I think.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SCwood » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:39 pm

noseoil wrote:Try a Rockwell American outlet near you. They sell longer lengths, 12' I think.

True story. I got trim from them in 21' pieces
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:49 pm

I see Rockwell American has some interesting products. CLosest is three hours. I'm thinking about finding plain aluminum angle - like 1/2 x 1 x 1/8 - at a metals place close to me. Two 20' or so pieces would be ideal.

Thanks. They have more than a few interesting products in their catalog.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 am

Bill, make sure it's dead soft stuff, or you will be standing a long time with a bar of soap & a propane torch to heat it up for bending on a radius.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques