Might sell the Silver Beatle - seeking input on its value

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Might sell the Silver Beatle - seeking input on its value

Postby aggie79 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 pm

For a combination of reasons, we may sell our beloved teardrop. The sale won't occur until after Beavers Bend and until after I complete the replacement of the air conditioner, so the sale date will probably be sometime this coming summer.

I have no idea as to what home-built teardrops sell for or what to ask for it. I would like to get a fair price for it but understand that the price will be considerably less than the material costs. The Camp Inn side tent would be included in the sale, and I'd throw in the port-a-potty if the purchaser would be interested. I'd also consider including the pop-up canopy although we may hang on to that.

Many of y'all have seen the Silver Beatle and I would highly value your thoughts on its value/worth.

Thank you,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Might sell the Silver Beatle - seeking input on its valu

Postby dogpound101 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Why? Why? Why? The Silver Beatle is one of the trailers that inspired me to start a build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doug
dogpound101
Teardrop Builder

Postby hikrynut » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:51 pm

We sold the Jewel Box for $5500 on craigslist 2 years ago, only took about 2 weeks. In hindsight, I'm certain could have gotten more. Of course YMMV, but I would think you could get at least $8000, possibly more for that fine looking trailer.
hikrynut
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:24 pm

I sold my partially unfinished teardrop for $6k and I was also thinking $8-$10k as a realistic price. Alot of people will try to say that because a teardrop is smaller it should cost less or the market is bad or whatever. as Forrest Gump says: "That market is as the market does". You may have a tighter market but the market is still there and your attention to detail and quality craftsmanship WILL be appreciated by the right buyer and I do not think that is a pie in the sky amount. I am glad you will still be at Beavers Bend too and hope you'll move into something else, maybe a little standy!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 pm

That is a beautiful well done Teardrop. While it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it I would expect to pay in the $8,000 range.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:46 pm

I would think a quality teardrop like yours would be like others have said in the $8-$10,000 range. The square no frills teardrops that you see start in the 6's. As well crafted as yours is..... I would start at 10 and go from there. I think the spring and beginning of summer is the best time for the best price.

Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. We are in a real conundrum about selling or not selling.

Ultimately, we'd like something larger with an inside bathroom. For me, I'd like to build a cargo trailer conversion. However, our biggest dilemma is finding time to camp, yet alone time for another build.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Tom, I have seen lottsa tears in the last dozen yrs orso(yours included) and yours is one of the nicest, well thought out teardrops out there...first thing I would say is...don't sell cheap, I would hang a price around 10 grand(even 12 to do some dickering) onit and hold as close as you can to that price...you are in no hurry to sell and have misgivings about it as well so, keep the price up to ease the pain abit...

...I do understand about the need for indoor "conveniences"...after LCG2015, where we sat for a week in steady rain, thepoorgirl and I had had enough and we ended up buying a 17' Casita...we sure do enjoy standing to dress and having a full bath to use at our convenience along with no more meat and such floating in the ice chest is priceless...the GatorTear,which after 10+yrs of steady use was in need of a bunch of remodel was sold to a good friend for a grand because I knew he would rebuild and use it...........
madjack 8)

...from this...

...to this...
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:20 pm

I would strongly consider the weight of a cargo conversion, I know Kenny said that was a big deal when they built theirs. Also, 10k in your pocket will make you feel better if you decide to sell. Think about what oind of small restored vintage trailer you could find in that range
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby dogpound101 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:12 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with 2bits
I wish I had the money but as it is I'm at the build as money allows stage

Doug
dogpound101
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:56 pm

I'll take it off yer' hands for 500-dollars... CASH!

Let me know.

CD :D
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Bad dog! To the doghouse with you before I get a rolled up newspaper.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby 2bits » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:45 pm

hehehe CD says "Let me know"! :lol: :poop:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby HotRod1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:21 pm

I hope you kept your profile pattern, I would buy that off you. Can't afford the trailer, I only have about 5K in my build fund and haven't started yet. You might take it to a few open car shows, cruise nights, etc. and just put a for sale sign on it for 10K or more. It would go quick. I did that with a canned ham about 5 years ago. Sold in an hour.

I plan on sliding sideways on fire yelling what a ride when the Lord calls me home.
HotRod1
Teardrop Builder

Return to South Central