New Member and First Time Builder (from CO)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Member and First Time Builder (from CO)

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 am

Hello All! First time builder and I'm going to attempt my build this December and January in Colorado without a garage. I have a few friends who said I can use their garage from time to time so that'll help for painting and finishing. Wish me luck.... please....

I just bought my trailer. My mother's bf was selling his hand built 5x8 for $400 and I couldn't pass up the deal. I like this trailer because it also has ribs for the old walls that I'll use to ensure a secure mount to the trailer. Nobody wants a Teardrop Kite, right?

I'm going to go with the "Rimple" design since it's easiest (i'm told) and also for max headroom with Aerodynamics. LOVE that you all provided the basic build plans for this (and many other) Teardrops! Saved me $20 which we all know will come in handy.

My Modifications: My main mods will be interior. I live in CO and want to be able to use it during the winter without too much heating and layering. So I'm adding 2x2 studs to the walls and insulating it that way (not sure which type yet, suggestions welcomed). The plans on here are for a 5x4, so obviously modifying for a extra foot of width (hooray for space!). My floor is also sunk 5/8" below the frame so that'll help with the space I loose for the insulated floor.

I'd love some ideas and suggestions, all are welcome. Outside of the Rimple plan and the insulated walls, I'm going to wing it as I do with most of my projects.

My 5x8 Trailer (below)
(taking off the side wood panels)
Attachments
CC Trailer.jpg
Trailer Start
CC Trailer.jpg (355.28 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Member and First Time Builder (from CO)

Postby pchast » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Welcome! :D

I'd recommend that you check out foamys..
Those 2x2 studs can add up to a lot of weight. :thinking:

I'm sure, no matter what you decide to do, you can
finish a camp trailer with that to provide your needs.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:59 am

pchast wrote:Welcome! :D

I'd recommend that you check out foamys..
Those 2x2 studs can add up to a lot of weight. :thinking:

I'm sure, no matter what you decide to do, you can
finish a camp trailer with that to provide your needs.

Really? I didn't think they'd add more than 20 lbs at the most.
I haven't heard of a foamy before. Google doesn't show very promising results. Maybe there aren't many posted pics of finished ones on Google.

Since I'm using 2x2 general boards for the ribs and studs, I was thinking that the studs and metal trailer ribs would provide enough support for me to go thinner on the walls. Maybe a 1/4" outer wall and 1/8" inner wall would compensate for the added wall studs?

....now I'm a tad worried. haha
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Sorry to scare you. I didn't mean that.... I'm no expert. I stumbled through
building what works for the two of us..........
:thinking:
But you need to add up all the little bits. I was surprised at the totals. If
you want that 2" of insulation Why not use more foam(insulation) instead
of some of those 2x2's

I've often seen it said that you are not building a weight bearing house but
more like a light airplane.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Camper Tushkeys » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Can't wait to see the finished product.....
Just keep it moving.....
Camper Tushkeys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 am

Hey COCODY. David here.
Don't be afraid to wing it. BUT always dry fit first. That's like measuring twice cutting once. Regarding your insulation question. You can always try to sandwich "R max" insulation between 2sheets of 3/8 plywood. And just make sure your doors and windows are framed with 2x2. For support. Stay away from open cell insulation. It's too dusty. And itchy. :shock:
You have found the right place for information. Good luck and maybe I can see your build when I visit Denver
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 am

pchast wrote:Sorry to scare you. I didn't mean that.... I'm no expert. I stumbled through
building what works for the two of us..........
:thinking:
But you need to add up all the little bits. I was surprised at the totals. If
you want that 2" of insulation Why not use more foam(insulation) instead
of some of those 2x2's

I've often seen it said that you are not building a weight bearing house but
more like a light airplane.

Well I'm building mine in hopes of putting a collapsible tent (like below pic) on top for additional people. My gf's son is wheelchair bound and would/could use the teardrop while we sleep in the tent. It's a pipe dream, but planning for the future. I'm also a known offender of "overbuilding" so there's that too. But looks like I'll fit right in! haha

I'll cut back on the 2x2's and try to cut weight. I'm glad you mentioned it so that I don't go nuts with the supports!
Is there a way to weigh our trailers?
Attachments
moby1-teardrop-trailer-1.jpeg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg
tear with tent on top
moby1-teardrop-trailer-1.jpeg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Cody:

Sounds like your brain is rolling on this project!

I like this trailer because it also has ribs for the old walls that I'll use to ensure a secure mount to the trailer.

I'd run down to Harbor Freight and buy their cheap saws-all and cut that frame off. It's not going to do anything for you other than add weight and get in the way. There are several ways to tie your floor to your frame and then bolt the floor to the trailer.

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 pm

GO_C_DAVE wrote:Hey COCODY. David here.
Don't be afraid to wing it. BUT always dry fit first. That's like measuring twice cutting once. Regarding your insulation question. You can always try to sandwich "R max" insulation between 2sheets of 3/8 plywood. And just make sure your doors and windows are framed with 2x2. For support. Stay away from open cell insulation. It's too dusty. And itchy. :shock:
You have found the right place for information. Good luck and maybe I can see your build when I visit Denver

I generally work too fast for my own good and rarely dry-fit things, so that's a GREAT reminder for me. I'm working on slowing down and taking more time so I'll be sure to Dry Fit as I go along. Thanks for the Rec! :applause:

Please come see my build when you come into town! I'd love to get some in-person feedback. shoot me an email when you have dates planned.
golf coach sowa@ gmail. com (no spaces anywhere in the actual email, but added them here to keep email bots from adding me to lists) :beer:
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ColoradoCody » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 am

I'm working on a build journal post with step-by-step pictures (but plenty of "forgot to take a pic" steps too), but thought I'd post at least an update of the build so far. I was lucky enough to have a generous girlfriend who surrendered her garage to me for the winter so I wouldn't have to keep building in the snow and cold. So I'm a bit warmer and happier, but she also lives an hour from me so I really only get to do weekend work now. Not a bad trade off, but the work week is tough since all I can do is plan...

Besides being a good developer of patience, the winter build isn't too tough if you have decent lighting. It gets dark quick and that's my biggest hurdle so far. The only other real downside is that the glue doesn't work well in cold temps. So I've had to wait for warmer weather and add a heater to the garage so that the glue will bond better. I'm using screws too, but the glue will become more and more vital as I inch closer to my goal of getting the roof on.

This group has helped me a ton and saved me a lot of money on potentially wasted items and materials. But at the same time there are amazing ideas that have "forced" me to spend more money on cool accessories or build ideas. haha
Attachments
trailer update.JPG
Early Jan progress
trailer update.JPG (84.04 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

:thumbsup: Way to go!
My build has come to a crawl
too much rain... and my hatch isn't lining up :(
now the only thing holding me up is money :twisted:
I'll be in Denver in July to go see a Santana concert at Red Rocks
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:49 pm

GO_C_DAVE wrote::thumbsup: Way to go!
My build has come to a crawl
too much rain... and my hatch isn't lining up :(
now the only thing holding me up is money :twisted:
I'll be in Denver in July to go see a Santana concert at Red Rocks

Bummer about the weather. Isn't money always the issue!? haha
I just about finished the inside main quarters, but I'm struggling to find a bendable plywood for the front and read outter shell.

Are you bringing the TD out here for the concert or flying?
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 pm

The inside is almost done!
Attachments
Inside from Window.jpg
Interior update
Inside from Window.jpg (343.52 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 pm

My build is finally done. Here is a pic 148178148177148179
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 am

GO_C_DAVE wrote:My build is finally done. Here is a pic 148178148177148179

Dave! That came out great!!!!! I'm so jealous of your (trailer) skin. Have you taken it out yet? Also, what size is yours?

Here's my update. I've also come to a build crawl and hit a few "too late in the game" snags, but I'm not looking to build something that's supposed to look and be uber professional. I think I'm going to do the PMF on the top for waterproofing and possibly cut off the metal sides (like someone said I should do earlier, haha). Working on getting it tow ready so I can get her weighed. I build big and heavy as I knew I would, but am starting to have a little regret on the weight. May be fine, may not. Oh well, this has been a ton of fun so far!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves