In the design phase

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

In the design phase

Postby BigJake » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 am

Hello, I just received a trailer as a Christmas present. The trailer is the harbor freight 4x8. I have some basic questions to hopefully steer me in the right direction. I want to make a useful camper, but cost is a big consideration at the moment. At the same time I don't want to outgrow my camper's usefulness quickly.

I am thinking of making a somewhat boxy design with a rear entry door. Will the lack of a galley wall negatively affect my structural integrity?

I will be mostly camping in Florida, and will use the fantastic fan and have 2-3 windows. If I do not insulate my walls or roof, I have read that condensation at night is an issue, how big of an issue would that be for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigJake
Teardrop Inspector

Re: In the design phase

Postby yrock87 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:42 am

I would think that so long as you frame the rear wall to provide the lateral support that the galley wall traditionally provides you should be okay. Remember that most teardrops have no rear wall, only a hatch. The galley wall theirfore provides the strength that the rear wall of a simple box would normally provide.

I'm not saying you need heavy materials back there, just that you should make a conscious effort to box the rear corners at a minimum. You should be good with that.

How do you picture your interior layout with the rear door?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Re: In the design phase

Postby BigJake » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:49 am

Honestly, I'm thinking to have it as open as possible. I would probably put eyebolts in the floor and/or walls to strap down anything stored in the camper for travel and have as much floor space as possible for sleeping since I'm 6'4".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigJake
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques