Best portable BBQ

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:04 am

John,
Do you have that Lodge grill? I have looked at it before and wondered how it would work. I havent used a hibatchi style grill since college. That one from Lodge is heavy (30 lbs) but should be durable and last longer than my childrens lifetime. Its plenty big, I just wasnt sure about performance.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby surveytech » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:46 am

this link sez the Q grill has been discontinued..........

http://www.thane.com/products/houseware ... qgrill.php

wonder why?
looks cool.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:38 pm

IndyTom wrote:John,
Do you have that Lodge grill? I have looked at it before and wondered how it would work. I havent used a hibatchi style grill since college. That one from Lodge is heavy (30 lbs) but should be durable and last longer than my childrens lifetime. Its plenty big, I just wasnt sure about performance.

Tom

No I don't have it... but I want it. I still think barbequeing with charcoal is much better than gas...it just takes too long before the coals are hot enough. We used to have one of the first Hibachis' when I was younger....You know those really thick heavy ones, (not like the cheap crap they sell now) and it worked great. No hot spots,no flare ups, just great even heat. I saw the lodge used on a TV cooking show, and fell in love with it. One day........ ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:07 am

surveytech wrote:this link sez the Q grill has been discontinued..........

http://www.thane.com/products/houseware ... qgrill.php

wonder why?
looks cool.

Walter

Walter, Wow! , I have another "collector's" item. It's a very nice portable grill and it's great for the teardrop. I'm glad I got one before they were discontinued. We'll see them in flea markets soon.
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Juli n Bill » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Since I started this thread I guess I should let everyone know what we finally ended buying. We were wandering through wally world on our way to go camping in Morro Bay when I saw these.... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4231480

It works okay and it's pretty compact, but the best part is it matches our color scheme. :)
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby riverfront » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Juli n Bill

That is the one I got last year on closeout for $20 and we love it!!!

Best inexpensive fold up portable grill ever!!!

We found that after several times of cooking burgers it was best to open up the bottom and wipe out the excess greese with a paper towel to save flare ups!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Fan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:32 am

On the other side of the $ sign, we have the Coleman RoadTrip Grill. It has several options, one of which is the griddle for making pancakes. Yum-O! You can get Aunt Jemima's mix, just add water, shake for 30 seconds and pour. I digress. The grill is easy to set up, take down, and clean. A carry case is also available. Bottom line - best camp grill I have ever used.

:Flippin Burger: :thumbsup:
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:57 pm

I wanted the Lodge Hibachi too and dont mind waiting with :guzzle: waiting for the coals to get white, but alas that Lodge is pricey.......then by chance I found the PIG.... cast iron , definitely a "one off" in camping circles , it came with a grill top , a flat griddle top , and an oval ring that has notches for using shish -ka bob skewers too , It was a Fathers day gift from the wife ( not sure what the message was there :thinking:
here it isImage
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Nytewyng wrote:I wanted the Lodge Hibachi too and dont mind waiting with :guzzle: waiting for the coals to get white, but alas that Lodge is pricey.......then by chance I found the PIG.... cast iron , definitely a "one off" in camping circles , it came with a grill top , a flat griddle top , and an oval ring that has notches for using shish -ka bob skewers too , It was a Fathers day gift from the wife ( not sure what the message was there :thinking:
here it isImage

Oh I gotta get me one of them.... Where did the wife get it??? :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nytewyng » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:27 am

A little shop neqr the house here in PA , but I googled PIG HIBACHI and found it on sale here http://www.sundancecatalog.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=8421
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Grill

Postby Bernoulli » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:28 pm

I've used the lodge grill for years and like it. Two grill heights. Flue. Compact. Heavy. Dirty - needs a carrier. I use real charcoal from a commercial supplier - mesquite in 50 lb sacks. Lights quicker, burns hotter, no additives.
Bernoulli
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roscoe » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:40 am

Micro469 wrote:
IndyTom wrote:John,

Tom

No I don't have it... but I want it. I still think barbequeing with charcoal is much better than gas...it just takes too long before the coals are hot enough.

I don't understand the too long for charcoal phrase. Get one of these and you are in business in no time.
Image[img][/img]
Roscoe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:27 am

That's the same chimney starter that I have. Works like a champ! It holds a whole lot more than my old one.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:46 am

Roscoe wrote:
No I don't have it... but I want it. I still think barbequeing with charcoal is much better than gas...it just takes too long before the coals are hot enough.

I use charcoal for most meals. The chimney starter is relativiley fast and can get you going in te morning by the time you take a shower and get back to the camp site. :oops: :thinking:
The rest of the meals are still on "teardrop time" so the 15-20 minute heat up time doesn't seem to disrupt much of the relaxation time.
I like to use the DO for most (if not all) of the meals at camp so the charcoal is just a matter of getting used to it. :thumbsup: 8)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:00 am

Roscoe wrote:

I used my first bag of the new Kingsford with the grooves in the back this weekend. I have not been a Kingsford fan for a long time, but I have to admit that it did start up much faster. For DO cooking especially, I think I will be using only Kingsford again.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets