teardrop adnesive

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

teardrop adnesive

Postby Roddy Riggs » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:38 pm

Awhile back, someone had a post about how to glue the aluminum to the plywood sides on a teardrop. I believe they mentioned something about a (Henry's) type of adhesive. I know Henry makes roof sealants but is this strictly an adhesive? Thanks, Rod
I've been to three county fairs and a goat roping, but I ain't never seen anything like this!
Roddy Riggs
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 pm

I don't remember "Henry's" but there was some discussion about PL adhesives. This is what I used and it seems to be holding up well over the past 5 years.
:thumbsup: http://www.simplicityboats.com/pl_premium.htm
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:14 pm

I used Henry's. It's outdoor carpet adhesive.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:52 pm

I used Roberts 6700 Indoor/Outdoor carpet adheseive...works around swimming pools...took 1 gallon to cover the top and hatch on a 4'6" x 10'...my Home Depot doesn't have Henry's....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:56 pm

Buy lots of clamps. It took about a week to cure.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby cleave » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:07 pm

I used PL Premium (black tube). i used it on the sides and top. spread it on the aluminum with small notched trowel, let it sit for a few minutes, misted it with water and slapped the side on and clamped it. i left it for a day at the most and then started cutting out the profile and doors. it never budged even with all of the pushing and pulling. it has lasted a year of -40C to +40C and is still holding great. i'm pretty confident it will never let go.

later

Marc
cleave
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Darn, we didn't use anything at all and it is still "holding"...there is always more than one way to skin a cat (and a TD)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Has anyone thought of using Vinyl Tile Adhesive? I just laid a kitchen floor using Tarkett 800. Its a thick white liquid that you trowel on and then wait till it gets clear and VERY tacky. I think it would work well putting al on a tear.

Just a funny moment.. as I was working on the floor, our cat started to walk across and got stuck.. The stuff's like flypaper, I had to help him off.Kind of funny watching him walk around for the next little while with his feet sticking every time he took a step.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mightydog » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Micro469 wrote:Kind of funny watching him walk around for the next little while with his feet sticking every time he took a step.

I'd like to hear what that sounded like!!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tonyj » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:19 pm

madjack wrote:Darn, we didn't use anything at all and it is still "holding"...there is always more than one way to skin a cat (and a TD)
madjack 8)

MJ,
Am I reading this right--you don't use any adhesive to attach the aluminum? Does this mean your attachment is the stapling around the perimeter/doors and the trim attachment? I would love to hear this. I am getting close to putting on the aluminum, and I am really tired of anything that is either goopy or sticky!
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:34 am

Tony, that is correct....there is nothing at all holding the roof on except the edge trim...the sides we tacked a few staples around the edges to hold in place untill the door jambs, top trim and fendersand bottom edge trim were installed to hold it in place...we used to many staples...a half dozen per side (or just 2r3) would have been enough...experimented with a couple of different caulkings/adhesive/sealers on the trim...found that we like the auto windsheild sealant the best...may try Sikaflex225 on the trim next time...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 am

Well, that will certainly give me something to think about until I start putting the al on. It would certainly make repair or replacement easier down the road. Thank you.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 am

MJ,

Put my roof panel on dry this weekend with temporary screws to hold it in place.

It was a chore just getting it to fit and lay flat (working by myself), but I wouldn't have wanted to try to do it with any type of adhesive. I'll do the same on the sides while I figure out the trim and sealer. I might look for windshield adhesive since I haven't located a connection for Sikaflex yet. Thaks for the advice. I'm glad I tried it your way.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:51 am

Tony, the auto windshield adhesive is available thru auto paint suppliers and the SikaFlex can be found at www.austinhardware.com (along with lots of other stuff) click on products>>other fine hardware>>adhesives. They have 221, which comes in black/white/grey and is rated as a sealer and 252, which comes in black/white and is rated as a sealer/adhesive...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques