convert pop up to hard side

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

convert pop up to hard side

Postby mariannf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi all,
I am considering a new build. I am thinking about buying an old pop up trailer (canvas sides) and converting it to a hard side travel trailer.
Do you know of any examples of this being done well? any tips or advice?

many thanks in advance!
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: convert pop up to hard side

Postby swoody126 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm

removing everything above the frame should render you a fine platform for a TTT

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby les45 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:00 pm

mariannf wrote:I am considering a new build. I am thinking about buying an old pop up trailer (canvas sides) and converting it to a hard side travel trailer.
Do you know of any examples of this being done well? any tips or advice?

That is exactly what I am currently working on. My hard walls will be lightweight and portable so the top can still be raised and lowered. You can see my status on my journal at:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
les45
500 Club

Postby prohandyman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Mariann
I did several with just that concept.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks Dan, Les and SW.
Les i'll follow your build...it looks great!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby tlsallada » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 am

I used a former pop up trailer to build the pictured retro styled camper. It's build using traditional wood frame construction and covered with FRP exterior and 5mm wood paneling interior.137259
tlsallada
Teardrop Builder

Postby Doublacola » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 am

I assume you want to leave the top and bottom and just replace the canvas with hard walls, leaving it up permanently ? That's what I'd like to do also but cannot find anything that looks really good. I've seen a few done but they don't look nice. If you do it keep us informed.
Good luck
Richard
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mariannf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Doublacola wrote:I assume you want to leave the top and bottom and just replace the canvas with hard walls, leaving it up permanently ? That's what I'd like to do also but cannot find anything that looks really good. I've seen a few done but they don't look nice. If you do it keep us informed.
Good luck
Richard

thanks Richard and Tlsallada.
Right Richard i am interested in using the base and the roof and replacing the canvas with hard side material. Thinking about it still...i f i come up with anything i'll post back here.
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:53 pm

mariannf wrote:
Doublacola wrote:I assume you want to leave the top and bottom and just replace the canvas with hard walls, leaving it up permanently ? That's what I'd like to do also but cannot find anything that looks really good. I've seen a few done but they don't look nice. If you do it keep us informed.
Good luck
Richard

Right Richard i am interested in using the base and the roof and replacing the canvas with hard side material. Thinking about it still...i f i come up with anything i'll post back here.

Under that thought, I'd be tempted to do something a little differently...maybe. If it's just the canvas that's bothering you, why not make removable foamie walls to replace the canvas? That way you might have the best of both worlds: low travel profile and ability to stand when the top is up. This would also allow you to use it now, while you work on your hard wall idea, too. Styrofoam is inexpensive, light weight, and somewhat forgiving to work with. Do you already have the pop-up?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby les45 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:02 am

S. Heisley wrote:
Under that thought, I'd be tempted to do something a little differently...maybe. If it's just the canvas that's bothering you, why not make removable foamie walls to replace the canvas? That way you might have the best of both worlds: low travel profile and ability to stand when the top is up. This would also allow you to use it now, while you work on your hard wall idea, too. Styrofoam is inexpensive, light weight, and somewhat forgiving to work with. Do you already have the pop-up?

Check my previous comment. That is exactly what I am doing with my current project: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
les45
500 Club

Postby mariannf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:29 am

S. Heisley wrote:
mariannf wrote:
Good luck
Richard

Hi there Sharon!
Well, i got the build-bug for sure...and good to hear from you on this thread.
I am following Les's build and yes thinking about fold/down foamie sides. I haven't bought the pop up. I am waiting until a good deal crops up on a pop up with a large (at least 6x12) box.
Happy New year!
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 pm

:D Happy New Year, Mariann!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Doublacola » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:32 pm

This is along the lines of what i've been thinking about. I would add several windows.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/vintage-a ... rt-studio/
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jandmz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 am

Doublacola wrote:This is along the lines of what i've been thinking about. I would add several windows.

The Apache people will try to talk you out of it. They get kinda sensitive about destroying an Apache.

There were a couple years that Apache campers could be ordered without bed ends. They are the shape that you are considering, retain the low profile towing advantages of a popup, and would require zero work converting one, other than what you would do to remodel the interior. They are hard to find, but do come available every now and then. I have only ever seen two like this. Here's a link.

http://www.apachepopups.net/albums/albu ... .sized.jpg
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby Doublacola » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 am

jandmz wrote:
Doublacola wrote:This is along the lines of what i've been thinking about. I would add several windows.

The Apache people will try to talk you out of it. They get kinda sensitive about destroying an Apache.

There were a couple years that Apache campers could be ordered without bed ends. They are the shape that you are considering, retain the low profile towing advantages of a popup, and would require zero work converting one, other than what you would do to remodel the interior. They are hard to find, but do come available every now and then. I have only ever seen two like this. Here's a link.

http://www.apachepopups.net/albums/albu ... .sized.jpg

This is what we currently have. The canvas is completely rotted out and so are the trays. We are looking for an economical way to reuse it.
Attachments
pu1.JPG
pu1.JPG (302.96 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion