Self leveling sealent

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Self leveling sealent

Postby bbrider » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:18 pm

I used the grey butal tape under the lip of my roof vent when I installed it. My roof is .040 aluminum. I am now wondering if I should get some of the self leveling sealant to apply over the mounting screws and to help seal around the vent body itself. I never liked how it always looked just poured on on my rv's, but that wasn't ever visible anyway on those where it will be on my Wee-Go. So what say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Re: Self leveling sealent

Postby les45 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm

I just installed my Fantastic Fan and I used the Dicor Lap Sealant self leveling type. I too was concerned about how much it would sag but it made a really nice bead around the frame. In the past I had used silicone caulk but after reading some posts here I decided to go with the Dicor so it would be easier to remove in the future when replacing or repairing the fan. I didn't put it on my screw heads since the screws go through the butyl tape. I consider that to be a little overkill plus it makes it harder to get a screwdriver on them if you have to remove them. You can see some pics and my discussion on this work on the last page of my journal at this link: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
les45
500 Club

Postby bbrider » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:17 pm

That looks pretty good les45. Did you use tape to make it have a clean edge? I thought that it was supposed to sort of flow out from where it was put to cover. I was thinking about getting a cover for mine as well, but I didn't think the big giant Camco cover I have installed on all my larger campers would look very good on my tiny wee-go. The one you used looks pretty good. More aerodynamic. I may see if I can find one like that in white.

I like your build too. I first thought about building mine was very similar to your weekender. Then I decided I wanted no galley and one rear entry door. We have used it 2 times now and love it. As I would suspect is the case with most builds it is an on-going project as we decide what we want to do with it. This group has been a wealth of information. Thanks for your reply.

Bill

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:42 am

bbrider wrote:That looks pretty good les45. Did you use tape to make it have a clean edge?

Bill

No tape. Just ran a bead like you would with any other caulk. I used my finger to level it down and make a kind of fillet look to it. It did settle just a little but it still formed a nice uniform bead all around.
les45
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:56 am

i realize this link goes off to another sport/game/process BUTT i think it is appropriate for this discussion

scroll down to the section on BUTYL TAPE and read...

there are a coupla pics that show the method

http://www.omick.net/adventure/sailing/ ... 0Work.html

i would think that this process/these materials would be quite appropriate for TNTTT's as well :thumbsup:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby bbrider » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 am

swoody126 wrote:i realize this link goes off to another sport/game/process BUTT i think it is appropriate for this discussion

scroll down to the section on BUTYL TAPE and read...

there are a coupla pics that show the method

http://www.omick.net/adventure/sailing/ ... 0Work.html

i would think that this process/these materials would be quite appropriate for TNTTT's as well :thumbsup:

sw
That is how I mounted my Fantastic fan too. I was second guessing myself, not unusual for me, and wondering if I should add the SL sealant as well over the screws and edge of the fan too. We are planning a two or three month trip to Alaska in 2018 taking almost 11,000 miles. Lots of rain and rough roads got me to thinking I need the extra protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques