Crawler Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Crawler Hauler

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

McDave wrote:
msnglinc wrote:
sleepsontoilet wrote:Where is the best place to buy stranded wire that everyone has found, both 12v and 120v? And how many feet on average should I expect for a basic camper setup? I hate to order too little and be 30' short.
I used extension cords for most of my 120volt runs. Simply buy good quality correct gauge cord and cut to length. Yes its a little pricey but very flexible and will have a good abrasion resistant jacket. You won't have a huge amount of 120volt if you have a 12 volt panel. Most of the 120 is gonna be in the kitchen area and that's where the panel will probably be.

+1 on extension cords. My only 120v runs are to outlets, other than 30a from inlet to power center and to A/C from breaker.

McDave

Even though it's a hack hauler, I was trying not to be too hack. But I have definitely thought about using Harbor Freight's 20% cyber coupon and buying a few. Is 12-14 gauge extension cord enough, or do I need to try and find 8-10 gauge?
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm

I used 8g from 30a inlet to power center, approx. 3ft and then 12g to A/C as per spec. and to outlets. I would,(and probably will) install more 120v outlets than originally planned. Just for convenience sake, maybe 2 front, 2 rear, 2 outside. I put one in Galley and one in cargo area. I did put one on a 25ft cord that is wired in to the breaker and stored inside under the counter/cabinet, it's very handy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 am

My 120V consisted of 1 exterior street side rear, 2 exterior door side fore and aft, 2 interior street side, 2 interior @ sink/V nose area, 1 AC in ceiling (not used but wired). Exterior outlets and kitchen area are GFI protected.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby msnglinc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:51 pm

McDave wrote:I used 8g from 30a inlet to power center, approx. 3ft and then 12g to A/C as per spec. and to outlets. I would,(and probably will) install more 120v outlets than originally planned. Just for convenience sake, maybe 2 front, 2 rear, 2 outside. I put one in Galley and one in cargo area. I did put one on a 25ft cord that is wired in to the breaker and stored inside under the counter/cabinet, it's very handy.

McDave

Same here, 8 gauge to load center from shore power inlet and then 12 gauge to everything else. Not worth buying 14 for the little cost savings. One thing you can do though is if you're doing 12 volt is buy different colors for each run. Makes it much easier to identify what the runs are going to.

Sleeps,
I wouldn't consider this a hack. If you try using romex you'll appreciate the jacket and flexibility of the extension cord. Buy good ones though.
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Whatever Gage wire you decide use.. just make sure you use the appropriate size breaker (or smaller) for each run. You can use the 14ga depending on what your intended use is, but make sure to have a 15A breaker (no larger). The 14ga is only good for 15A and since you never know what somebody will plug in... you must protect it. If you think you need greater that 15a on a circuit, certainly run a heavier gauge and a 20A circuit breaker.

You can run ~ 1650W from 15A circuit..so it is hard to imagine in a CTC what you'd run to blow that. I guess if you had a blow dryer and a microwave on the same outlets or running a large space heater.. :D :D

If you are not sure what you will be running later on... I'd just run the 12ga on the circuit runs and call it done. You can still put the 15A or a 20A breaker on it..

I didn't use extension cord when I built my CTC. I used 14ga Romex with 15A breakers on the circuits partially because it was easier to work with than the 12ga Romex. I actually didn't think of using the power cord at the time... but that certainly would have been easier looking back. I designed my CTC electrical system to run whatever I needed (to include the AC) from a Honda EU2000i or a 1500W pure sine gen.. so 12ga on the individual circuits would have been overkill in my case..,. but... it never hurts to go heavier than needed if cost is not a concern. Best of luck with your project! It is a custom job... so it should reflect your needs and use along with keeping in mind the electrical safety. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm

I had a busy set of off days, and am finally starting to do things that show progress, rather than redoing stuff. I have one small wall panel and a small roof panel left, ran all the 12v wiring for the lights inside and out, and put a coat of sealant on the roof.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions